How Much Dual Lock for Power Shells

dude

A friend set me up with PS5 bindings and they have 4 strips of 400 dual lock on the ski and 4 strips of 400 on the plate. The bindings feel great skiing but I am a little concerned they may not release in a bad fall. I am 5' - 10" tall and 180 pounds and ski into 35 off at 34 mph. Does the amount and type of dual lock I am using sound OK? What do similar sized skiers with similar ability use?

Note that I tried PS5's a few years ago and abandoned them due to pre-release issues and that is why my friend used the 400 dual lock. He said that is what is most everyone uses these days. However, I did note that Goode's website says if you use 400 the ski warranty is void because it may not release properly. Thanks.

• Baller
Just remember, dual lock does not last forever. After a few releases the duel lock needs removed ( not very easy ) and new installed. The question should be, when will the bindings release when least expected? This will be the hardest fall you have ever experienced.

I'm the same height/ weight as you. 4 strips of 250. 2 on ski and 2 on plate. Refer to Scott Chipmans guide for clear vs black. I've tried every type of glue remover mentioned here. The easiest and by far the best is silicone remover gel in a tube. Don't use 400. Replace after 6-8 removals or annually whichever comes first.

• Supporting Member
I feel compelled to inform/remind everyone that a guy in WA formerly-known-as-@gator1 has developed a modification for Dual-Lock release systems that he believes makes them a lot safer. If anyone is interested in Gatormod, send me a private message and I'll get you in touch.

• Baller

I ran PS5's for three years and worked surprisingly well for me, I'm 6'1" and at the time 230. I simply covered the entire plate with 250 clear. Never had a pre-release and came off just fine the couple times I needed to each season. I did cut holes for where the boot bolts go through though. I did change it each year. PS5's were the only double hard shell I could seem to ski in as they allow the rear heel to come up, even with a tight arch buckle (gotta have that to be safe in a hard shell).

I did have one fall where I lightly sprained my ankle when I crushed forward and sort of fell "through" the front boot. Not sure any boot would necessarily release in that one but did feel like the back was holding the front on. Just an issue with any single plate system, perhaps GatorMod would have fixed that.

On Reflex with "R" rear, love it and feel I can get my hips forward easier. RTP was too free for me, heel kept sliding to edge of ski.

• Baller
@scotchipman no the ski I am on has issues with the inserts so I use it to keep the plate fastened solid, it is a reflex system. I also have 400/400 holding up all the blinds in my house as I have vinyl window jambs and I didn't want to drill holes through them...and @ work to hold up some floor tiles on a display wall..nothing's fallen yet!

• Baller

@scotchipman if a skier was skiing at slower speeds, do you recommend less Dual Lock than the chart above? At 28mph in an OTF fall there would be less force to release the Dual Lock than say at 34mph, correct?

I am asking because a friend just bought his first set of powershells. He is 62yrs old and freeskis at 32mph and is trying the course at 28 or 30mph.