03 LXI wake question

WBLskier

• Baller
My sister is considering buying an '03 LXI. She has little kids (8 and 11). How are the wakes on that boat for slalom at slow speeds (20-24) as compared to something smaller like a '91 prostar 190? How would the wakes compare at 32 and 34? Thanks!

• Baller
We regularly ski behind an 03 Lxi a 94 Prostar and an 03 Outback DD. My daughter (10) is learning to pull across the wakes 16-18mph. She ranks the Prostar 1st (clear winner), Outback 2nd, and LXi 3rd. At faster speeds the Prostar probably still takes it but you'll deal with spray at really short lines. The other 2 bigger boats get much better at faster speeds.

• Baller
2004 LXI PP, my daughter first slalomed behind the LXI at about 11 years old, before that she learned behind the 9.9 hp tin boat because she was a little nervous to ski behind the big boat. Now she's 14 and skis at 22 to 24 mph. The wake was pretty large but very soft and round at 16 to 18 mph. Now it's very nice at 24. She's mostly a recreational skier but has tried the inner buoys multiple times. We are totally happy with the LXI and the first year or so below 20 mph passes very quickly. Still waiting for the big thaw in Ontario!

I'm interested in this too. I ski at 34 mph -15 off. Life changes are potentially forcing me to get a larger boat with an open bow and a tower.... ;(.

I know I'm going to compromise on the ski wake from my current boat, but lets be serious, I'm not planning on setting any records anytime soon. I've been casually looking at both the RLX and RLXI. Is the interior space that much larger in the RLXI? Is the boat wake much different between the two boats at 30-34 mph?

Maybe I'll put my boat up for sale and see what happens.

• Baller

my LXI has open bow and tower, we use it as our lake runabout. It will fill the narrow bow with water when picking up a skier or tuber if you have a front passenger or two and aren't careful. The txi is better as it has a higher freeboard. Large lake equals rough ride but all in all the LXI is exactly what we needed.

• Baller

I have an LX and my son learned to ski the course behind that without trouble. My neighbor has an LXI and his 3 girls all ski the course behind his boat. They started small and young and now two of them are capable of running into 22 or 28 off at 34 mph.

I had a conversation with Marcus Brown about wakes and kids at Nationals when the new Prostar was released. I was of the belief that there is some benefit to learning behind a boat with bigger wakes if you can learn proper body position behind an LXI for example the newer boats will all feel good in tournaments. Marcus indicated there was benefit to learning behind softer wakes so you could learn good body position without fear.

I can see both sides. That said there is no reason that your sisters kids can't learn to ski well behind the LXI. All the new boats have softer wakes than the boats had 30 years ago and people learned to ski behind them.

• Baller

I went from a '93 SN196 to my '04 LXI about 3 years ago when my kids were 7 and 11. Unfortunately, I can't comment much on the slow wake comparison, as my older one didn't start slalom until we had the LXI. The LXI wake looks pretty big to me in the 20-25mph range, but starts getting pretty reasonable above that. I love the wakes for my rec skiing at 34. I think they're a little better than my '93 SN at that speed. Definitely seems like the wake quality degrades less as the passenger/cargo load goes up.

And, although the OP didn't ask, there's a huge benefit over the 19ft boats in room and versatility. Just the moderate extra width and length, along with ski locker and tower for stowage, makes a huge difference. And, although the OP only asked about the slalom experience for the kids/slow-speed, my younger guy loves surfing and wakeboarding for which the wedge is great. And, who even knows if kids that age are ever really going to want to slalom?

So, it's probably not the right boat if you're just trying to optimize for 20-25 mph slalom speed, but, it's been great for our family of 4 for a whole bunch of other reasons.

OT I know but, I'd have to disagree about the wedge. At least for surfing. Any SV23 Diamond hull is terrible for surfing though. Worst surf wake ever. The wedge only makes things worse. There is much more to surf wakes than just pure height.

• Baller_
Something to help any boat to reduce wake size at slower speeds is to make sure the transom area in particular is as light as possible. At slower speeds there is more bow rise, so to compensate for that reducing any rear weight helps. Removing the wedge from the boat when not in use will help the Malibu gang along with things like low fuel level and not filling the trunk with stuff.

• Baller
The 03-06 LXi has a terrific wake, it's a wonderful hull. I ski behind a 04 Response CB and an 06 LXi regularly, the LXi has a considerably better slalom wake particularly at lower speeds than the RCB, my wife being the very senstitive judge of both at 26mph slalom @-15. I think the RCB could use 100lbs in the bow, it rides bow high for some reason. Both the LXi and the RCB guy have kids learning the course and they are fine behind both boats. I give the nod to the LXi in every aspect, driving, storage, ergonomics, and wake. It's the best value for a used slalom boat w/walkthrough open bow on the market, IMO. 06 RLXi has DBW so I bet with Z-box you could get a pretty solid ZO pull on it as well. Also a good footing wake and trick wake. Win all around.

• Baller
Check out Mastercraft X7. great all around boat. Owned one for about six years. There was three on our lakes at one point in time, all the owners loved them. Mine could not be upgraded for ZO so sold it to get SN200.

• Baller
@ozski I dont spend a whole lot of time at -35, and when I do, the farthest I get is 2 ball. That said, I havent really noticed a dip at that length. Also, I have only been at 35 behind a 99 Nautique and a 200. So 3 very different kinds of boats and wakes.

I skied behind an 06 RLXI and really liked it. I agree with the above statements of the RLXI wake being better softer than the R CB and RLX. I still think at 28-34 mph -15' my old Tige had a better wake, but at -22' off and all the additional room the RLXI is much nicer.

Well look what I found in my driveway this morning ;)

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f169/joeprunc/photo%202_zps7yo552ce.jpg

• Baller
Looks like a nice boat from what we can see! Yes for an all round boat the RLXi is hard to beat, amazing storage and room and yet really nice wakes. Your old Tige probably did have better 15 off wakes it was basically a Centurion Falcon hull which had nice wake and spray charactericstics for the day. That design got enlarged in 2000 to Response & Lxi sizes and became the Eclipse and Elite.

II took it out this weekend and picked up a ball, I made it around 3 @ -22'. I know I'll have this pass in the bag in the next few weeks.

I do like everything about this boat, the wake, the build, the interior, the storage, the throttle by wire, the GPS Stargazer is dialed, the open bow, the look. And yes I think this wake is better than the RLX, even with 40 gallons of fuel in it ;). And I was able to drop the wedge on the way home back to the house and let others wakeboard ;).

I am very very happy with the boat!! If only I didn't have to work.