Update an old boat and make it good enough to be a daily training boat

Horton

• Administrators

I am considering a project for the web site where I take an old boat like a 91 MC that cost $3,500 and update it to be good enough to be a daily training boat. The goal is to get a boat that cost $15,000 or maybe $20,000 and is almost as good as a boat that cost 3 or 4 times as much.

Is this interesting?

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

You should be able to do this for significantly less than $20-25K. Some folks will always find reasons it ain't as good as a $60K boat, but personally I sleep better with that $40K in my bank account.

I guess I'm biased because I own and train behind a TSC1 Nautique re-powered with a PCM motor and Zero Off. Best thing going...

• Baller
Would love to see this happen and what the costs will be to do so. I'd be keen to hear what high level skiers who wouldn't usually ski behind something like this (or haven't for a really long time) have to say about the performance of it.

• Baller
I'm all in and living the old boat dream myself - 10 year old 196 converted to ZO and I'm happy. I won't ski any better behind a 200 or any other new boat... This is a good project Horton, Nautique or something else?

• Baller
A 91 - 94 MC redone with the 94 pro- tour hull mod/notch in spray relief flute that knocked down the spray for the 38/39 skiers would be a hard boat to beat. And one if the best boats for slower speeds and 15 -28 off skiers.

• Baller

It's nice to have a really nice boat but for every day use the Boat is a tool, what it looks like, what colour it is, state of the interior, it does not matter, if it's got speed control, the required amount of grunt and tracks nicely, it's good enough.

Could even start a new trend "Rat Boats"

• Baller

I am looking into doing something similar within the next year or so. I have 3 thoughts.

1) Separate parts and labor costs. I would likely do 99.9% of labor myself(including motor rebuilds) while others may do very little.

2) I would shoot for a lower end cost. $20k will get you an early 2000s CC. I am looking at under $10k (boat+parts+$0labor). Maybe $10k for a good ski ride, then extra for things like nice seats and shower?

3) I would shoot for a solid motor with z-box. ZO would be great, but most people looking for a basic boat on a limited budget would probably go the z-box route, at least that is the route I would likely go.

@Horton I think you need to outline what you want to do before you start. If you want to fresh it up and add Z box or repower and use ZO

Update your original motor

Throttle Body Injection $1800

or

Multi-Port Fuel Injection $3000

Z-Box-$1500

Buy a DBW motor

PCM Ex343 $9000

PCM Trans $2000

ZO-$1600

BTW I just rebuilt the motor in my tug this past year, now pumping 360hp and 420 ft/lb, Later this year doing Multi Port Fuel Injection and Z Box. Drop me a line if you to talk details.

• Baller_

Cost break down provided that the donor boat is clean and un molested!

Non cat Engine 5.7 with adapter hardware with out Transmission landed on the floor no tax $9,580, with series 80Trans add $2,500, Add another $4,500 if you want a 6 liter

Zero Off $1600

Now this is where the unknowns start!

1. Will the engine fit under the older motor box with out modification???

2. Will the engine frame or stringer accept the new engine with out modification?

3. re routing fuel and electrical.

4. Will the exhaust accommodate the new engine with out modifiction.

5. Condition of under water gear. It does not make a lot of sense to convert with out replacing sloppy rudder port and shaft strut bushing.

6. Steering cable?

7. Is the Transmission being utilized up to the task with out re-build?

8. Other unknowns, the Can of worms that alway's seem to manifest themselves.

9. The $5,000 in labor to do the re-power and the above work if the owner can not DYI!

10. upholstery interior ?

11. Gauges?

12. ??????????

Reminder the SBC non Cat marine engine may be on it's last couple of years of availability and then the engine cost exponent nearly doubles.

Keep in mind that the above cost break down would be at a typical shop/dealer at market value of parts and $120.00 per hour.. And I still may be on the low side for other shops.

