For those up North...

Wish

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
@Wish I didn't realize you were photographing me well I melted the ice. I'm sure I'm not the only one. But I've had some pretty wacky thoughts about speeding up the melt. Anywhere from chainsaws. To backhoes. To ice augers. To diesel heaters. But as @pgmoore said. Alberta is gonna get some warm weather. C'mon spring.

• Baller_
@Chef spent many a spring in MN chipping away the ice at the boat ramp. Not sure exactly when it clicked that there are States that do not have that $hit. In disbelief I have scraped ice off my windshield of my car, built a 3" snowman out of tiny hail, and puled my daughter in a sled on my frosted over dock, but I can safely say that I have never chipped or melted ice of the lake here in FL

• Baller
Here in the Adirondacks, since 12/29/14 we have had 4 days that broke the freezing mark, all in January, none in Feb and none so far in March. Kicker is that we have had 46 days with below zero temps, looks like tonight will make it 47(out of 65). Watching trucks driving out on the lake to go to the ice fishing shacks. Looks like May will be the earliest skiing this year.

• Baller_
@thager Sooooooooo looking forward to that. The question is...why did I just agree to paint the house? So much for the extra light. But the lake aint frozen so ski time will be had. I need the football field across the lake to point their lights my way.

• Baller

Loved the snow and everything about it when I was a kid. As the years go on and on, about all

that I love now is snow skiing. Unfortunately, if you live Up North, you have to deal with the

other parts, especially the snow shoveling. Actually, I do like the challenge of driving in the

snow. But not enough to deter me from turning into a "snowbird" in the Wintah.

• Baller

Wonder about the above March 5 post by AB. Reminds me of setting courses through ice,

and making the holes using dynamite. Which might get me a sentence in federal prison

these days. In case you're interested: drill a pilot hole, set a 1/4 stick of dynamite at the

interface between the ice and water, and you get a more or less clean hole. Too low, and you

crack a bunch of ice. Too high, and you blow a lot of ice into the air. Fun times then. For

the SL gates, you'd do a simultaneous blast.

• Baller
@skibrain. Are those Fischer Superlights? got a pair last year, excellent track ski. Got about 20 days in so far this yr, many other downhill days and back country outings. Love waterskiing but if I had to choose water or snow it would be snow, hands down. I know, blasphemy on this site.

• Baller_
@adkh2oskier Depends on where you live. I think that would be a good poll question. In Minnesota, I will take water as long as I can drive to good ice fishing. If I lived in the Rockies, I may choose snow. Tough choice if you had to choose.

• Baller
@skibrain, We still have tons of snow on our trails, all natural. Have a 10k loop w many other interior loops if you want more. Great workout and now w the time change even time for loops after dinner. And now that we are above zero it is more enjoyable. We just have double track set for traditional, all volunteer crew that do a phenomenal job. Skate skiing is even more of a workout, wish I could maintain my aerobic status into waterski season, but the snow melts a lot faster than the 30" of ice on the lakes.

• Baller

My buddies went skiing on our river here in Eau Claire, WI last Saturday. There's still ice in some of the bays, but at least ski season is approaching.

@MS, I drove passed Prior Lake on the way to play a concert in Northwood, IA on Sat. How far off 35 is your site? With the amount of shows I have your way this summer, I may have to pack a can of fuel and a cooler of cold ones, and hit you up for a pull.