Tips on getting good initial "lean" after pull out

gt2003

• Baller
Any trick to getting a good initial lean into the gates? I "think" I'm leaning but when I watch my videos...not so much, just kind of leaning back. I've been watching videos of Terry Winter and Regina the last couple of days. The are stacked straight up and down at the end of their pullout then BAM, they are almost laying on the water cutting toward the gates. Is this just a practice thing? Although still not great, I've been very focused on working on my stack, keeping hips and chest up and working on proper handle position. I just don't seem to be able to get hardly any "lean". I'm kind of thinking its a "trust" thing where I just have to do it more and more to develop confidence in the move. The times where I at least get a decent lean, I notice the difference in speed from one side to the other. Any thoughts?

• Baller

@MattP Here are a couple from ski school when I was just barely grasping the concept of hips up. I'm not working the balls and am not releasing my hands on the turns per Alans request. The second video has a terrible pull out but watch me just before I bite it. That's the first time I really felt like I had good angle (even though it's not that good).

• Baller

For just getting started don't worry about it too much. Seven or eight hundred wake crossings will help increase your confidence and then you will be able to feel more and get a bit more aggressive, yet stay in control.

A general suggestion is don't try and lean too much. That often puts beginners (and more advanced skiers) on their back foot in what is basically a deep water start posture. Move out to a wider point on the boat to start, then simply start turning back toward the wake staying in the middle of the ski. (Looks like you are doing okay at this) As you gain confidence your angle will likely increase automatically.

Good luck and have fun!

• Baller
@MrJones and @estrom are both giving good advice. As you gain confidence start pulling out further instead of leaning harder. The further out you pull the more time and distance your lean has to develop as you approach centerline. Also, as you go further out you have the benefit that it is easier to lean against the boat due to geometry/math. No need to force or rush it.

• Baller

Thanks guys. That all makes sense. Practice pull outs and hold, wider pull = better time to develop angle but keep good body position. I'm heading to the course this weekend and will work on pull outs especially. I'm gonna get this thing eventually!