Breaking the water under the front foot

coxjon

Im a 6foot5 chap currently skiing on a 67 Senate C, and compared to most on here an intimidate skier, getting round the course at 40kmh.

What I am finding is i struggle to get on the front foot and break the water under or infront of my front foot; infact it breaks behind it, almost below my rtp (i.e. over half the ski is out of the water). My binding is right the way forward so can't push any further.

I do think this is having an affect on me getting slickly round the buoy......... any thoughts?

• Supporting Member

Bend at the ankles and drive your hips forward over the ski and report back.

You probably don't want your bindings forward like that. That could actually make you feel uncomfortable to stand the right way on the ski, indirectly making your problem worse.

• Baller

This will seem counter intuitive, but "hear" me out...

If a skier has his or her bindings too far forward, then when he or she stands in a properly balanced and stacked position, the ski will feel too tip heavy. The skier will feel "at risk" when forward on the ski. Thus, the skier will have a tendency to ride "back" on the ski in an attempt to feel safe and controlled. So, when I see a skier skiing way back on the ski (water always breaking under to behind the front boot, I first ask if the binding are too far forward of stock settings.

(BTW, the same logic can be applied for a skier who is constantly shoulders forward trying to find balance. That skier may have the bindings too far back and feel less connected to the water when properly stacked and balanced on the ski.)

• Baller

@coxjon - here are some links with details regarding the setup on the Senate C. Pay attention to the dates as they may be referencing prior models.

2012:

http://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/6957/binding-location-numbers-for-radar-senate-c

2013:

http://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/8132/binding-setup-radar-senate-c

2014:

http://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/10398/radar-senate-mini-review

(note from @Horton: "IMPORTANT NOTE - Binding placement is super important. On my first ride I was at 30.25 and the ski sort of sucked. I moved the bindings back to 30 and KaPow! the ski came to life. You may think that since this is not a $1,400 ski that settings are not important... you would be wrong.")

See also:

If you need more Radar help, try emailing: techinfo AT squareoneco DOT com

• Baller

Once you get the bindings back in the right spot, as suggested, do some free skiing up around 46-49kmh (28-30mph). When you pull out and glide, try to stand up tall and balanced, as in this slow motion video, from about the 35 second mark to about 45 seconds (don't worry about the rest of the amazing video). Get used to that feeling of standing tall & strong without leaning back.

In addition to binding position, it's possible that the desire to ski the course (instead of free-skiing) is forcing you to put the speed so low that it's contributing: you might be riding back to counter the feeling that the ski is sinking.

• Baller
Try the binding- back move first. It may let you stand in a taller, balanced position (and feel weight on your front foot). Plus it's much easier to put back to the original setting of it doesn't work. You could free ski at a higher speed to feel the glide and rhythm of slalom, then slow down when trying the course.

• Supporting Member
Be very cautious of adjusting a fin unless you have a quality caliper AND fairly direct consultation from an expert. Nearly invisible changes can make the ski almost unusable. And it's much more likely that your problem is something more fundamental.