Ski League Mobile

santangelo

• Baller

With the discussion of the ‘beer’ leagues, I thought I’d offer up this mobile web application I built about 3 years ago. The screen layout is optimized for mobile devices but will function on a standard browser.

The premise was to build an app that allowed skiers to compete against each other in a handicapped fashion. It doesn’t restrict you from competing straight up, but the ‘default’ structure is handicapped. Future releases planned to allow various competing formats.

An ideal use case for this would be a group a people that ski together on a regular basis and want to compete against each other during a typical practice session where you ski up the rope. The app keeps track of the scores and placement until completed.

Currently leagues are configurable by:

- start date

- end date

- # of scores per skier

- skiers in league

- (future option would allow by league type (ie. handicapped, no handicap, team based, etc)

You can also add a note during league creation that will go to your ski league members in an email with the invitation. Let them know any specific details…such as how much $$$,beer,etc. that’s on the line.

Anyone can create a league that is in the system, so if you create an account you may get invited to a league in which case you’ll receive an email stating as such and it will show up on your list. Future releases would be more of a ‘Facebook’ type setup where you have to be ‘invited’ to be seen by other skiers to select and be added to their league.

During the registration process, I request users AWSA membership number. This allows the league creator to easily access the skiers 12 month rolling average which will be used for the handicapping process (USAWS does not offer a web service to retrieve this info). If you don’t have a number, you’ll have to make one up as it’s a required field. After registration, you’ll receive an email that will require you to click on a link to ‘activate’ the account which ensures the email account you signed up with is accurate.

Use/play with it as you like with. There’s an ‘email Feedback’ link on the homepage to provide suggestions to improve. I don’t know if I will continue to develop this, but if someone does, I can provide them your feedback for a better application.

http://skileague.paulsantangelo.com/

Below are some sample screenshots.

xvbljqjvxfky.png

hwyexrmf53wr.png

5jhadxaah516.png