Best way to fix this - 2004 LXI tracking fin

oldjeep

• Baller

We heard a thump turning at the tight end of the course today (which was apparently the fin smacking the other fins or bottom of boat) and then soon after noticed that the bilge was pumping like crazy. There had been a previous problem with this fin hitting a lift crossmember and tearing out 2 of the bolts. The holes were filled with epoxy, redrilled and then the fin assembled with 5200. Seems like that repair only lasted a year or so. Doesn't appear to be a way to reach the area from the inside of the boat, it is under the small cooler that is right in front of the pylon.

Thoughts on the best way to repair this? And anyone know if there is a way to remove that little floor cooler?

http://oldjeep.com/images/Malibu/Harolds/WP_20150912_001.jpg

http://oldjeep.com/images/Malibu/Harolds/WP_20150912_002.jpg

• Baller

Looks like you have some gel coat issues there as well. Definitely take it to a pro.

A few years back I hit a submerged log with my '05 LXI. Fortunately missed the tracking fins but destroyed the shaft strut, prop shaft, and prop. Somehow missed the rudder, who knows? Shaft strut was folded towards the bottom of the boat at a 45 degree angle, busted all the gel coat around the area, looked like the fiberglass was broken all the way through, though my boat was totally screwed. The shop I took it to (Summit Marine in Kansas City - highly recommended if you live in the area) did the mechanical work but farmed the hull repairs out to another place that works on large offshore boats etc. They took one look at it, stated it was no big deal to fix. When I got the boat back you absolutely could not tell any difference from when the boat was new, appearance wise or performance wise. $5000 in repairs (thank God for good boat insurance) but worth every penny. Definitely take it to a pro, money well spent IMO.

• Baller

If you are interested, I had some gel-coat work done on my 1997 Ski Nautique by a guy out of Excelsior MN. He has done a good amount of work on inboards including full stringer jobs.

I will see if I can dig up his information. It was a pretty small outfit, but top notch work.

• Baller
I think he has a plan in place. Bunch of documented fixes elsewhere on the web that show it to be a pretty simple process with worse damage than his. Goal is to have it skiing again this week if the fin and hardware can be had quickly. Season is getting short.

• Baller

Glad you are getting it taken care of. I dug up the details and I figured I'd share it just in case someone else might need it someday.

His name is Bob Mork. The company name is Lake Land Fiberglass. 612-743-6765.

Great guy, awesome work and does onsite work too if needed.

• Baller

Love the search feature! Not only did I find relevant info...the first hit happened to bring me to this thread covering the exact same problem I have, on the exact same model/year boat. Those pics look identical to mine.

Only difference is that I'm not in Minnesota.

Anybody have a fiberglass repair guru they recommend in the Denver area? Any ballpark guidance on what the repair has cost others? (I understand the replacement fin in about $130).

Thanks!

• Baller

Fwiw, what he wound up doing was stuffing squares of soaked glass mat up through the holes and then pulling them down. Then he filled the rest of the hole with resin and taped over it. Then drilled for screws, glued fin on with 4200.

So far it has worked out, but we're going to take a look at it when his boat is pulled out for the season in 2 weeks.