• Administrators
@Jody_Seal the issues above are part of the process. Is it practical? Is it economical? Is it worth the trouble? All things to be researched. (I have your phone #)

My boat is an 89 centurion falcon which I converted to multi port fuel injection myself when I rebuilt the motor. While rebuilding the engine I increased the compression a bit and changed to a little more aggressive cam. Now makes well over 300 hp. The Falcon hull is one of the best for slalom.....and no spray whatsoever at any rope length. Will be adding pp stargazer with z box before next season. Only problem with this setup I can see is wood used by centurion in this era so hull must be chosen very carefully. Think they went away from wood a little later and kept the same hull shape..... So would try for one of those if I did it again. I've had this boat for 13 years and still love it.....tons of power....turns like an f1 car......no spray.....great wakes.....and investment way below 10k including engine mods 13 years ago.....I'm excited to get into the pp sg project soon.

• Baller

So what is the cost of a secondhand Malibu ready to go compared with rebuilding something, how much do you value your labour per hour.

Somebody did once say to me that I worked too hard and I would be better off working smart, so if you look at the many hours it is going to take, would you be better off doing

something with those hours that not only pays well but is easier and just buy something that is ready to go ?

• Baller

I'm very interested. However, what makes a boat good enough to be a daily trainer? Is it zero-off? Is it a upgraded motor? Are there hull tricks that make the older boats ski more comparably to newer boats?

If you need all of the above then it will be expensive as @Jody_Seal has pointed out, and if that's what needs to be done then so be it. However, if you can get 90% there by rebuilding an existing engine (with more power), adding z-box, and maybe doing some "simple" hull mods that may be more accessible to the skier on a tight budget.

Just some thoughts. Good luck @Horton!

The time/money equation will depend on the individual.....when I built my boat I had plenty of time and absolutely no money so what I did made good sense. Now, all these years later I have no time and a little more money so my project would be different if I were contemplating it today.

• Baller
@Horton If you can incorporate a video documentary series on it, showing the reality (every PIA headache detail) of this project, it exponentially increases the value of this project as a whole to every baller potentially interested in doing the same/similar project (myself included).

• Baller_
Been kicking around the idea of a repower with a lightly used PCM and adding ZO for a while now. Would not be able to find a boat already set up for less $$ I am sure of that. But, still not cheap. My reservation is training. It seems much easier to ski when I get behind a ZO boat then my Clasic PP by far (once I went through all settings and found what works). Typically I run up to or past my pactice scores in tournaments. It is a different pull by a long shot. But if I'm training behind something that's a little more challenging and find things easier at tournaments, why spend the thousands. Being a skier on a tight budget comes into play as well. Zbox is an option. But still not the same pull. But would love to hear the process of anyone going through the upgrade. All the more info to factor in to a large investment like this.

• Administrators
@smalor One of the problems in the sport is cost of entry. If you can afford a $40k to $80k boat this project is likely not directed at you. Bottom line is we want more skiers to see that they can be involved without a new boat. Not saying it is easy but nothing worthwhile is.

• Baller

This has been my dream project for several years now. Absolutely my answer to whenever someone says "if you could do anything, what would it be?!" I'm all for transforming that series of hull with a modern drive train and some additional amenities. My idea (without giving it completely away), think of the Nautique Paragon from the mid 90's, combined with the sweet luxurious look of the old barrel-backed Chris Crafts, but still a fiberglass hull and efficiency enough to pull an interested skier into short line...

Someday... Someday...

Speaking of that, if anyone in the midwest is looking to offload a 91-94 MC Prostar hull on the cheap (I don't need anything except the lower section of the part line, just the hull for now) let me know!

I'm excited to see your one arm efforts during your downtime @Horton !!

• Baller
@Horton if someone is just looking to get started in the sport , there is no need for all those upgrades. For $9000 one could easily find a suitable boat with speed control . Does one really need ZO to be competitive?

• Baller_
@OB even payments can be tough. Not a lot of banks are gonna loan on a 40k toy...I could be wrong. This idea does put another option on the table for a lot of skiers that have a great deal of "winter" time to play with a rebuild. Whatever "winter" is....

• Baller
@rodltg2 that is my neighbors boat. He is giving it away at that price. Is my favorite boat to drive and ski behind. Boat was replaced a year ago only because he wanted ZO. He is thinking about raising price , so people won't think its a junk boat. Has lived at Ski West it's whole life ,so 2/3 of hours are at idle , started out as promo boat. Someone will score big with this find !! Hey @Horton , weren't you gonna buy this at one time ?