Going to take a few weeks off (months)

Horton

• Administrators

Since the conspiracy theories have already started…

I was skiing in a tournament Saturday and strained something in my left bicep. The moment it happened I thought I ruptured the bicep tendon. I was at the wakes going to one ball at 38 and felt a big scary pop in my arm. I was sure my season was over.

As of today it seems like a lot of stress over nothing. No swelling or discoloration. It is sore and tender is some strange ways but nothing terrible. I can’t lift much with that arm but I am typing with two hands. I told Gallagher that I cannot change diapers so I might have to milk it …

Goode ★ HO Syndicate ★  KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes ★ Baller Video Coaching System

Drop a dime in the can

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
And before the Crack pot advice starts rolling in I will listen to my Orthopedic Dr, @MrJones and maybe @skidawg

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller_
I would also listen to @JohnCox as his actually did rupture. From a listening standpoint and after you get it looked at, I'm betting his rehab knowledge is considerably higher then most.

• Baller
I had the same thing happen a few years ago, it may be a small tendon in your bicep, it heals fairly quick but your bicep won't look the same. No surgery required, It can happen at the top or bottom of the bicep, mine was at the bottom, but a friend of mine did both of his at the top

• Baller
+1 on the @JohnCox advice approach. Spent some time talking to him this weekend about his injury and recovery/rehap and no doubt he's got a lot of knowledge! Plus his upper arm is bigger than my thigh....

• Administrators
@waterskicorey I think I did not rupture anything. Not skiing till then. I see Orthopedic tomorrow

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

i've got five bucks says you did a partial rupture and its just a matter of time before you complete the job. Not trying to be mr doom and gloom but a partial tear virtually never heals back without surgery and whatever you did to cause it you will almost certainly do again.

doesnt matter how strong your muscles are, your tendons determine how much load you can take on a bent arm without injury.

• Baller
@horton after having ruptures both, almost 10 years apart from each other, get an mri asap as the biceps tendon blood supply is minimal so bruising/discoloration may not show. with that said you have a small window to have it fixed if it is ruptured without doing a tendon graft if you were to wait too long.

• Administrators
@Bruce_Butterfield think @skidawg has a master's degree in exercise physiology or some such

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

@Bruce_Butterfield is correct about all of the above, but I do remember plenty from my 13 years in the physical therapy business-if I don't know, I defer to @MrJones

PS - a good Dogfish 90 will cure most anything

• Administrators

@MrJones hypothesized an interesting scenario this morning. Since I have chronic tendonitis and I have not experienced any discoloration or swelling maybe the POP was scare tissue breaking away. Maybe that is optimistic but I like the idea.

Again until I see my orthopedic it is all a guess. I feel like I could go ski right now but am going to follow a VERY conservative path. Even if I feel 100% I will not ski for a few weeks. I cannot take a chance of a real injury. I have too many skis to test. I am getting measured for a Power Vest tonight.

Drop a dime in the can

• Members
@Horton , The Power Vest might be a smart move, I bought and used one after shoulder surgery, it got me back on the water but it has a learning curve of it's own. I reccomend you heat mold the the plastic panel in the back, makes it feel/fit much better. Good luck !

• Baller
Listen to your body. The Wednesday before my season ended last year, I strained my left bicep. That Monday with no hit at all to speak of off the ball, my bicep was rolled up at my shoulder. Cost me a season. Give it whatever time it needs to avoid what I did...

• Baller
I skied through it last Sept and have been working my way up to curling 30lb dumbells, with slight pain, (used to work with 40-50's). Couldn't do 10 lbs without intense pain most of winter. You don't want to go through what I am now hopefully getting over the hump with. Dr. said tendonitis. Why isn't other arm sore as well? If I handle heavy objects today, it will be sore for 3-4 days, grrr... I know I am old and don't heal, so maybe that has a lot to do with it, but don't strain it worse. (I thought I partially tore something when skiing to start all of this bs)

• Baller

Me to sports medicine fellowship trained orthopedic surgeon..."But Tom (friend of mine), I can handle the pain...you think I can continue?"

Response: "Can you handle wiping your ass left handed all summer long watching your buddies ski?"

• Administrators
Orthopedic thinks I might be screwed. MRI in the morning. Going to take it is stride. As a retired jumper I have been though all this before.

Drop a dime in the can

• Administrators
Thanks for all the kind words. I am really just rolling with this. I was stressed Saturday. Now I am just getting on with things.

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller_

@Horton, in all seriousness, injuries are a fact of life in any sport, and the higher the level of performance, the higher the risk and consequence of injury. You know all that crap, its just old age sneaking up on you. So, speedy recovery!

However.......if you listen to Skidawg......you should just have the wife hit you over the head with a baseball bat. Better all around.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding