Ski is skipping when turning around off side ball..

spitzleyj

• Baller

@spitzleyj , Equipment: start moving your boots forward. Technique: get more weight on your front foot coming into the turn. Is likely both, but get the boot to a good place where the ski turns without the chatter/bouncing and then really work on getting on the front of the ski coming into the turn. The technique tip is pure conjecture, so go get a lesson or post video. Tons of guys on here, highly qualified

• Administrators
Ski skipping out is lack of grip. Assuming we correctly understand what is meant by @spitzleyj. Bindings forward actually takes grip from the tail of the ski.

• Baller

He said, "coming into the buoy". I took that to mean the ski is chattering/bouncing, as it comes into the turn. Yes, if it's skipping, that's a totally different issue, and my advice was 100% wrong. But, skipping as it's loosing grip should be an after the ball, or at least far later in the turn than "entering the turn".

Skipping sounds like Blowing out the tail. Odd that it would happen on the off side, before the onside. Correct?

Like I said, conjecture

• Baller
Same exact thing here, either a skip or a blow-out on off-side. Never happens in on side. I honestly think at least for me that both are the result of getting too far forward on the ski coming into the buoy, the skipping usually occurs when I separate early coming into the off-side...early separation for me is a bi-product of being late, blow-outs just happen when I'm late and hot into the ball

• Baller
Porpoising (feels like rollers when there aren't any) is very different from skipping (fin/tail of the ski breaking free of the water some). I've always heard that porpoising is due a tip high attitude of the ski during the turn, sometimes due to too much weight back.

• Baller
@spitzleyj I was just dealing with this problem on a new ski while I was getting it dialed in. My problem ended up being that I had too much ski in the water at my hardest pass. So I took some tipped out until it stop spitting the tail and I had a fluid turn. Now my offside turn is great! As for technique, just make sure you're skiing back to the handle with your head not dipping in word and up straight in a good stacked position. I hope that helps.

Hey, my husband is having problems with his Senate skipping/porpoising) off the wake, into his onside turn. He added some tip to the fin (per Schnitz's hints) and it is worse. Now it's doing it on both sides. He can't get his edge changed to make the next turn. He also doesn't think the ski has much speed across the course. A friend who also got the same ski loves it! Great speed, great turns. They have completely different ski styles. My husband rides neutral to forward (snow skier), early edge change. Our friend rides back, with a later edge change.

69" Senate

Approach boots

195-200 lbs

Fin at factory setting except for recent dropping of tip.

• Baller

I'm not so sure about "adding" fin length to stop porpoising. I've tested this and found the opposite. The first half of this video is with fin length too long. The second run is with fin length shortened by only .007". The results were repeatable.

• Administrators
@skijay Depending on what we are talking about.... if at exit of the ball the tip of the ski wonders up and down on the way to the first wake this is often not enough drag at the back of the ski. Add some length to increase drag and grip. It is really not a super common problem but I have seen it. It think it was more common with early Goodes.

• Baller
Man there is a lot of speculation going on here. @spitzleyj How about we start with what ski your on and what are your current settings? What speed and line length you getting too when this problems occurs? @deke Think your right. Maybe this original post was just a setup to watch the diagnosis run wild. One thing is clear. We tried everything above except for sanding bevels. Sand paper anyone?

• Baller
run an eighth inch bevel on the top edge of the ski on the off side turning edge from the middle of the back binding all the way to the tail. i guarantee it wont slip out again. wont get you wide enough to reach the ball either but whats life without a little compromise?

• Baller
Had/have a similar problem on both an A3 and Vapor with a variety of settings. Without video it's hard to tell, but for me it happens when I get on the back of the ski and drop my shoulder into the turn. The ski doesn't take much of an edge, turn is sluggish, and any rollers get amplified.

• Baller
Seriously, I was having the same issue on offside on my 67 Vapor. Porpoising when in decent shape coming into the buoy, as though the front of the ski is chattering a bit. I added some length as recommended above and the problem went away. Funny, I've gone through four iterations of fin adjustment, and I've now got it right - and it's just a fraction away from my original setup when Instarted this witch-hunt