Hand Position Question

akale15

• Baller

What is the correct handle position for LFF and RFF skiers? I have been reading contradicting reports so I'm unsure which is correct?

It seems there is an advantage and I would like to start this seasons free skiing off with some correct technique if in fact I am holding the handle incorrect.

• Baller

I am RFF with righty batting grip. I have tried to switch several times, and cannot make it work. However, I have varying handiness depending on activity

Left handed golf, hockey, baseball, piano hand dominance

Right handed writing, racquette sports, goalie (hockey), surgeon, drinking hand

So, I'm messed up.

I am sure as the rope gets shorter, this will become a bigger issue for me.

• Baller
Razorross has it correct, BUT if it doesn't work for you, don't sweat it. Many skiers are reversed and do it just fine. I'm opposite, and switched a few times. It makes my offside come around better, but it hinders the onside. Anything you change in slalom is a tradeoff.

• Baller

Lucky Lowe used a backwards grip, IIRC.

I always described it as: while holding the handle parallel to the water, your front foot hand is palm down. LFF = L palm down, RFF = R palm down

If you want to try to switch your grip, it helps if you have a long commute to work... Grip the bottom of the steering wheel in the desired grip. It will allow you to develop a familiarity such that it feels more normal on the handle. Unfortunately, most of us spend more hours behind the wheel than on the ski handle.

• Baller

If you hold it correctly, it affects your offside the most. When you finish the turn, the handle is about 6 inches closer to the hip. It helps that finish of the turn. The problem with the "wrong" grip is that you have a tendency to reach for that handle...because the hand you're reaching with goes on top , and it causes you to permit a bit of separation between the handle and hips. Some feel that separation is much easier to deal with on your heel side/good side turn.

• Baller
I asked Lucky about this once. His take on it is that if you were duck hunting and you were aiming with the gun resting on your right shoulder your left foot would be in front and your left palm would be up. He also said if you were in a tug of war pulling with your left foot in front of your right you would grip the rope with left palm up and right palm down.

• Baller

@braindamage, the theory is that:

1. Your leading arm has more load coming into the wake,

2. Your palm up grip is stronger,

3. Your offside wake crossing is weaker,

4. So, put the palm up grip on your leading hand when crossing the wake in the offside lean for a more balanced result.

• Baller

One thing to think about is that your hips cannot be as open on your off-side lean as on the on-site. While we may strive for similar amount of shoulder openness for both wake crossings, the hips are pretty tied to the stance on the ski and will be different. (There some wiggle room depending up flexibility, but not much.) Your hips are just rotated closed more on the off-side lean. Thus, the off-side lean will tend to rest the handle against the side of the "trailing" hip, while the on-side lean will tend to rest the handle more at the front of the "trailing hip.

9k35419u5i4u.jpg hjyscjiomlse.jpg

This different hip rotation may lend itself to one grip method and how to align the elbows more closely.