How many sets does a ski have in it

jimski

• Administrators
for my weight and skiing level I would expect the ski to be diminished after 250 sets. After 500 sets I would expect most skis to be all used up.

• Baller

What is the definition of "used up?" I know that with snow skis most people consider skis "used up" when they don't rebound quickly, thus making them feel dead. Might this be the same with waterskis? If a ski doesn't snap back to its original shape very fast after being bent during the pressures of a turn, perhaps this would be considered "used up?" I guess the definition would need to be more specific about the "used up" rebound rate in relation to its original rebound rate.

I suppose the flex would also be a factor in that if a ski required less pressure over time to bend it a certain amount this would change the performance characteristics of the ski. So perhaps it is a change in both flex and rebound rate that determine the life of a ski? I would imagine flex would be a lot easier to measure than rebound rate.

• Baller
I know a skier who runs 39 and is a BIG guy and skis heavy... He is still on an A1. Another guy I know who runs into 39 is still on a 9900. He skis even harder than the first guy. I would never stop skiing on my vapor just because I hit 500 sets.

• Baller
I think for most of us the break down in most skis today is slower than the rate of improvement in design. In other words if your ski is 3 years old it may still work fine but by then there will be better skis available which will be a better reason to refresh.

• Baller

Didn't someone measure old skis and find that they had stiffened over time? Makes sense as epoxy gets stiffer with age. Skis can last a very long time.

@bishop8950 has it right. Old skis get stale with time. New skis rock!

Eric

• Baller

@TallSkinnyGuy Most snow skis have wood cores that carry much of the load. Wood changes a lot with time and load. Plus the flex displacement is much more than a waterski. My Goode snow skis (all composite with no wood) have held up well for many years of hard bump skiing.

Waterskis don't flex much. The good ones usually flex the least. A good old ski can rock.

Eric

• Baller

Show us the numbers for the softening of a ski over time. I remember someone on this site did that and was surprised that some of the skis had stiffened.

Obviously things can damage and soften a ski. But normal ski use should not - at least the ones I build.

Perhaps that last comment will get me another Panda. I have to be in the lead for most Pandas.

Eric

• Baller

In this thread:

- data-backed opinions —> low

- opinions that support whatever you would like to justify (including 'I need to buy myself a new ski immediately' and 'my 10 year old ski performs just like new' ) —> very high

• Baller

@ShaneH My old Goode snow skis are foam core. At least foam comes out of the holes when I mount bindings. Some of the new ones are wood core and heavier (bad move in my opinion - but I haven't skied them). New marketing guy...

My wood waterski experiences make me not trust the longevity of wood. Wood softens, warps and rots - all of which ruins a ski. Old wood skis belong on a wall or maybe in a one ski for all tournament.

My old skis break. Then I certainly need a new one. If they don't break they are too heavy and I need a new one.

Eric

• Baller
One of my favorite skis a Goode 9100 flexed essentially the same as new 9 years later. I have had catastrophic failures of them months of new. I think Dave's skis will not break down much over time. There either broken or OK. The earlier generation skis, Connelly's etc definitely had a lifespan. There is no one on the planet who stresses a ski like Kyle Jones does and he has ridden an HO believe A1 for 8 years and it is still good. This is an impressive feat for a ski as he flex's the boat pylon all the way to the motor box. He even flex's the pylon out toward the buoy. My hat's off to HO on that one. In my opinion, when buoys seem wider, you may need to hop on another ski and see if yours has broken down. I keep my old 9100 for this very reason.