Rubber boots for OB4 system

Greg Lukin

Hi guys,

I'm running the front hard shell on the ob4 system with rtp rear atm. I went from rubber to hardshells and I just can't get use to them. I tried my old rubber boots yesterday and wow - almost back to where I think I should be... but I really need the safety of the ob4 system.

So what are my options? I see a few have used stradas - any other suggestions?

Any help would be much appreciated.

cheers

• Baller
I never tried the Strada but I know a lot of people how love them. With the liner heat molded there supposed to be really comfy. The rs1, strada, and now vapor boots are very similar. You can probably find a deal on some older closeout stuff.

• Baller

@Greg Lukin if you want to use a soft fit type boot on the OB4 the Radar boots will work well, also the HO Vmax boots and the Jobe boots. But your foot should not be able to come out of the boot in a fall. Replace the stretchy laces with non stretch ones.

When changing from rubber to hard shell boots your foot becomes more rigidly attached to the ski. While this provides more positive control of the ski, it makes positioning the foot and movements more critical. If the boots seem too sensitive to body movements, loosen the buckles slightly. Also your stance on the ski becomes more critical, so slight chanting or rotating of the boot may be necessary to align to your natural stance.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Supporting Member

I'm curious which shells you tried? I was in rubber for decades, and had several failed attempts to get into hard shells, but the new low-cuff OB4 shells (that I understand Reflex is also using) with Intuition Aqua liners feel "just like home" to me.

Adjusting boot-to-boot separation (including cutting boot toe if needed), rotation (in plane of ski), and cant (around long axis of ski) can indeed be critical to success, but certainly at some point it's time to give up if they're just not for you.

To be perfectly honest my technique is terrible (too much weight back - so hard to change). I use to think I went ok as a social skier and then went ok when I started in the course - I got to 34mph straight up and was nudging a few balls at 36. Then I had my accident which screwed my foot and my confidence. Finally 18 months later and I can ski (and walk) without pain. I use to play top grade squash and trained 3 times a week which kept me fit. Now I've put on 10kgs, have little fitness and a hardshell boot to get use to.

My head said why can't you get back to where you were!! honestly its my lack of form and fitness more so than the boots. But I'm not enjoying my skiing atm - first time ever - I live for it normally. I think my expectations where too high. We are coming into the warmer months now so I really wanted to be entering into my first comp with some form. I'll still enter the comp and just suck a bit- hopefully improve a fair bit over the summer.

Now its time to go back to basics- get my stack, get fitness back, lose weight. The rubber boots are something I'll do for now to try and make my skiing more normal**. Once I get back to fitness I'll probably try the hardshells again.

Now I'm off for a workout, baby steps....

@Than_Bogan do you have a photo of both your boots side by side? I want to see the cuff difference between the original and the new one?

I think I'm going to try and loosen my top cuff and see how that goes - my foot wont come out even if it is completely undone I think.

• Supporting Member
I have the soft shell and new hardshell, but not the "old" hardshell. Do you want to see that comparison? If so, I'll have to take a few minutes to stage it since the new shells are mounted to the release plates and the old ones aren't.