Minnesota guy new(ish) to waterskiing looking for a way to advance...

Fast351

• Baller

Hey guys,

I am new to BoS and as a way of introduction, I'm looking for some advise to get better at skiing...

A little about me: Just north of 40 on the age scale, been around water and boats all my life, started getting into towable watersports in the early 1990s first with a kneeboard, then around 2002, switched to wakeboarding, and also picked up surfing. More recently, my age has started to manifest itself in sore knees every time I wakeboard, so I started skiing, only to find I REALLY enjoy it! I've been skiing for about 6 years, took a class with Wade Cox a number of years ago who showed me the basics, and now ski with another guy on our lake every chance I get, but have never been on a course, and would like to get better.

So how do I go about it? I haven't really seen many waterski schools aside from real beginner stuff that a wakeboard school puts on or a week long camp aimed at teenagers. My goal is to eventually be good enough to run a course at a halfway decent line length, but for now I'll settle for just improving.

BTW, I have a 211 that we now mostly use for surfing west of the metro if anyone wants to come out and ride! I'd love to trade it off for a 200 but I think my wife would kill me. She loves to surf, and grudgingly skis once in a while :smile:

• Baller
Time on season kinda running out...windy the next number of days and off to Florida tourney next thursday thru monday. Most likely shutting down sometime shortly thereafter. If you contact me in the spring, though, happy to have you out. It may actually be best in spring as we usually do some free skiing prior to getting our courses installed after ice out. In just a set or two could give you lots to work on back home.

• Baller_
There should be a few skiers in the west metro that are looking for partners. The key is to be dedicated to skiing and learning to be a good driver and training partner. Knowing you will have to go out of your way sometimes to make sure to accommodate schedules of the people you train with.

• Baller

I'm actually looking forward to being able to train regularly with the guy I ski with on my lake (Dan can chime in if he wants :smile: ). We currently only do part time at our lake place, but we're moving there full time soon. That will increase my ability to get out and practice more...

Thanks for the offer 6balls. I will definitely keep that in mind.

• Baller_
If you want to improve, the best thing to do is to go right back to Wade Cox and get another week of instruction. Or two weeks. You could go down for a week this fall and follow it up with a week in the spring. Your next season will thank you immensely.

Lpskier

• Baller

Airfare, lodging and expense are associated with coaching in FL. I would argue there is a good bit of MN talent (and apparent willingness) to work with you for nothing more than contribution toward gas expense. As a guy looking to improve open water and get into course skiing you could do worse than a bunch of dudes that ski fairly short lines who have had pro coaching.

• Baller

@6balls TOTALLY AGREE! Get water time at home with guys that know their stuff. Then treat yourself to a day clinic somewhere on a private lake.

KEYS TO IMPROVING:

1. Time on the water

2. Skiing with people better than you

3. Good equipment/boat

4. Understanding wife OR one that skis too!

Put the above into action and you will meet that goal of skiing the course at a decent line length!

• Baller

@"Jack Kinne" Thank you for the invite, I will definitely take you up on that!

@lpskier I would love to go back and see Wade for a couple weeks, and I have no doubt he would whip me into shape, but I'd like to see where I can get to with local help.

My wife will be pretty understanding until I end up getting a second boat just a ski tug. That will cause some friction. Who knows though, maybe I can get her more fired up about skiing than she is now (she does know how to slalom ski, and I think she kind of enjoys it, although early mornings/cold water are not her thing. That's why I have @dtm8119 :smile: )

get your wife a Camaro wetsuit for her birthday and she'll like the cold water much more.

I think when you crunch the numbers you'll find the two boat system to be more practical and cost effective than is seems at first. You can get a TSC 1 hull slalom tug on a "trial basis" for 2 yrs and sell it for about what you pay for it if the two boat system isn't working out. You'll be out a lot less than if you trade your 211 for 200 but then decide you want to go back to a surf boat.