The new Flextail

bbruzzese

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller_
@gregy that's the direction to which I had hoped the answer would take. Wild speculation or not...at least it's not ..."...pay no attention to what's behind the curtain. It's all goode."

• Baller
I'd be curious to hear from a new course skier (such as myself) as to what they thought of the flex tail? Would their responses be along the same lines as some of you 38 offers? No difference? Or would they be too green and on a sensory overload anyways to tell?

• Baller
According to @Horton, I need a new ski every year. Last year I ran 488 passes at 35 off, and took 167 cracks at 38 off (65 made). Total passes, all 28 and shorter, were 1906. Heck, I probably need two skis a year! Honey ... I need a new ski again!

• Administrators
@Razorskier1 yes I think so. If you can make a ski last longer => good for you but after that many rides you should at least try a fresher ski to see how different it is.

• Baller
I tried a 66.75, and decided to keep. IMO, compared to the 66 XT I had last year, it feels a bit less forgiving and automatic in the turns but does create more space with less stress on the body. It may not have as much sweet spot, so I'm still working out how to turn it the way I want. When I stand on it properly and do the right things, I get a early entry and fast exit at the ball. When I don't stand on it properly or screw up at the ball, it does help me get back in it with the angle and speed it carries. I'll be curious to see fin numbers as more people get on it. Right now I have it way back at .728 and like it. I've taken some length out and it still grabs on the toe side sometimes. The depth at 2.504 seems fine. I tried it a bit shallower and didn't really like it. That leads me to hypothesize the flex action helps the ski turn, which allows you to run a deeper fin (than otherwise applicable), which in turns helps the ski carry angle and speed to the other side.

• Baller
For what it’s worth one of my ski buddies got a 66.5” Flex Tail and likes it. I tried it 3 long sets with tweaking and didn’t like it at all. Both of us are 34.2 MPH skiers. He’s at 163 pounds and I’m at 183 pounds. Both body weights are within the recommended weight range.

• Baller
@BG1 possibly too much skier input? I have no clue how you ski, but it is a less is more ski......... Which makes it crazy easy to ski. I am running 38 on a site I struggle to run a couple at 38. 4@38 in L tourney. I had to lighten up on my turns coming from the longer XT. Feeling good at 35 and 38!

• Baller
Here's my observation of the new Flex Tail. Observation is a key word here. I haven't skied on one, but I've watched a ski buddy transition to one. After his first few sets, he didn't look any different on this ski than he had on his past skis. At this point, I really didn't think there was anything special or different about this ski. However, after making a few tweaks to settings, this ski seemed to come alive. The most apparent and observable difference was the speed with which he would get across course. He was consistently rocketing across the wakes making him wider and earlier at every ball. He certainly ran easier and lighter 32's and 35's. Only time will tell if it helps him run more buoys than his previous skis.

• Baller
@MS and @Razorskier1 for a few years, the good people at HO Syndicate made skis that my wife noticed no difference in. An A2 and 2 A3's and no complaints. Order your Flex Tail from the custom shop, just the same as your XT. NOTE I neither follow, nor condone my own advice

• Baller
Demo a Flex Tail @ the BroHo (Stop #4 of Big Dawg) July 16th and 17th. Greg Badal will be at the lake with several different lengths of Flex Tail skis. Thursday is an unofficial Big Dawg practice day and Friday is an official practice day with registered Big Dawg skiers having priority. There should still be plenty of time should you want to demo a ski, especially on Thursday. Also coaching is available from Greg for $50 a set. A non-coached set is $25, but I am sure if you would buy a Flex-Tail we could probably waive that......................OF If you need any more information, feel free to text me at Two Five Three - Six Zero Six - Seven Seven One Eight.

• Baller

Greg has an RV stocked with skis. You should see all the Flex Tails here in Nor Cal. We must have gotten them all. :)

I don't recommend trying one, unless you are willing to part with money. I wasn't planning on getting one, but tried it in the tournament last weekend and ended up keeping it. Have run 35, six tournament rounds in a row now. That is unheard of for me.

• Baller
Haven't ridden flex tail. I love my T2. I have heard people who don't like the T2 it is usually that they can't manage the speed it generates. From people I know who ride Goodes, I have heard they are easier to "shut down" as you approach the ball if you are too fast. I think that was the problem @OB had.

• Baller

The T2 was very stable and worked well for me at 28 and 32. I was hit and miss at 35 and struggled at 38. I think I had trouble getting it to cast out in the pre turn. The Flex Tails seems to finish the turn better and feels like I'm able to ski earlier in the pass. I always felt late on the T2, so I was pushing too much at the end of the turn which loaded the ski too much and then I would get pulled up at the wakes.

As @OB said, I'm sure it was the Indian.

• Baller
Let him know now if you need the check in the next year or so. Too bad the company is so slow about refunding money if the ski doesn't work for you. Ran my first 35 off on the Nano XT , but the ski was too hard on my body. The new ski sounds like a winner. Lots of guys reporting that it is easier on the body , and allows for more sets in practice.

• Baller
Ran my first tourney 38 and got 2@39.5 ......... I'm a believer........ Much deeper and consistent into 38. I ran inside 5 ball at western regionals and should have run the pass. I loved my XT, but this is flat out a game changing ski for my tourney scores! This is going to run lots of 38's for me!

• Baller

the flextail will be able to be ' tuned ' with plastic shims that you insert into the tail slits from the top. they are held in place with industrial double stick tape and their purpose will be to reduce the side ways flex on the same side as which ever foot you have forward. dave goode hasn't invented them yet but rest assured he will. they will be very expensive.

thus endeth this glimpse into the future.

• Baller
Saw a guy on one this weekend at Indiana state. A few times I thought he was done and somehow he kept going. Biggest thing I noticed was that he was late and flying into the ball a few times and some how some way he slowed the ski down enough to make a great turn.

• Baller
I am not sure of the actual dimension without grabbing my ski to measure........ I put 2 shims in and felt it was too limiting, but 1 has felt just right. This ski turns so much, that my on-side was huge, I needed to calm that down a hair. Imagine being able to extenuate or calm the feeling of your turn!