Update an old boat and make it good enough to be a daily training boat

Horton

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@303Skier The 94 Bud Boat spray mod was described to me by "Bret" on the MC Forum. He got a close look at it. He described it to me as if someone took a "rat tail" file to the aft portion of the spray pocket on each side and glassed over it. In essence, it sounds like the "hooked" hulls on the 197, but done only to the spray pocket.

I have not personally seen one. But I'd swear I can see it in this picture if I squint really hard.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/LDca1mlB4oHMxykEE0JgRiOgKlqKvYIoUduOhR37yMB7=w620-h460-no

• Baller
@Horton I was responding more to the technology which ozski was referring to. My practice PB are the same on either but ZO can overwhelm me if overload. I'm going to keep working on my boat see if I can get it better. The 3 SG PP boats I ski on regularly all come into the gates fast and require the driver to be very careful with rpms when coming into the course.

• Baller
@DooSPX I do not know him personally but have followed his boats progress on The MasterCraft Project FB group. He has helped out with some tuning on my '84 MC. I'm actually in the ATL area ( I wish Orlando, it is a second home to me) Dan is in Wisconsin. I hope I see it in person one day and ski her. I'll find some good pics of it with the new motor shwoing and post.

• Baller

Oh lord I can't get involved in another forum..... I venture over there sometimes, but need to do it more. I will need to dig up some pics and post around.

I'm just looking forward to what @Horton has in store for this project.

• Baller
So many people are talking about how great ZO is... If it was not used in tournaments and simply another option (like stargazer) no way anyone would use it over PP. I was talking to one of the best drivers in the southern region one day about this and he said we have the same problems with ZO as we did with PP. people getting behind the wheel at tournaments who don't know how to work the system. My boat and the 99 nautique I ski behind give me 16.08 most of the time, just have everything in correct. If ZO didn't win the lawsuit or whatever you want to call it our sport would look a lot different

• Administrators
Holy Crap that Ilmor lump has to weigh a lot more than the original. I bet that boat is fun to drive but I wonder about the wakes. Custom dog house also?

@Horton, according to Dan, the boat is a pure pleasure to drive, and he said the wakes are great. No discernible difference. It probably is a little heaver, the Ilmor and the 351W are both iron block, iron heads. But, you do have to factor in electronics, etc. If I were a betting man, I would say it would be minimal. Oh, and yes, had to do some doghouse work.

• Baller_

wr4rbhxixh18.jpg

Look's like a cool boat (Dan's) however also looks like a bit more involved then adding a new model engine box to fit the conversion. looks like a shallower strut was installed and a new shaft log glassed in to accommodate the Hurth reduction transmission and 11/8" drive shaft.

If anyone one is interested in a SS MC we have one here for sale that would meet the build ideology. Will sell less engine for $1200.00 boat does need a stringer job!!

• Baller_

Depends on who is doing it. Depends on materials used. there is a guy in Tenn that did one last year for one of my customers and installed stringers and a floor with carpet for around $2500 ????

Shoot materials alone was over a grand! the guy did a good job (not great) but better then adequate. If the boat was going to get a modern engine then some thought would need to go into this boat and the stringers would probably need to be set a bit wider and the floor an inch or two higher in the boat. Me I would not touch it for less then $8K to install stringers and a floor for a modern repower. Then there is the strut and shaft to deal with..

• Baller_

@303Skier

"Can you re-power a 94' MC 190 without all that extra modification to shaft and strut?"

Yes no problem however a bob tail engine would have to be obtained and the original transmission retained.

I like utilizing the PCM 5.7 Excalibur as they made it stupid proof for repower.

@Horton I can send my 94 Centurion Falcon for the winter and you can re-power with ZO and send it back to me for extensive testing. That should keep you well under your budget and get me a heart transplant after 2600 hours of use.

@gregy, older boats were picky about side to side weight. My 91, while not as bad as some, still could have an affect if it was bad enough. I even removed my battery from beside the fuel tank, behind the rear seat to under the observers seat. It was a great move even for the quick accessibility.

• Baller
@doospx My buddy has a small water sac he puts in the back corner of the boat when there's no observer. We had an observer the other day but he was a big dude. One thing I don't like about the that year 205 is that it doesn't have a middle observer set like the newer boats have or like my 99 RLX that has the step-over to the bow and a full observers set.