Best long distance trailer for 2008 Nautique 196

PAskier

• Baller
I trailer about 6,000 mile a year. I have had 2 blow outs and most recently one brake caliber locked up. This is on a single axle trailer. I am thinking of going to a tandem axle trailer. I use Goodyear Marathon Radials. Tire pressure was checked the morning before the last blow out. Not a gauge issue, verified against calibrated gauge. What trailers do you all like? Thanks

• Baller
For a 196 - a Ram-Lin single axle torsion bar suspension trailer is hard to beat. They load and unload easily on any ramp no matter how steep or shallow. I've gotten the best service out of trailer tires when I keep them at their maximum rated PSI. Tandem axles give you twice as many opportunities for failures, and they don't ride that much better than a single axle torsion bar suspension. Tandems are also difficult to push around by hand if you have to make any turn.

• Baller
@Bruce_Butterfield is right. I motorhome and tires for it age out not wear out. I would say more like 6 years, but maybe 4 for a boat trailer. Any tandem I've had experience with feels better behind the truck, but that's the only advantage I see.

• Baller

In all honesty maintenance and preparation is more important. Service the whole trailer yearly by bleeding the brakes and making sure the calipers are moving. Then repack bearing every few thousand miles (a tube of good heavy duty marine grease is under $10 and you can usually fully repack a hub with less than a full tube). I would stick with a single axle but carry 2 spare tires. This should make maintenance easier due to less parts but takes care of the blow out issue stranding you some where. Also keep the spares out of the sun.

We used to trailer from Cincinnati, Ohio to Cumberland/Norris/Dale Hollow several times a summer. Usually 2 times per summer we would fully repack the hubs and bleed and clean the brakes once a year. This kept our sigle axle trailers trouble free. I lost 1 bearing due to a seal failing but managed to limp it home (we think the seal was installed wrong because it was a brand new trailer) and having 2 spare tires saved our butt a few times.

• Baller
I never had a dual axle trailer until my present boat. I bought it in Ohio and pulled it back to Texas. Best pulling boat I ever had, you hardly know its back there. The down side is that if have to move the boat/trailer by hand the dual axles fight each other and make it much more difficult. One of my previous houses required me to park the boat in the garage at a angle so the last part I did manually. I've started putting dot5 silicone brake fluid. It seems to work better, does not absorb water like dot 3 does. Plus it doesn't ruin you paint.