Ballers is this worth the initial work/headache?

Chris Taylor

• Baller

97 w GT40 is a great slalom boat.

Interior, good tune up and perfect pass, maybe 5 or 6 grand?

You can pick up a clean 97-99 for just under 15? Ready to ski.

I'd pass, unless you want a winter project and maybe save a few bucks.

They want to to haggle over the extended pylon....smh.

• Baller

Mine of that vintage was a great and versatile boat. Good slalom wake and with some weights, a good trick or wakeboard wake. Worthy of fixing up.

The PP problems sound workable. There's probably a broken wire, poor connection or corroded ground. If it's something more, PP was great about replacement parts to keep my boats running.

New boats and ZO would be nicer but a lot more money. This one could have good smiles per dollar - especially if you like mechanical work.

Eric

• Baller_
Make sure that extended pylon is solid. That's a lot more torque on something that stands that much higher. And why exactly did they need that. Was it a show boat or used for bare footing?. 900 hours is not bad it's just how it has been used. Had a buddy travel a ways for his Gekko. Every flaw (and there were many) had a story behind it that started with "...well, me and my buddies were drinkn and......" Ya, one story explained how they caught the carpet on fire. Can tell a lot just by striking up a conversation with the owner. Heck, bring him some beer and start negotiations that way.

Long time lurker, first post here. Great forum.

I visit that area often and while that boat is not immediately familiar, I'd guess it is a former ski show boat due to the pylon setup and condition. Run hard and long and borrowed by many. If I were interested I'd price some 1000hr. comparables and subtract the work needed at what it would cost me personally. Then decide from there after a thorough checking over.

It CAN be a great way to get into the boat you want if you can't afford a gem. It's what I did with my ELX and I'm now sitting in really good shape on the investment vs. value scale. On mine the work needed was easily completed for very little money, just a bunch of winter evenings spent in the garage. Interiors and gauges can get pricey, luckily mine didn't need those.