Camaro Blacktec RULES

Than_Bogan

• Supporting Member

Wow. I finally got to try out the long sleeve top with short legs Blacktec.

Really impressive. No mobility issues at all, but the shocker (or lack thereof!) was getting into some pretty cold spring water and being fully warm. And this coming from a certified temperature wuss who would normally be wearing a drysuit!

This is a game-changer for wetsuits. It's hard to believe it could be so warm, but it almost acts like a (lightly) insulated drysuit because it lets in so little water. I wouldn't try it right after ice-out, I guess, but I was flat out amazed.

And I am optimistic I just found my solution for those occasional cold-as-hell tournament rounds around these parts.

Also, thanks @waterskigirl for hooking me up with one! I'll be ordering a second one soon.

There's little difference in warmth between my dry suit and blacktec 2 mil full suit. Huge difference in comfort though. Not enough water exchange with the camaro to pee in it though- have to use the boat shower if you want to prewarm it.

• Baller
I have the blacktec long sleeve top and yes they rule. This spring was strange. I was good to wear it right after ice out. Never had to wear the drysuit. And not sure how it can be so warm And so thin.

• Baller_

I thought I was gonna read some actual rules.

Rule 1. Buy Camaro

Rule 2. Toss out all other wetsuits

Rule 3. Buy a spare Camaro.

Rule 4. Buy Camaro for as a gifts for that special someone

Rule 5. Repeat.

• Baller

Yet another product that I'll miss out on being 6'5" 250lbs. I would buy one of these in a heartbeat if I thought it would fit. I think I had to wait 3 years before the Radar Strada bindings came in size 13-14 :# At least there is a 71" Senate now, I'm just trying to be patient till a cosmetic blem or other deal shows up on one of those.

Anybody comment on how these suits actually fit in relation to the size chart on the websites?

• Baller
@Sethro I'm a tall 6'1" and 215 (down from 230), reasonably trim and the XXL fits tight, aka perfect. So if your a slender 6'5" with some extra round the middle then XXL might fly. If your a bigger build 6'5" and so reasonably fit at 250 then no way for XXL. Buddy of mine played tackle for a D1 school in college and now at 6'4" 250 and 52 he is very trim, just huge as always. No way he's getting into it at all. Camaro does have a program for custom builds, measurement sheet on their website. Camaro standard is $ so the custom is probably $$$ but a custom suit would fit perfect.

• Baller
The Camero stuff is fragile - but it does rock. Definitely call Robbie. She gives good service and advice. I have a long torso and she really worked with me to find the right fit. My BlackTec top is 1/2 the weight and thickness of a regular neo top but twice as warm.

• Supporting Member
So, yeah, this long sleeve/shorty is crazy. Wore it last night on what surely would have been a drysuit day for me in the past, and it was comfortable, flexible, and plenty warm enough. Seems impossible.

• Baller
I have to say, I really like my full Blacktec. It's incredibly warm for how thin it is. I know it's supposed to be tight, but mine is ridiculously tight. I'm 5'11'' and 175lbs. and always wear larges, but I'm thinking an XL Blacktec would fit me better. It's so tight, I think it's going to burst. Any thoughts?

• Supporting Member

I think tight is pretty important. Part of the warmth seems to come from the fact that it keeps out a lot of water.

I'm 6'2" 170 and I often wear XL (though mainly for the sleeve length). Robby recommended the L for me, and while it's true the sleeves come up a little short (leaves room for the gloves :smile:), I believe the tight fit is part of the miracle of these suits.

If it's uncomfortable, then go up a size for sure. But if it just seems super tight, I think that's intended.

• Baller

I went from my drysuit to my Blacktec last week and was having trouble taking deep breaths when I dropped at the ends. I thought it was my new vest, but it was the suit.

• Baller
@TWB I am the friend that @Chef23 speaks of and my medium fits very well and is not too small. It does feel tight but stretches where it needs. It does feel like I am straining the suit when putting it on and taking it off but it has held up so far. I actually like it tight to keep the water out.

• Supporting Member

Thought I should bump this thread, because after a few days of unusually cold rain, the water temp for the first tournament was into that range where normally I'd be having some trouble. I threw on my Blacktec 3/4 suit and BAM -- super warm with no loss of mobility.

About as close as a wetsuit could ever come to a miracle. Doesn't make sense that something so thin could be so warm. If you haven't discovered Camaro yet, get your ass to Robby Ski Shop's website and order up!!

Aside: I have a side injury due to tampering with my OB4 in an as-it-turned-out-dangerous way, so my actual skiing was quite short-lived. In fact, more than anything I wanted to test the suit -- otherwise I might have been smart enough to scratch. The total success of the 3/4 suit as my cold-day tournament option is great news for the future!

• Supporting Member

@Horton I wear something that could be considered a wetsuit year-round. Combine skiing only in mornings or evening with being in New England and being a Certified Wuss, and it's not even a hard decision.

But then sometimes a cold front comes through and a tournament round or two can get outside my comfort range with a wetsuit top. This used to happen very rarely, but global climate change and/or getting old caused it be frequent in the last few seasons, so I am PSYCHED that I seem to have found the solution.

@rfa You too! So great to catch up with some of the waterski community!! Yeah, healing along, but probably won't ski until at least the weekend. Feeling better now that I'm 99% sure I caused the problem and can trivially un-cause it.

• Supporting Member

I think I've been busted. But my attack was amusing (to me anyhow) for a few hours. I tried to get @MattP to change the actual Horton's icon to Incrediboy, but apparently he doesn't have that level of permission. So my feeble impostor account was the best I could do.

P.S. I say the same thing to the folks who ruin (the actual) Horton's April Fools jokes every year: Let it roll and don't ruin it for everyone else!