Should I buy a comp vest?

escmanaze

• Baller

Alright guys - the last time I bought a lifejacket was 10 years ago and somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 pounds ago. That is so sad. Anyway, it was just the Costco special and it has served me well, but with my new larger frame, I feel like it's probably getting a bit too tight. So I think I'm in the market for a new lifejacket. At first I thought I would just wait until spring and go buy another HO costco special, but then I realized that hardcore skiers wear comp vests.

What are the pros and cons of a comp vest in comparison with a traditional HO Costco special?

thanks

• Baller
I just bought a 2015 radar vapor vest. Found it on clearance for $99. Its comfortable and has plenty of floatation. Last 3 years was using a camaro impact vest. It recently started coming unstitch plus the material was getting stretched out causing the floatation panels to get twisted up. The radar vest has a heavy duty zipper which I like because I can put it on with my gloves on. Other than that they seem similar in construction.

• Baller

Cons - You probably won't float as high in the water with a comp vest and they won't give you as much rib protection.

Pros - Better flexibility and fit. Easier to get handle closer to hips, no belt/buckle to scrape against your arms. Your ski buds won't make fun of you.

• Baller

Comparing a comp vest to a Costco special is really the wrong comparison. I'd be comparing a well fitted vest against a cheap poorly fitting one.

I use a radar x-vest which is USCG approved, fits well and as long as you are not pregnant there is no issue bending over to reach your toes ;)

• Baller

My son got his first comp vest from EAGLE SPORTS and skied it for the first time this past weekend. IT ROCKS! Even at 6 years old, he said the vest was easier to move in, easier to get up in, and it seemed to run his hardest pass 3 straight rounds in a row............ PLUS HE LOOKS WAY COOL IN IT!

My 2 cents, if you are skiing private lakes, tournaments, or have a somewhat controlled environment, I am not concerned with the non USCG approved vests. If you are skiing in other locations with possibly less experience boat crews....... I might stick with the USCG version.

• Baller
@GOODESkier; Ditto. Private lakes a great piece of equipment. Public lakes, stick with USCG vests. I went from a USCG vest >> O'Neil Outlaw >> Eagle vest. Fits Great. Better flexibility. Easier to get handle closer to hips, and I can put on the vest before getting into my bindings.

• Baller

I know this will sound bad, but I always have worn and have my kids wear comp vests. So much more comfortable and much easier to keep the elbows tight.

Up here we don't need approved life jackets for skiing on public water...just need one in the boat.

• Baller

We ski on public water that does have USCG rules and most all serious skiers are in comp vests. We don't have much if any patrol so I am not really worried about getting stopped. Generally I think if someone has a vest on then the patrols leave them alone.

I find the comp vests to be much more comfortable than the USCG vests. I do think the USCG vests are overbuilt for water skiing. In the event someone gets hurt skiing there is a boat back to them within seconds there isn't a need for the vest to flip them and float them face up while unconscious. I do agree that some USCG vests have better protection in hard falls than some comp vests.

• Baller

Oneill Slasher rocks.

Super flex and stretch.

Well padded with no padding exactly where your arms lock into the sides of your chest when in pull mode. Arms get in nice and tight to chest.

Neolite super light foam does not absorb water so vest stays lighter and dries faster.

ypiz3veeb3z9.jpg

• Baller

A couple things to think about. Most of the USCG vests we use for water sports are of the type 3 variety. They will keep you floating at the surface if incapacitated but they will not roll you face up like a type 1, 2 (for kids) or 5. That being said even floating face down is a good thing as a boat can turn around and recover you from the water in less than a minute or two.

Now many comp vests barely float you and if rendered unconscious there is a chance you will sink below the water surface. There are options for more flotation (Eagle offers it on their comp vests) but many don't. If I exhale fully while wearing comp vest I sink about 3+ feet under water. If unconscious I may inhale water which could sink me even further.

In a controlled environment like a tournament I think the performance benefit of a lighter vest has minimal risks. The lake is usually shallow and there are lots of people very close to get you. On a larger body of water with more depth, if you sink your ski partners may not be able to find you.

Purchase the option you feel fits you best but if it's a comp vest check to see how well you float after a full exhale. This test put my Oneil Checkmate on the shelf a few years ago since I don't ski in what I referred to above as a controlled environment. I feel a bit safer in a USCG rated Oneil Revenge.

• Baller

Comp vest is so worth it to me. I even have the Radar X-vest that so many people love and don't like it anymore. I simply cannot get in a comfortable pulling position through the wakes with a USCG vest on. Considering I've broken ribs 3 times with USCG vests and none with comp vests (knock on wood), I go against the grain and say that rib protection on USCG vests is worse. To be clear, I've definitely taken the same falls that I've broken ribs with on several occasions with the comp vest and haven't had a problem.

