O'Brien G5 66 vs 67?

whitem71

• Baller

Just had a 67 Endo warranted by O'Brien for surface delamination (anyone else had similar?) and I've been offered a G5 (2014). Problem is, I'm not sure whether to go for a 66 or 67? I'm 5'9 and 155lbs, running into 32off@34. The Endo was nice but had a prev 66 sixam ss

Any thoughts?

• Baller

Go for a 66" At your weight, the 67" will ride high in the water. It will be fast cross-course but it will leave you with too large a turn radius (unless you go for unusual fin settings). Last year I tried the 68" G5, I have several 67" Elites (with different flex patterns) which have the same planform and bottom shape as the 67" G5, and then I tried the 66" G5. At the time I tried the 66", I weighed about 170lbs and was skiing at 34mph. I kept the 66" G5 and I am quite happy with it.

If you want more detail on my review/experience, do a search for Horton's O'Brien G5 Review and scroll down until you find my comments from October 2014.

• Baller

@jayski The information that I received stated that, with the exception of the change in sidewall thickness to adjust for compression molding (which was also found to result in a better overall performing ski than the Endo), the planform and bottom shapes were the same. This info was confirmed again, today, with O'Brien. So, you are correct, none of the G5's are the "same" as the Endo/Elite. Nor, will they ski exactly the same. However, again, I was only talking about the planform and bottom shape.

The thicker sidewall will create more lift when the ski is on edge, which is another reason for @whitem71 to go for the 66" over the 67".

• Baller

@jayski is correct--none of the G5's are the same as the Elite in shape. Each ski has been an evolution of its predecessors, but a completely new shape. The G5 is a remarkably comfortable and high performing ski.

• Baller
Lucky enough to ski with Glenn Campbell last weekend - fantastic guy - and he was explaining why he's on the 68.5 G5 this year... he and Drew shaped it to both suit the larger frame (I.e. both of them) yet demand a responsive and fast turning ski. I think the traditional 67 was just a bit too small for him but the previous 68 was shaped a little large. Sick graphics too.