Marine Vinyl best way to clean ?

Glydon

• Baller
Of course I always clean with mild dish soap and water first, but I am wondering what everyone uses on there marine vinyl AFTER to clean off things like sun screen scum and scuffs / transfer. I hear great things about Mr. Clean magic eraser . Thanks in advance to all the Ballers!

• Baller

303 cleaner and a soft brush or microfiber rag followed by a lot of 303 protectant so that nothing sticks the next time. My last boat was 9 years old when I sold it with a mostly white interior that still looked brand new.

http://www.amazon.com/303-Multi-Surface-Cleaner-Trigger-Sprayer/dp/B00JAMYDFC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436973490&sr=8-1&keywords=303+cleaner

http://www.amazon.com/303-30313-CSR-Aerospace-Protectant-Trigger/dp/B00KN0UOEE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1436973490&sr=8-2&keywords=303+cleaner

Magic eraser is a sanding sponge, don't get it or bleach anywhere near your vinyl/stitching.

x2 to avoid Magic Eraser. I use L.A. Totally Awesome which you can get at your local dollar store. Dilute as indicated on the bottle and it makes vinyl look like new. Don't let the low price scare you off. Follow with 303 Protectant.

• Baller
The 303 stuff is recommended by name in my 2012 Malibu manual, but I've been using it a long time. Never heard of spray nine before, but from the msds it looks like it is 80% water and up to 10% alchohol/ether. Sounds more like hull cleaner than vinyl cleaner.

• Baller
Magic eraser takes stuff off for sure and first time you use it you think wow this is great. Then you realize that all you did was sand off the stuff and cause a lot of wear to your upholstery. I was fooled years ago.

• Baller

Thanks Ballers I was specualtive of the magic Eraser and am glad I asked such a knowledgeable group. @bbruzzese thanks for the feedback on the Spray nine it is readily available here in Canada and has various uses.

• Baller
There has been a lot of discussion about this on the MC Team Talk site and a lot of people there highly recommend using Totally Awesome from the dollar store followed up by 303 Aerospace Protectant as jkr54 suggested. This is what I do and it works great. I use a plastic brush and dilute the TA with half water and gently scrub spots. It hasn't failed me yet.

• Baller
Is the 303 protectant slippery like most of the others ? Freshly treated storage compartments ( back doors of 196 ) become dangerous to use as a step into boat if unaware of fresh application.

• Baller_
@east tx skier that has been my experience. Used that for years on multiple boats. Water rinse after is key. But I just bought a bunch of Totally Awesome for another project and gonna give that a go. Rinsing well is probably still needs with that I think. And use of a soft brush is what I've been using for yrs as well. Have one designated just for the boat.

• Baller

I've never used anything that works as good as Malco Cleaner. I use it once a year in the Spring to do a deep clean. Unbelievable how well it works. The rest of the year I use Babes. I would put a link to it but every time I try I get a long link.

• Baller

I always used 303, but my new boat came with a pack of Babe's products to try. It smells good and is a BOS sponsor, so assuming it works as advertised, I think I'll stick with it.

I agree, for really neglected/dirty vinyl, Totally Awesome works wonders.