Advice on New (Used) Rec Ski Boat

MD2

Hi all. First post-

Trying to figure out which boat to get. 8 years ago bought an older 1999 Supra Santera with a couple other families thinking all the kids would want to wakeboard... Lo and behold all of them ended up skiing almost exclusively. So now we have a fantastic wakeboard boat, with a fantastic (large) wakeboarding wake. You can slalom behind it, but it's far from ideal. Most us older guys have been skiing for 30 years- not regularly but are all good skiers, so are the kids. Currently we ski with about a 68 foot rope, from 32-35 mph (I ski at 35, just to get the wake down). Will probably go to a shorter rope if we get a new boat.

Anyways, trying to sell the Supra and get a more ski friendly boat. The Supra is honestly perfect for our needs in every way except for the wake size.

Will pretty much always be on public lakes, so it has it handle open water decently. Open bow is a must. Budget is around 25K, don't want to go any older than 2000 models- 2005 and up would be a better age. Just depends.

After browsing this forum and other for a while pre-2005 (diamond hull) Malibu Sunsetter LXI seems perfect, although very hard to find. The Response LXI also seems like a good fit, though I'm a tad concerned about dunking the bow in rougher water. I think 2007 and up the bow was raised a bit, but finding a boat in budget might be hard.

No specific preference to Malibu, maybe one of the MC Prostar models would be good as well? Any advice on good boats to look for would be greatly appreciated. We're located in Colorado which makes finding a boat harder, though I wouldn't be against bringing one home from MI or IL this summer, will be there for quite some time.

• Baller

From the Malibu line other than the Response LXI I would also look for a Sunsetter LXI or a Sunsetter. The Sunsetter LX usually had the "wake" hull so shy away from that model. The Sunsetter could be on either the "wake" or "diamond" hull depending on the model year so make sure to check if you find one.

Other will chime in on other brands I'm sure. The Ski Nautique 206 comes to mind, Moomba Outback direct drive (was a recent thread on that). I think the Tige 20i has OK ski wakes too but has a very high freeboard compared to everything else mentioned.

• Baller
The early to mid MC Prostar 205 are nice. I ski on one often, look for one with fuel injection. The 2007 and later Response LXI would be great. I've seen them out there in your budget range might take a while to find but definitely worth the trouble. Should be some MC Prostar 197 within your budget. There good solid boats also.

• Baller

I have a 2007 response Lxi that with zero off and will have less than 500 hours on it.

Unfortunately it won't be available til September.

It will prob sell for around 27k if you can wait that long. It's a fantastic boat and in great shape.

I'm waiting on a promo.

Matt

• Baller_

I had a 2000 MC Prostar 205, which was essentially the 1995-1997 Prostar 190 hull. Wake had a slight bump at 22 off. At all other line lengths, the wake was about as good as any other boat. Could handle public lake conditions just fine. Roomy, but not overly so. Very fast with a 4 blade prop.

Most of all, the tracking was amazing - like a freight train.

Here is mine (I'm driving) at our old 1750 foot lake at 36 mph.

http://youtu.be/xZrueY-x4Wk

I'd stay away from a 197. That boat actually had a worse wake at 22 off than mine. And it's easier to sink the nose on a 197.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

The second generation Pro Star 205 (96--2000) is probably among the most successful attempts at a crossover hull I have seen. It doesn't quite match the first generation 205 (92--95) in terms of slalom wake, but it's close. But in most other respects (open water chop handling, storage, tracking, wakeboard wake), it is a winner. Remember, this hull was the original X-Star hull before MC ever built a wake board specific boat. In other words, they set out to build an open bow slalom machine for "fanatics with families" as they put it, and ended up using it on one of their most beloved wakeboard boats in a v-drive configuration.

So many companies, MC included, have tried and failed to split the difference so perfectly since the second generation 205. Unfortunately, they tend to, at best, do one discipline better than the other or, more often than not, not do either discipline particularly well. The 205 did both things well.

I still prefer the first gen 205 for slalom. That said, I prefer the TSC Ski Nautique over the first gen 205. But if I had wanted to stay in an open bow, I'd have never sold my 93 205.

Here is my father in law's 98 205 pulling 22 off.

7lhxw9rauyrc.jpeg

Mbabiash I'd definitely be interested, depending on where you are located? And assuming we can sell our boat.

Thanks for the advice on the MC 205. Will definitely look around for those too

• Baller

Buy this one...checks all your boxes. I and others are familiar with the owner and the private site where it is used...good guy who takes care of his stuff:

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Comp_Boat&postid=31986

Has ski platform removed in pics to fit in garage...makes it easy to see has the wake board wedge.

Fox yes it is.

looked at the centurion, seems more slated towards wakeboarding, though I didn't find much on them.

if I was going to say percentage wise this boat would be 85-90% slalom and 15-10% wakeboarding. In the sense that maybe once in a great while a friend might want to wakeboard and it'd be nice to have the option. In my thinking that means getting a ski boat, hopefully with a tower and wakeplate/wedge.

• Baller
I have an Eclipse, it's a great slalom boat and good for family and kids with rear storage and deep front seat. However it's not great for wake boarding and it isn't a good 'big water' boat, I would consider the Malibu Sunsetter Lxi or the SN 206 also they are more solid and handle waves/rollers better....you can take water over the front if not careful. But if you are on a smaller lake and want a family sized slalom machine the Eclipse is worth a look....and used prices are very good.

Anyone have experience with a 2000-Era supra Legacy? Have a possible trade opportunity. More interested in performance and general driving characteristics than anything else- it's very similar otherwise to the santerra. Though I'm concerned about how it would handle rough water

• Baller
@MD2 didn't love that boat. Slalom wake not that great, barefoot wake/speed not that great (wake crossings a bit dodgy), handling not that great (drives kinda big)...kind of OK at a lot of stuff but not a boat great at anything.