Shoreline repair while full?

ToddL

• Baller
One of the lakes where I ski, is very full and has serious shoreline erosion problems. Are there any machines or equipment that people have used to restore the shore line or repair it while the lake is full? I am thinking that maybe something like a road grader where the shovel extends extremely far out to the side. Does anything like that exist? What other creative ideas have you used to do this type of repair?

Here's my two cents worth as a grader operator first of all how big is the shelf your trying to remove and what kind of material is it rocky sand clay if you use a grader the blade shifts out farther on the right side of machine is the ground on the berm hard not soft you can make several passes to get desired dept then what are you going to do with youberm you will have left over you can use a front end loader with a smooth bucket no teeth and hopefully a automatic bucket leveler that works this can make clean up with breeze and leave your top soil you will probably also

need single Axel dump truck lot easier to get around. There's always the chance when pulling material you can suck the grader in possible burying the grader that's a big no no this isn't the job for the weekend warrior. Or use a mini excavator with 36" smooth bucket and top load into dump truck.your probably safer and handling the material once the mini will be a lot more user friendly. You should be able to rent mini and possibly a dump trailer it might take awhile but you have to do it good luck hope this was helpful. dougski

L

• Supporting Member

@bishop8950 and everyone: Can anyone comment on the cost of the riprap and installation? How 'bout on the permitting process, especially for a public lake?

Can installing riprap be done from the water side? There is very little access from shore around our slalom course -- forest in the way!

Where might I go to find out more?

• Members

Hey Todd, that is between the dock and shore, it will take minimal excavation and some sloped riprap cages. I can do the excavation and place the riprap with a Hoe, the ground there is very solid, not steep, excavator with smooth bucket would be great, but Hoe will do, less money. I will be back from Socal mid July, will come visit. J and I talked about doing that years ago, its gotten MUCH worse, WOW.

Than_Bogan no permitting here its the wild west

• Baller
@dthate, yes. Those pics are near the upper lake dock. However, it is just as bad all the way around. When the lake is down to 5 ft or lower, the waterline is below the erosion bulkhead. With the past years' drought, no one worried about them. With this year's rains, we have been too full, and they are a major issue.

• Baller

@than_Bogan we paid about $750 per full load (tandem) to have the 4-6" crushed stone delivered. Same price for 1.5" crushed stone as well. We used about 10 loads to rock the shoreline all the way around one turn island. Probably could have gotten away with as little as 6-7 loads. The cost of stone will vary depending on location and distance. Installation expense depends on how much prep you have to do before you put down the fabric and stone. Our job was pretty straight forward and we paid a contractor about $3k to put the rock around the island using a Bobcat. The section pictured above I did with a tractor. The amount of rock pictured is probably nearly a 1/2 load.

I would imagine doing it from the water side would be really difficult and expensive. Not sure where to get more info on that.

Rip rap installation can occur from the water side. Any marine contractor can do it. It is barge duty. As for permitting - it depends upon jurisdiction - state, federal, or both. On a public lake, there will be some issues. Most of the time that kind of work is restricted during the summer months - so a post Labor day start.

• Baller
@ToddL if you have a variable water level things get more expensive because you have to prepare more shoreline, as you are experiencing. Any way you can pump water out? An I vestment in water level control might be cheaper depending on your situation. If you have to operate at the current level that's a lot of grading or rock. Guessing the rock would be cost prohibitive.

• Baller

@Texas6 only have rock around the island and two small sections on the main shoreline. But you are correct, that rip rap is not navigable in bare feet, or shoes really. The rest of the lake is pretty beach friendly. I have been working like crazy on our shoreline and water quality so I am proud of these pics :smiley: l9ande82tfxz.jpg

• Baller

@bishop8950 - it is pretty much a costly situation no matter what. This site, especially the lake in the pics, need to be emptied, dried, dredged and regraded fully. The lakes are over 35 years old and have slowly filled with silt and material. When the one in the pics is full to the point of the spillway flowing, the lake is only 6 feet deep at the far end where we set down. When, it is low enough to be below the bulkheads, that same spot is about 3 ft deep. But also at that time the boat path is at 4ft and the buoys are at 3 to 4ft. All that eroded material and some from flood waters have filled in the lake depth considerably. So much that re-digging them deeper and placing that material back on re-graded shorelines is the truly correct solution.

In the interim, I was hoping to find a cost effective solution.

LOL. Let's see: 55's to 55's is nearly 370 meters, times 2 for both sides is 740 meters. If I had 74 people, each manually digging/shaping 10 meters of shoreline in 1 longs day's work, then it could get done. What's the going rate for day laborers? $50/day? That's $3700. Then, provide 74 shovels, so another $3k or so. Total: $6700 done by hand...

• Baller
I have also had some success with our clay banks in a pinch by knocking down the shelf into the water and busting it up into a wedge shape. Over time, it gets smoothed out even more by the waves. Ultimately, filing with rip rap works the best as you don't need 15:1 ratio as the rocks breakup the waves.