New boat technology

rodltg2

• Baller
Wife is on board for a new boat soon. Waiting on a home purchase to finalize first before anything. Anyhow if it wasn't for the need for more room Centurion hands down. Still may consider it , but for my needs the 200 or prostar would be a better fit. My concern is the Lync system and whatever it is MC uses. Anyone else concerned that years from now replacement parts or fixing an issue will be a problem ? I know I can find a Nautique with all analog , but have not seen any MC. It scares me that if that system goes down , I'm screwed! Are my concerns valid or am I paranoid. i have 3 trouble free years on my 99 nautique. I would hate to spend slot of money only to regret it.

• Baller
Why unload the 99? Not being snarky just looking for what might be your needs. Looking for better wake...detectable improvement unlikely. Tracking...detectable improvement maybe. ZO...clearly. Space...understandable. Dollars...keep her and you are ahead.

• Baller

We were just talking about this over on PN. There really isn't much to the Linc that can't be repaired with a re-flash...in theory anyway. Glass cockpit techno is nothing new, so I wouldn't be afraid of it.

Agreed on checking out a TXi. I'm a CC fan, but you can't beat the bow of a TXi for a dry ride. On public water, you have to be on your game in the 200 to not dunk the bow.

• Baller
I've had the same big concern as I see all of these computer screen controls on all these new boats. Do we really think those things are going to still be in perfect operating order with all available software updates etc. in 10 years when the original owner is trying to sell the boat? Kind of scary if you ask me. If i were in your shoes, I would be very paranoid about what the support will be of these little screens 10 years from now.

• Baller
I would be concerned with changes in screen size or aspect ratio impacting future part availability. That already happened with the 200, but the analog remains the same size. That, of course, is also subject to change and why you can always sell an Airguide speedometer.

• Baller
@rodltg2 The Mc is by far the easiest system to operate and makes common sense, the Linc system requires too much effort jumping between screens, nothing seems to flow very easy to get on the wrong screen and too much information that is not essential to tournament skiing

• Baller

I am surprised nobody has come up with a bootstrap arrangement for older boats, along the lines of GPS and Electric Servo directly on the throttle linkage.

Could you use Perfect Pass throttle arrangement but instead of Magnets use GPS to control, there must be some Guru out there who could put something together.

• Baller

@ Stevie Boy, several techno guys have played with and built several successful "homemade" systems for almost peanuts.

Since you already have a '99, one of the hands down best tugs ever, and space is a concern, why not buy a $10k used pontoon? I doubt you're taking the whole fam damily and toys and gear out while you are skiing the course.... That weight will ruin the wake!

• Baller
The new ProStar is a great boat, love the touch screen interface and the convertible bow. Really depends on your situation, since I have a 'toon and SeaDoos at the dock I like the Centurion for skiing.....I agree with @Orlando76, but if the wife is willing to go new..... For the MC money you could go with a CP and a 22' pontoon and have the best of both worlds!

• Baller

@TNh2oskier Take the wife on a demo of the Malibu TXi. The rough water ride is great for a DD, it has a usable size bow for 2 adults and a rear lounger for the Mrs. Also a back up key to start the motor if the touch screen blanks out.

Oh...and it skis and drives very well.

• Baller

I skied for a few days behind a new Malibu. Interesting. No keys, just a button. To start it you needed to touch a touch screen. To shut it down you had to touch it again. Touch screens don't really like my fingers. Not the most comfortable setup but it worked more intuitively than his BMW (keyless, hard to override seat adjustment, weird shifter, weird start, weird blinker (what's the least rewarding job? BMW blinker installer.). Sometimes there is too much tech. What happens in ten years in my brackish water to the fancy tech?

My 2011 MC might be the peak of robust technology. Great all around wake. Indmar (common mature design engine) engine. Key to start and stop. Dedicated hard buttons on the ZO. Works great but the tech is hidden. The interface with us is simple and straightforward.

@rodltg2 You are sharing my concerns. But new boats are cool.

Eric

• Baller
@eleeski - there is a backup key in case the screen fails. Some of the newest Malibus now have a start/stop button on the dash rather than having to use the touchscreen to start/stop (still have to enter the code there to enable the start button). I don't think that the TXI got that feature yet since the dash is a generation behind most of the other boats.

• Baller

My 200 had the Linc system and when I was shopping I originally was looking for the analog gauges due to concerns over the long term reliability of the glass display. But most 200s have the Linc system and that's what I ended up getting. There is one big advantage to the Linc system over the gauges. It'll read and display engine DTC codes. Which is supper valuable if you do your own engine work. With the analog gauge set you have to buy the $700 Diacom software if you want to be able to read engine codes.

In the end, both the Linc display or the analog gauge set on a boat may fail over time. Predicting which one a company like Nautique, or any other one for that mater, will still have in stock as a replacement part is kinda a gamble. And it may be an invalid assumption that replacing the analog gauge pack is any cheaper than replacing the Linc unit. Since more 200s ship with the Linc system, it possible that it could be available as a replacement part longer than the analog gauge set which I think is also one integrated unit and not individual gauges like days of old.

I don't get the point people are making over upgrading software. There is no real reason you'd have to upgrade software on any of these glass displays. Maybe there is a tweak or new feature that would be nice, but it's not something you have to have. In the case of ZO integrated system on newer boats. I'm pretty sure it's just the display and control of ZO handled by the glass display. I think there is still an independent ZO computer module under the covers and software on that is what would be upgraded for a new version of ZO software, not the glass display. But that is something I'd want to verify before I bought a boat with integrated ZO. And in any case, supporting software updates on multiple versions of glass displays isn't actually a very hard problem.

The one thing that made me feel better about my year 200, is the engine starting and zero off where independent of the Linc system. So if the Linc did fail, it would just be like the analog gauge set failing. The boat would still work, I just wouldn't be able to see dashboard readings until I got it fixed. But that is becoming less true on newer boats and is the main reason I'm not a big fan of integrating the zero off controls into the glass display.