Video feedback please

Long-time reader here; almost never post. Looking for some feedback from those willing to help. I've been stuck trying to run 32' for several years; PB of 4@32'. Last season I got pretty consistent at 28 but never ran a full 32. Not much time on the water yet this year, and currently struggling to run 28, although I run 22 just about every time. Video is from last summer at 22 off. Welcome any and all feedback that will help me advance. Ski school is on the to-do list, but down the road a bit based on time and money. Thanks in advance.

skiing from Scott on Vimeo.

• Baller
That pass looked pretty darned good to me; great skiing! Nitpicky thoughts maybe, but fundamentally you're on the right track!! In your glide, I'd love to see you square up your shoulders down course a bit prior to turning in towards the gates to help that ski turn under you; and try not to flatten out before you get to the first wake (you will see a noticeable jump happening at the wakes). Try and keep progressively turning in if possible and stay on edge through the first wake before beginning to transition. Going to 2,4,6 you appear to be letting your arms get away from your body, which is pulling you a bit narrower than you probably like; keep those elbows pinned to your vest until you begin to reach at the buoy to prevent being pulled narrow by the boat. Your hips are behind you a little bit at times, but that will get better with time and generally looks to be on track and progressing well. That is what I see, but I find that others often see things I don't:). Great skiing!

Daryn, thanks for the help. When I first watched that video I was surprised by how much my ski was out of the water through the wakes. Can't blame it on the wake, so has to be me...will work on it. I've been trying to think about stack, but not much thought on arms; will work on that as well. Thanks again.

• Baller

Good skiing! On 2, 4 and 6, you dip your inside shoulder quite a bit, digging yourself into a hole that contributes to your lean not being progressive enough (and thus the flat ski into, and pop off of, the wakes). I often have this problem and work on it two ways: either just try to keep your head and shoulders as level as possible throughout the turn, or if that isn't working and I need a bit of a gimmick I reach really high with the handle on that side. It's hard to dip your shoulder when you are reaching really high.

Good luck.

I'm far from an expert, but have had a lot of instruction. One thing I notice is something our instructors always told my wife. It looks like "you are leading with your head." If you watch your turn, particularly around 2, 4, and 6, your head tilts/dips in the direction of the turn. My understanding is that this puts you off balance and can lead to some pretty nasty falls. My wife has a history of busted ear drums our ski instructor has attributed to hear leading with her head like this. Correcting this works in tandem with keeping your shoulder's squared to the boat, eyes on the transom.

Again, no pro here. Pretty bad actually. But lots of instructional tips stored away in the old noggin.

jcamp and Doug, thanks for that; gives me more to think about and work on. I definitely don't get as good of an angle on my offside turn, and have to try to make up space on the onside. OB, boat is an '01 19Skier --same hull as the '95-'97 ProStar.

• Supporting Member

As with almost every skier trying to figure out -32, you're biggest weakness is your body position from exiting the turn to roughly the centerline. Your upper body is forward at this point, which forces you to fold at the waste for balance, which forces your ski tip into the air. Instead you want your upper body to go away from the boat, and allow your entire body to line up for efficient, balanced resistance. This will build speed and angle like you've never experienced.

But HOW to get there? Personally I think the easiest place to put some focus is your arms and shoulders. Your arms need to be straight and your shoulders need to be somewhat facing the boat but as far away from the boat as you can get them. Imagine lining your upper body straight down the rope.

Those two things tend to force other good things to happen, like hip closer to handle, handle lower, arms-to-the-vest, and more ski in the water.

There are other ways to think about the same thing, so listen to various ideas and see what sticks. But I really think you will sail through -32 if you can significantly improve your position in that "inbound" phase.

It takes dedication to make even a subtle change like this. GOOD LUCK!

• Baller
You are clearly dipping your shoulder on your 2 4 side, and this is causing the ski to stall a bit coming out of the ball, the rope then comes tight quickly and yanks you off edge. Ideally you want to allow the ski to complete the turn, and start skiing toward the wake before the rope comes tight. One easy trick that can help prevent this is to reach with your palm up on your off side (2 4).

• Baller
The first thing that catches my eye is that I would say you need to be settled down and balanced on your ski before you pull out. When you do pull out you want to move your whole body and ski the direction you want to go calmly and gradually with more weight over your front foot. Your pullout now looks a little unbalanced and rushed with more of the pull coming through your arms and shoulders. Staying calm when you pull out will help slow things down and help you continue through the course calmly.

try and look at the boat from end of turn to transistion phase (just ofter wakes) concentrate on carrying the handle out bound, at those line lengths you should be carrying the handle to the Bouy line... i also HIGHLY agree with @OB move your pull out, out by 4 feet, simple hydrodynamics dictates that at the point you were are then the water is moving INWARDS towards the Center of the wake and there fore you need to load the line LOTS to get moving out bound... hope it makes sense.

• Baller
Loved seeing Old Hickory Lake in the video haha!! Trying to keep your inside shoulder up in the 2,4,6 turn will probably help you a ton. Other than that, making sure your hips are forward through the whole turn will stop the pause between turning and pulling. Come down to Swerve Watersports in Manchester TN!

• Baller

@PhilSymo

I've been working on this technique of squaring shoulders and looking at the boat as I start my lean to cross the wakes.

With this technique, what do you look at when you enter the course?

I'll feel like I have no idea if I'm hitting the gates.

Are you supposed to just time it, and look at the boat through the wakes and then once through

look at ball 1 to start the pre turn?

• Baller
Your hookup out of 1,3,5 looks amazing but it looks like you ride your back foot pretty hard to me. Could be a ski size/setup issue but hard to tell. I'd also be curious to see what a 28 off pass looks like as the 22 off pass looked clean albiet less than ideal body position. Granted 22 and 28 can be muscled while 32 and 35 require better technique.

Personally i don't like to "LOOK" at the Bouys, for the Gates I think its peripheral vision, then its change Edge off the wake, let the ski go out 'there' and allow it to finish. i alwasy feel that people who directly look at the balls either ski right at them (you ski to where you look) or are always LATE and down course as you tend to wait to go past the bouy to turn..

hope this helps @hemlock

Phil