Using car wax for boats?

Tdub

Just curious. Has anyone used car wax such as Ice for your boat. Are there properties in boat wax that are meant for fiberglass that are not in car wax? Turtlewax Ice seems to work great but not sure if it is good for glass. And the automotive quick waxes work great as well. Thoughts? Thanks.

I prefer paint sealants over wax due to their longevity and my wipe down process includes spraying the boat down with a "fast wax" spray to help protect and clean.

That being said for years and years before I found sealants I used Meguiars or Collinites wax on my boat and it always worked well.

• Baller
Car wax is safe on a boat finish, the protection does not last as long. Nu Finish is good for a top coat after the finish is clean. The Meguiars flagship wax, or 3M protector wax are more effective for boats.

• Baller

What are you talking about? Wax is for mold release. Or ears.

Is pool acid (the serious cleaning product) considered automotive or marine? Why would you want to remove that protective coating of dirt anyway?

Eric

• Baller

Guess I'm old fashioned. I just use the Collinite 885 once or twice a year and then wipe down with Eagle One Marine Wax as you Dry.

Whatever the pro detailer used right before I bought my boat was super shiny, slippery and lasted about 4 trips out.