If you ski public waters, I highly recommend researching which comp vests float the best. Not all will actually float you...at all. I've had good luck with my Radar comp vests although the vapor vest was too big even in size small. The O'Neill checkmate floats well too. Fully exhale with the vest and if you sink, forget it.

One downside to comp vests that most people don't mention is they don't last as long as USCG vests and cost a lot more. If you want the vest to float you without air in your lungs, you'll probably have to replace your vest every 2 years as it will slowly lose flotation. They're made out of more stretchy materials as well which makes them more comfortable but they do fall apart a bit faster.

• Baller

I had a ski partner that fractured their scull, and was unconscious when I spun the boat to render aid. He was barely floating. So I agree with what @Wayne says.

I would suggest doing the following regardless. Test if you float with as little air in your lungs as possible. Also see if your ski partner can haul your fat arse up on the swim step if need be. After retrieving my buddy face down and drowning, I had my wife try and load me at least onto the swim step alone if I was unconscious. She is a littler lady (But a Canadian......) and she could get my 190 lbs of dead weight out of the water if need be.

I often consider who I am skiing with, and would I trust them to save my life. Much like traveling into the back country snowmobiling or skiing. You place your life in your friends hands........

• Baller

I've been rocking a Revenge USCG version for years now. I have no problem with it and I've matched PBs in that vest as well as my Eagle comp vest. I wear the comp vest at tournaments and ski school. I wear the USGG during practice because I'm skiing at 6AM in a private lake with just one other person- I would like to stay afloat. Our water has very low visibility so even a couple feet under the water and you're gone from sight. Anything can happen that early in the morning including hitting debris, etc. You never know.

Here's what's really interesting- one of the guys I ski with has always skied with this cheesy O'neill nylon over foam block USCG vest. No neoprene. Like something you'd get as a freebie with your Bayliner. As wally as possible. One day I forgot my vest and borrowed his. It may look cheesy but DAMN was it LIGHT! Absolutely zero weight and absorbed zero water. It was no joke and I skied fine with it. Definitely got me thinking.

My neo Revenge vest probably weighs 15 lbs wet. Does anyone take into account their "wet vest" weight factor when choosing their ski length? It has to be a serious factor with these heavier neo USCG vests.

• Baller
@Wayne I am am with you on your points about being incapacitated. My wife and made a decision years ago to stick with USCG type vests due to exactly this. We ski on public water, usually "poaching" as we say, which means we have no observer. It occurred to us that if one of us, especially me, was unconscious dead weight, the other would probably have a tough time getting you back in the boat. I think a comp vest would be great under any other circumstances.

• Baller
I've now missed about 4 weeks this year due to bruised ribs in 2 separate incidents. Had never bruised a rib in over 20 years skiing. Ski got me both times right below my pec on either side. So I'm now thinking about a vest with more protection, but there really doesn't appear to be many options.. I'm in an oneill checkmate, which I love. Not ready for a USCG vest at this point

• Baller

I thought it was Oneill that used to make a Hybrid nylon/neoprene vest. It was camo and safety orange in color, zip front with 2 buckles. So I think it was USCG approved. That thing was super light and drained water fast. I can't find it so I think it was discontinued.

I had 2 incidences that convinced me to change the vest I wear. First was a hard crash on a core of engineers run resivoir. Where we skied was 25 to 40 feet deep and the water was always muddy with no visibility below the surface. I did 3 cartwheels, tumbled a few times and once I stopped moving I had no clue which way was up but luckily I was aware enough I knew I was under water. So I just held still and another stroke of luck I had enough air in my lungs to float to the surface. The next thing I felt was being rolled face up and held some what upright until I regained my senses.

A number of years later I had a weird fall where I ended up with one foot out and my Checkmate vest was pulled up over my shoulders with my arms stuck in it. Since I had one free foot I could tread water enough to keep my head above the water but could not get my arms free of the vest with out some help. Really strange fall and still not sure how that vest got pealed up off my torso like that. If I had 2 feet in I would have been screwed. My lesson learned was to use a USCG unless help is very close (the boat you're skiing behind is not close).

• Baller
I ski on a public river with LOTS of boat traffic ... this being said I ski in early morning and late evening when there is little to no other boat traffic. I use a non uscg approved O'neill Revenge ... it will float me in any position however it is significantly less buoyant than my fathers USCG approved version. I think it is a matter of personal preference.

• Baller

So I stopped by my local shop yesterday. My favorite was the Oneill Outlaw. Among the USCG approved ones, they had a Liquid Force one that felt really good. Overall, their inventory was pretty depleted for the fall though, so I will probably hold off until spring to buy whatever I end up buying.

