How do you conquer your fear.

Wish

• Baller_
This is a sport we go till we fail. Our most difficult line is the one often riden to the point of disaster or at least the potential is there every time. So sitting in the water at 38 having just come off ankle injury...still taped and braced, it is very hard to not think of re-injury. I've run 38 since injury and been inside 5 often enough. Right now the 35 has to be spot on for me to even consider shortening. Perhaps @Luzz could chime in cause it's gotta be more then..."just don't think about it". What do you do to push your thoughts past fear.

• Baller
alcohlics anonymous breaks down the word fear as *f*alse *e*vidence *a*ppearing *r*eal. if you embrace that bit of wisdom then you conquer fear by facing up to it and looking it dead in the eye. if it doesn't flinch then may be you have a good reason to be afraid of it -in which case ' fear ' can also mean ' f**k everything and run ' !

• Baller

Wish

your last line struck a cord with me, I have been battling my own demons recently the reasons are different to yours (i nearly drowned and it made me scared of water which is unhelpful when trying to progress in this sport). I developed the following strategy which works for me some years ago and not in watersport. I write this not as a solution but just my experiences of what works for me, you and anyone reading this will need to develop your own solution. Maybe some of my learnings will help you do this.

I buy into the theory that fear lives in the primitive brain, logic and reason have no power hear.

Fear was developed so we did not get eaten by big scary animals like dinosaurs or fall off cliffs.

My logic is that when you take a bad fall and get injured your primitive brain which does not know what a ski course is thinks " big scary ski course dinosaur thing is trying to kill me, STAY AWAY"

How i deal with fear, and a range of other related experiences.

I try to evaluate where I am, this is tough to do because I lack perspective. So after years of doing this I break it down to one simple question now: "Can I face this off and be sure of pulling it off or not" there is no logic to this it's simple can you or can't you NEVER LIE TO YOURSELF!!! If I can I face my demons, in the recent problem I assembled best crew around me WHO I TRUST and went for it, this strategy works best for stuff you know deep down you can overcome and you do it asap after initial incident. Physical injury often denies me that option and it's easy to get into a psychological loop spiralling down. Not going to detail that hear.

Strategy for not facing off straight afterwards. Primitive brain does not understand logic or reason but it does understand experience. Give it positive experience!!! protect it from reinforced bad experience. No really primitive brain thinks "i really don't like this ski course nasty creature thing but go on then we will try it" and you get injured straight away whats it going to think? FEAR.

I have a few rules if on this loop, work for me, you need your own.

MY RULESI

I don’t dwell on the incident if I can help it, I try not to think about it when my brain want’s to (not always possible), I plan when I am going to think about it and do so with the specific objective of determining whether I am improving or not. If I am not improving I try not to get frustrated (I always get frustrated!) and try to change strategy.

Primary strategy be nice to primitive brain it's scared so give it nice positive reassuring experiences, when happy it will go back to sleep and I can get on with training program.

Wish

at my level i have the option to mix it up a bit i.e. drop the speed raise the speed shorten or lengthen to get past my fear you are a lot further up the tree than me so you have limited options available. My only advice is be nice to yourself for a bit (frustrating I know) protect yourself from further injury (physical) as that will only damage your training program and upset primitive brain more.

Note: for anyone reading this with a primitive brain you should note that I am not sugesting that wish has a primitive brain just explaining how one theory suggests that we all have one!

• Baller

@Wish , I am not at your level, but older and wiser, if your ankle is strapped up and braced, you are very lucky to be skiing and running 38Off, personally I would let that ankle heal and not push the envelope too far, you may find yourself not skiing at all, if it is just impossible for you to stay away from 39Off, may I suggest one bouy at a time, if training, do not be afraid to give the pass up, there is no point in busting yourself up, while training.

That being said you can only conquer fear by facing it head on, but take note, if you were a wounded animal in the wild, would you take on, your biggest adversary ?

Pain goes away it gets easier. Till then I can logic my way out of fear of re-injury, with varying degrees of success. Easiest is to convince myself a technology change will protect me. Then go buy new technology. Only works if I believe. Clearly not gonna be a science experiment gatormod for you.

Next I try "rules of engagement" change based on circumstances surrounding injury: ie "no hitting balls, no skiing pissed". That approach kept me jumping for years but eventually the rules got so restrictive I could never jump. This one works pretty good too until you run out of loop holes in the rules.

I have tried the statistics approach: been skiing long time, just got hurt, what are the odds it'll happen again. The smarter you are the worse this one works. Russian roulette is not a game enjoyed by our high iq citizens. Particularly when you have added another bullet in the cylinder by virtue of a weakened joint.

Good luck. I've been toying with golf.

• Supporting Member

I hear base jumping is pretty safe...*

@Wish In your particular case, I would think some equipment would help, at the very least as kind of a distraction to work on setting it up. No surprise, my recommendation will be an OB4 binding system. Heck, you're already used to the extra height (in fact OB4 may be lower than your current setup). But many other possibilities exist -- another favorite is Cayman2's nemesis Gatormod. :smile:

That could provide some actual protection against a similar injury, and also give your brain something to do while you dial it in.

*My brother's line about base jumping: "I try to avoid sports where the default outcome is death."