what are you working on?

Horton

• Baller_
It has been a long road trying to ski as a short fat guy! Could get away with it a number of years ago as a men 4 skier and perfect pass but middle men's 5 skier and ZO the fat guy slalom just does not work. Been working on leaning out.. It is amazing what loosing 15 pounds can do for the game! Another 15 maybe level 8 on the rankings list!!

• Baller_
Hips up, stay tall, some counter into my onside (especially 1 ball), pushing hip around into a better finish and stack out of offside turn. Gates and 1 ball are my current prime indicator of running the pass or not.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Supporting Member

Mainly trying to re-establish a passable leverage position, although I also need to be more patient at the finish of my off-side turn to have a chance to set up good body position thereafter.

Really back to basics right now with such a late start and coming off an injury-plagued season. Safe to say this is the least prepared I have ever felt for the start of tournaments (this Sunday).

• Baller

Really concentrating on healing faster. Hitting the steroids to get rid of a pinched nerve my the upper back.

When I get back to skiing I will be working on completing my turns with my hips going to the handle.

• Baller

Speeding up, among other things.

I started this season in January with lessons in Florida where I was running sets at 30 MPH and 15 off. Before the lessons I had a personal best of 28 off at 30 MPH. Took a few months off for the snow to melt and I am back out running 15 off and jumping the speed up .5 MPH each time I make the pass a few times. I am currently working on 33 MPH. Goal is 15 off at 36 MPH by the end of the summer.

I am also doing a lot more tricking. Every time I hit the course I follow it up with a few runs on the trick ski.

• Baller
Pretty much #3 on @MrJones 's list. I feel like my gate sets me up well for 1 ball at all my line lengths, but I've been battling too hard of a finish at 135 (my onside) for most of my skiing life. Got away with it with hand driving and PP, but not with ZO. Need to ski back to the handle to finish smoothly and in a position that I can then push through the centerline. If I don't, I get a mini "crush" which I can hang onto, but can't change edges until well past the second wake. That don't work at 35 and shorter.

• Baller

Right now I am just trying to ski some pain free sets and get my Vapor set up right. Keeping a good stack is an important part of that.

On the set up front the ski felt fine when I was running 22s then when I went to 28 it started to bite on the offside. I moved the front binding back and it seems good at 28 off. I haven't shortened to 32 yet so we will see what happens there. My tuning guru has suggested moving the fin forward if it bites at 32.

• Baller
My main focus is developing a decent stacked position in my offside. I have actually had the best offside stack I have ever experienced a few times in the last couple days, so I know I can do it but need to be able to do it consistently. Also trying to figure out what technique/style works best for me and then be consistent with that so it gets into my muscle memory and I don't have to think about it so much.

I'm working on getting to the lake.

Once there, it's the same as always. Get the hips to the handle, don't ski to the ball, and roll the weight/ankles forward a bit to initiate the turn.

Truth be told, I'm working on the nine year old. He got up on a slalom deep water start the first weekend of June (behind a John Boat with a 25 hp outboard no less). He got up a few more times the next weekend behind our boat. And, for perfect timing's sake, he went to ski school for a week starting this past Monday. Thankfully, I won't have the chance to teach him bad habits.

Yes, I bought him a second hand 63" System 8 two years ago just in case. We pick him up tomorrow. This is him this morning.

11406949_935012549888994_418163978131883

• Baller

@MrJones with ya. Further off the water in the lean, into and out of the ball. Accept less load early, progressively more lean through the wakes...repeat. Had been doing a progressive lean but had too much out of the ball so going from a 8 to a 10 in intensity rather than a 5 to an 8.

There's lots of other crap, too, but if I connect and lean properly the turns become a lot easier. If I can work this to be more habitual, then I can focus on other things.

Frustrating part up north is I feel like it's a re-learn every season. What am I working on? Same crap as last year this time of year. Last fall I didn't have to work on this crap and would have been great to keep that part going and refine further over time.

• Baller
S T A C K!! I had it locked in at the end of last season didn't think I would forget how it felt...... I was sorely mistaken. It was incredible how easy it made it to run the course and low load, today the second set of the year and I felt good, gates were good but I felt like I was having to power through it, and after reviewing the video an extreme lack of stack was definitely telling me the story. Any advice on keeping it consistent?

• Baller
Sadly it changes frequently. I was skiing last night working on handle control mainly and nothing was working. I finally figured out I wasn't doing the gate I wanted so I spent last night fixing that. Hopefully next time I ski it's not something else.

• Baller
Gates, gates, gates. Working on better angle at the start (which requires a better stack) to begin the pass with lots of space into the buoy. When I get it right, the whole pass seems slow and easy, even at my shorter lengths. When I don't, I feel fast and am chasing the entire pass.

• Baller
Playing chicken with the buoy. In other words, keeping my body proximity to my handle for what feels like way too long (like outside the buoy long) before releasing my hand, staying tall, turning my hip, and reconnecting. Takes real thought, cuz your mind wants you to let go and roll edges waaaay sooner.