I am surprised though at the huge variety of opinions here. Some items here on BOS are completely unanimous and this is definitely not one of them. Certainly a ton of difference of opinion here. Keep it coming!!

The same thought as @wayne and @deke here. Even though we are in a private lake, we are frequently the only boat in the water or at the lake. She had me try a new Eagle vest and it was indeed very comfy.

Unfortunately, it wouldn't float me if I even slightly exhaled. It was sold on Ski-It-Again shortly thereafter. I now use an Oneill Outlaw comp vest. It has enough flotation to keep me on the surface. Without passing that test, my wife (and driver of course) would not be driving me in course.

• Baller

Very much depends how big you are.

I am big with decent portion of fat and I float w/o west almost fully exhaled when swimming.

My skinny friend when exhaled sinks like iron nail w/o west

It is first.

The second is that my XL Oneil Slasher has two times more foam than his S-size Slasher.

So probably right choise of the vest is a very personal matter.

Bumping this thread rather than starting new. I've been looking into buying a comp vest. Just looking for recommendations. I've only tried two, a new eagle that fit me and an older Connelly that was a bit too small. Flotation was about the same on both and I'd prefer a bit more.

From this thread, I am considering a O'Neill slasher (non cga) or revenge (cga). At least I think that's the way they line up. Another I have found is a Connelly for close to half price. http://goo.gl/SQzy0Y {hope I shortened that right? Sorry if I didn't!

Anyways, love the flotation of my uscga vest, but wow it is restrictive and I'm constantly pulling it down. Comp vest just feels way better and looking for one with the most flotation or a coast guard approved with the most range of movement for skiing. Preferably zipper only and no buckles. Thanks!

• Baller
@paco I'm a fan of the O'Neill Revenge USCGA vest (see my previous posts). I would agree it limits your movement a little compared to a comp vest but it's such a minimal difference you will not notice it after a few sets.

• Baller

@paco the "tail" lead is really long and has velcro on the end, which you double back and attach to the rear strap. It's easy to put on wet or dry, semi-easy to remove. I unzip the back, pop an arm inside, and lift that arm up. Pops right off.

I was quite surprised by the buoyancy at less than half the thickness of my USCGA Neo vests from the past.

They have a full front zip option too. Not sure if that fits the same or has the same padding in same spots, but the rear zip is a really nice blend IMO.

• Baller
I just got an Oneill checkmate and it feels great. Previously had an Oneil CG approved (i believe the reactor.) This check mate certainly feels good, and seems to have adequate flotation. I would get a rash on inside of bicep if my arms were in proper position from the CG approved vest, not with the comp vest. I have always leaded toward the USCG vests for rib protection, and still wonder if that wouldn't be safer. Some earlier posts tho suggest they have had more injury with the CG approved? Any other experience? Any vests with rib protection built in that are still comfortable competition vests?

@UWSkier that dolphin vest is looking more appealing now that I see the front zip. Have you used other comp vests to compare? Or can you only compare to USCG vests? Did it feel heavy when wet?

I really like the idea of buying from smaller companies, they seem to pay closer attention to quality and durability. Not to mention, it's about 40 bucks less than the majority of comp vests. I just don't want to sacrifice the ski ability!

• Baller
I am in the market for a new vest. We just have a Costco HO now. I had a USCG approved O'Neil from the olden days for years, but the zipper broke. (pictured in my avatar pic) For me, mostly skiing in open water, temp considered cold by most here (and cold for hypothermia purposes), sometimes on murky salt water, I plan to find the best USCG one I can find. Probably another O'Neil. This last trip to WA, I skied in an old nylon over foam one laying around in the boat. Because it was dry. My ski buddy razzed me mercilessly. I refused to care. ;)

• Baller

@paco I've only compared to USCG Neos. I haven't found many comp vests that are comfortable on me.

Email Dolphin at contact@dolphinwetsuits.com and chat with Bugsy. He'll set you up with whatever you're looking for in terms of colors, custom sizing, etc. Tell him Matt the UW-Stout team alum sent you.

@UWSkier thanks for the info. I tried emailing them through their website yesterday with no response. I just messaged him through the address you posted, so hopefully I'll get a little more info. Just not a lot of info on the site as to what the vests are built for...

Anyone else with recommendations for a comp vest with best function and flotation?

• Baller

Radar Vapor. Slasher would roll up on me in any sort of sliding fall. I do use Revenge cga early season pre buoys for security. But the bulk of it gets old.

Vapor has way more bouyancy than Slasher. If you just sit and relax in water Vapor will just put you on your back which is comforting. Zipper is great. Gives a nice supportive hug. After skiing it vapor does feel like it holds a bit of water, do not even realize on when skiing. 5'9 170 size medium.