Help Please: Offside Mess!

jdk99

• Baller

New bindings this season (OB4 w Roxas). I love the release system but my offside turn is a train wreck since the change. Seeking any advice you guys might have to offer.

On both sides the ski is slow to come around. I can make the onside work but the offside just delays delays delays then BOOM 90 degree turn and I'm bent over at the waist. Absolutely this is partially a technique issue but I didn't struggle like this before the change. I can't seem to fix it w technique changes. I've bounced back and forth between old S2 and new A3 to see if it mattered. Affects both, but more pronounced on A3.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

• Baller

@schafer…tried every conceivable separation option. actually further apart has been best. that was one of the questions i had actually: how does binding separation play into off side turn.

@Horton…yeah I know. unfortunately last set in course the camera was way out of focus. All I have are free ski videos and those won't help you much. I noticed in your A3 mid point review you had shifted bindings back with similar problem then corrected with shift forward. I may try that. what I was looking for in my post was whether there is a major binding position/setting issue that routinely leads to the problem i presented. yes I'm sure its Indian not Arrow but the Indian was way better before he changed his Arrow.

• Baller

@Than...have tried numerous positions and agree the widest just seems wrong even though it feels best. Maybe I do just need to narrow the gap and shift way back and work forward from there as suggested by @ OB.

@ MS...was on stradas as close together as I could get them. I've already cut down the rear Roxa to simulate and that closeness was an absolute disaster

• Supporting Member

It really sounds like your front-back position is not even close.

Also did you try the top buckle crazy-loose? Might not be the way to go, but if this problem lessened it might mean something.

Finally do you have the "new" hard rubber gasket under each boot?

• Baller

@than ....agree binding position is likely key.

Yep...Crazy loose top buckle...like it might as well not even be buckled. Not sure what you mean by new gasket?

Thx for input so far guys

• Supporting Member

There's rubber under each plate. The first generation was kinda like neoprene but the newer is very hard so it doesn't compress much.

But that's a minor detail. If I were you I'd try both back a lot (3/4" maybe even?) but with your original separation. If that shows any

promise, adjust from there. If it doesn't, time to conclude these aren't the boots for you.

• Baller

SUCCESS! Thank you @Than and @OB. Bindings back, closer gap and problem solved!

[Disclosure: I also intently focused on hips forward/glutes contracted in preturn which I am sure was a big part of the correction].

Final question: On side is now slower coming around than off side. So, to quicken up on side turn without changing offside, is it better to 1) increase DFT or 2) decrease depth?

Thanks again.

• Supporting Member

I am absolutely not a tuning expert, but the one thing I've had some success with when trying to fix one side but not affect the other is to move only one boot. The rear boot has more effect on the onside; the front boot has more effect on the offside. So two things worth trying (in the order I personally would try):

1) Rotate the back boot -- specifically the heel goes toward the right if you are RFF and toward the left if you are LFF. For some reason I seem to ski best with the heel significantly to that side but the toe only a little bit rotated (toward the opposite side). A move of either end by about 1/8" is pretty noticeable. So try small changes at see if has potential.

2) Move (only) the back boot further back.