Reflex liner preference?

Waternut

• Baller
What liner do people like the most and why? I've used an intuition wrap style liner and the Reflex thick liner but never the thin Reflex liner. I really like the thick liner but it's heavy, expensive, and falls apart quickly. The intuition liner works well but gives the bottom of my foot cramps after only 2-3 passes and I'm not tightening the buckles that much. Feels like wearing a tight rubber bindings about 2 sizes too small.

• Baller

Had been in the Intuition thick liner, size 10 shell, but didn't like the lack of connection to the ski nor the "restricted" feeling of ankle flexion.

Have a 10.5 US foot size, switched to a thin Reflex liner but also changed to a size 8 Reflex (white cuff) shell with some heat gun molding for better fit, as well (requires taking the spacers off the toe bar and thickening it with tape) as flattening the forefoot so that the front of the shell is in full, flat contact with the plate. Snug but better connection to ski, better ankle flexion; skis better.

• Baller

Strong preference for Radar thin liner properly heat molded. I use the old instructions:

-Put on very thin sock (I use a silk liner) with a toe cap underneath. Cut the toes off a couple cotton sports socks to cover just the toes. Makes space for toes in front.

-Clip boot onto ski just how you ski it. I put some towels under it also.

-Put in oven @175 for 5 min or until thoroughly puffed up

-Put foot in boot and put into shell. Most likely need someone to hold shell open as liner puffed up and over size. Be careful not to burn yourself, balance between hot and burn, hot as you can though.

-Buckle snug but not real tight. Stand up over boot like on glide for gate for 5+ minutes till cool without moving (boring and seems like a real long time).

-Take foot out (boot may come with it). Don't let boot be squished half in/half out, all the way in or all the way out until totally cool.

Liner is ready to go now, contoured to your foot for a perfect low volume fit. It is also pushing out of the holes in the shell a little so it will not move. This is how Alpine race liners are fit, smallest shell and liner you can fit. Comfortable and skis really well.

For the rear R style I run the low, thick liner not heat molded. I like the fit on the back foot to be "sloppy" as I don't want the heel held down like on the front. I just tighten the front buckle on the rear to suit.

Not a fan at all of modding the shell on this system. I think it compromises the way the release is designed.

• Baller
I want to second Gloersen's and BRY's posts. I'm about the same foot size as Gloersen and am fortunate that the Reflex shape matches my foot really well. If your foot works with the tighter shell option and thin liner, the connection to the ski is better than anything I've ever used.

• Baller
Durability is a bit of an issue with the thin Reflex liners- I keep a spare around. The Intuition liners are higher quality and definitely a bit more comfortable (I've tried my brother's). If you've got room in the shell (which I don't), they're probably the way to go.

• Baller
Thin reflex liner with the Velcro strap, not the new with the bunjee cord. Very durable, more than 400 sets on it and still in great condition, my previous one lasted for over six years and I still have it as a spare. I hope they will be available again before I'd need a new one!

• Baller
I have a size 10 foot and have used a size 8 Reflex shell with the thin liner for 6 or so years. I have just recently switched to a size 10 OB4 shell with a thicker liner. I might give an intuition liner a go as well.

• Baller

I wear 9.5 shoes and have a size 8 shell and the Jaeger tour-pro liner and feel like there isn't enough room in the shell for that liner.

@mattp Did your thin Reflex liner last the whole 6 years or did you continue changing it?

• Baller

I have an older size 8 shell with a thin reflex liner with the velcro wrap. It's been working well for me. A shin guard is a necessity. I haven't hit the block on release, but my shin has hit the release occasionally while skiing and draws blood - scars to prove it. I have the release cover from Reflex and also use a shin guard I made from an old wetsuit leg with a patch of the plastic from the extra Reflex tongue stiffener glued to it. The shell is a bit too big for me and the thin Reflex liner bunches up a bit. Today I tried a liner from an O'Brien Prodigy binding. Although it's a little low, it fits pretty well for me and I will likely use it going forward. The bottom line is - whatever feels good and works for you.

EDIT: sorry for the off-topic digression on the shin guard. I re-read the thread and I guess I was reacting to another recent Reflex thread.

• Baller

foot size 10 1/2 8 reflex blk shell thin medium liner with Velcro strap 12 plus years on this set up get new liners and shells every 2-3 years boots are cheap compared the skis. replaced the plate once and heel release every 2-3 years depends on wear. again cheap to replace a heel unit.

heat model the liner to fit I like the liner super snug then heat the shell to flatten out the sole like @dchristman does very common boot mod as is cutting down the upper cuff.