In Season Strength Training/Maintenance

Rpc29

• Baller
When healthy I continue to work out during the season but cut the intensity back a little. I try to squat and deadlift once a week plus other stuff for core. Before I hurt my shoulder pullups/pushups were a regular component. No real benching. I also had something aerobic in the mix. Not nearly as intense as the off season. It seemed to help.

• Baller
As in the article that KC wrote that @Jibbo posted, I focus on my core especially. I do core exercises everyday, your abs can recover very quickly unlike other muscle groups in your body. I also do pull-ups and chin ups, as well as lunges and squats. I do stay away from the gym, I was never a fan of lifting weights, plus you'll save your hands for when you ski. ON days you do ski really hard or take a a lot of sets, stay away from weights and exercise, let your body recover. I remember reading an article that said 15min of waterskiing is equivlaent to a 45min workout!

• Baller

In order to 'keep up all the of strength gains' you made in the off-season would require you to lift the same weight (frequency and intensity) through the on-season. For me, this isn't logical as I start to ski more, so I'm willing to sacrifice some strength for skiing.

The best way I know how to maintain as much strength as possible is to still lift heavy on a less frequent basis. Most of my on-season gym work is spent keeping my flexibility, especially anything that attaches to my pelvis, and keeping my conditioning up. I also do a lot of scapular work to account for some imbalances I have that limit my skiing. Point is, figure out what makes you ski well and work on those.

• Baller
@Colebrah-I assume that is 15 min of actual skiing which would be the equivalent of 53 pass in the slalom course. 900 sec(15Min X 60 Sec)/16.95 sec=53 passes. Um, pretty sure I don't make that many passes in a week.

• Baller
For my body type I do more cardio to keep my weight under control. Lots of bike riding, and rollerblading. I am going to keep doing the Insanity workouts, but I am going to do the month 1 workouts to save energy to ski.

• Baller
It's a catch 22 that I grapple with every season. I work my ass off all year to ensure I'm prepared for ski season, but when the season gets here, I can't bare to lose the gains. I do cut back from four/five workouts a week to 2/3 depending on how much skiing Im doing. I try to ensure dead lifts only happen on days I'm not skiing and if I do both the same day, it's at opposite ends of the day