installed my dock today (photos)

Than_Bogan

• Baller
@Than_Bogan and others who freeze over, interested to know at what temp do you switch from a dry suit to a steamer? Or if you even use a dry suit at all? We don't freeze over at all here in Oz, had a ski yesterday in 14C (57F) and that was cold enough, steamer does an amazing job to keep warm.

• Baller_

@richarddoane, my fellow ski club members will attest that I hold the distinction as supreme wimp. I'll wear my drysuit into the 70s (air and water). I actually ski better with it on. Only when the water and air are both around 90 (which is rare here) do I ski the same in just a heater top and shorts than I do in the suit. My muscles just move better when they are warmer and I never could take cold well at all.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

I will wear a dry suit for however long. I won't wear one past Memorial Day and don't like the idea of a wetsuit past then.

Of course one year with ice out on May 12 or 13 that was a tough pill to swallow.

Being as I am on a public lake in northern MNit takes awhile for the water to get warm

• Supporting Member

Ooh, is it time for a no-holds-barred Wimp Off!?

In New England, I'm pretty sure I'm the wimpiest. I can't ski for my life when I'm cold, and that can happen easily. And once I GET cold, it's really hard for me to warm up again. I'm actually still looking for a tournament-worthy solution for the cooler days, and hoping some sort of Camaro is going to allow me to get "normal" performances throughout the "summer" temperature range.

I almost always wear the drysuit until June, preferring to be driven out of it by getting much too warm.

But it sounds like I might have some competition above!! :smile:

• Supporting Member

Oh also: ICE-OUT TODAY!

Seeing as I was able to stand on it yesterday, I'm pleasantly surprised. I guess it finally reached that tipping point where the last flotilla went off very quickly.

So 4/13 beats the old record by 4 days.

• Baller
@Than_Bogan is a scrawny thing so he gets cold fast unlike me who has an over abundant supply of body fat. I will say that with his dry suit Than skis in all conditions frequently when I decide it is colder or windier than I want to ski in. Than's strategy gets him maximum ski days in our short season.

• Baller
In Michigan we (finally) had a nice weekend, got 5 of 8 dock sections in yesterday, hoist and the rest of the dock later this week, should be skiing by Friday 70 degrees forecasted but I'll be in a dry suit for sure.

• Baller_

@Than_Bogan,

I accept your challenge.

1. I have been known to wear a dry suit in every ski month.

2. I have worn it in air temperatures as high as 80 when the water was still in the 60s.

3. I wore it in a fall tournament where two little girls (about 8 and 10) skied in regular swimsuit and possibly rashguard.

My weight, blood pressure and heart rate are the biggest issues.

140 pounds

Blood pressure has been as low as 86/60 during a normal day and always on the low side of the desired range.

Heart rate in the low 50s (dropped below 40 in post-op recovery and set off some alarms)

Hands and feet like ice to the touch - my wife will attest. She has actually checked me for breathing and a pulse during the night.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Supporting Member

@MISkier I think I have to gracefully accept defeat. I guess it just goes to show there's always somebody closer to the tail of the distribution!

Technically, I did once wear a drysuit when BOTH the air and water were 80+ degrees, but I had a high fever that day. Probably not fair to count that.

It's a mildly interesting story how I got to this point: As a kid, I was always way too warm (in the air). My metabolism basically meant I had a little fire going all the time. BUT the second I got into the water I'd cool right down -- water has always gone right through me and cooled my whole body. So naturally I spent a lot of time in the water and was very attracted to water sports. Today, that has run it's course all the way to a sometimes-amusing liability.