92 Supra Comp

xrated

• Baller

In the process of boat shopping. Came across a fairly clean looking Supra Comp.

I know next to nothing about them. A search let me know the curved windshield 92s were composite stringers.

According to the guy selling it is indeed composite.

412 hours on a 351 Ford according to him.

Anyone skied behind this?

Not gonna be running balls but I want something that will be enjoyable for skiing on our public lake. I ski around 30-32, wife runs around 24-26. I should be higher but have been lacking ski time.

Also wanting something to get the kids going.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/boa/4976922543.html

• Baller_

Owned an '87. So upside to that boat is the open water ride. It does far better then most of that era at handling rough water. Deep V helps. So great open water boat. They track very well, feel like a sports car to drive and with sloped front (a Supra innovation) forward visibility Is exceptional. Just watch out for big waves if you have 3 adults up front. Nose is very close to the water.

No other boat of that era had a trunk...I think...also good for all day cruise. Thay are roomy and feel more upscale then others. Grab rail on platform is awsome for kids to hang on when shut down for a swim. That's the one thing I miss about mine.

So downside is its not the smallest wake out there in that era. Especially at the speeds you talking. Rooster tail will exist but very few inboard models of that era have exceptional wakes and they all will cost you more. But kids will prob ride other board sports sooo..whatever keepsm on the water.

That price is not horrible and if thats just asking it could turn into a good deal. Especially if the interior is in good shape with no stressed seams or rips. Bimini and cover will make it a better deal as well. It is all composite by the way.

I have a 92 Comp, and it is a GREAT ski boat! The ski wake is as good if not better than any early 90's boat. My buddy has a 88 and there is quiet a difference. That comp in the add is a very nice looking boat. For what you are looking for it is a excellent choice. The 351W is a strong engine and yes curved windshield is all composite. The only wood in that boat is motor box base, and a couple side panels up by drovers knees.

If you are on a public lake chances are you will dip the nose a few times. IMO the comp has the best lines of that era. 5 people in the boat gets a little cramped, wakeboarding is ok with 800 -1200 lbs of ballast you will just have to make sure to stop and wait for the wake to pass you before turning. If you have any more questions feel free to send me a PM or check out the forum supraboats.com/bbs/forum.php there is a ridiculous amount of knowledge there.

• Baller
I owned a 88 model (I think) and suffered from the dreaded wood rot that Supra Comps always had. Looks like they finally fixed that problem with composite. Agree with @wish about the rooster tail at slower speeds. IMO the Supra Comp was a great public lake boat (for its time) that looked great and drove great.

• Baller
It looks very clean from the pics, indicative of pilot ownership indeed. Even in pics, not many 92's look that clean and tear/scuff free. I skied behind a mid-90's Comp a couple of years ago, and recall a nasty rooster, but then again there were 3 people in the boat.