What is the difference between $50 rope/handle and $200 rope/handle?

TallSkinnyGuy

• Baller

My current handle is getting quite worn and the line has some fraying in spots, so I am past due to get a new one. I think my current rope/handle is a Proline I probably bought from Overton's and I probably spent around $50 for it. Most people on this site seem to use Masterline or In Tow, which is going to cost over $200 for a new rope and handle.

I'm a 15-offer struggling to get consistent at 30 mph in the course. Is there any reason the $50 rope/handle is not enough for me? That is, if the main difference between the $50 set and the $200 set is that the $200 set is "accurate" enough to be used in tournaments, that does not justify the extra cost for me. If the more costly set will last four times as long and/or provide some other benefit that I can actually appreciate at my level, then the more expensive set can be justified.

So what is the difference between the <$60 rope/handle combos from Proline, HO and Radar that can be purchased from Overton's and the top-of-the-line ropes and handles from Masterline and In Tow?

• Baller

The simple answer is handmade in America vs off shore. I would say you will get a handle/rope that will be closer to tolerance and will stay in tolerance over along period of time with ML or IT.

Depending on how much you ski the rule of thumb is replacing your rope/handle every year or two.

Into and ML are supporters of the site and most of us try and support them.

• Administrators

For me the difference is the quality of the materials and the craftsmanship. I see $50 versions fall apart and or break whereas I rarely if ever see the top quality stuff fall apart.

The less expensive handles are often crooked and the grip is nowhere near the same. You can get by with a cheap handle but if you can afford it you should step up.

• Baller
I've seen what happens when someone tries to be too cheap and save a few bucks... it's not pretty. Cheap stuff won't last and when it's done, it's over quickly. It's your body, do what you want, but like others have said, stick with InTow (my personal choice) or ML. Also, taking care of you rope/handle will help it last longer whereas cheap is cheap and nothing helps until it breaks.

• Baller
Here is what I know: Masterline products not only lead the way in innovation, craftsmanship, and quality, design and style, they are built right here in Winter Garden, FL, by good American skiers who then convert $$ to gas and go innovate some more... you get it?? This is how the evolution occurs, why not support it and keep it going

• Baller

I've seen advice given many times on this forum to skiers saying if you are not skiing into deep shortline you don't need to pay the price for a high end ski. Is the Senate Alloy considered "cheap" (as in less costly due to lower quality) because it is less expensive than the Vapor? I don't think buying a Senate Alloy if it is all that is needed for my level of skiing would be considered being cheap and just trying to save a few bucks.

If the only benefit of a high end handle/rope is that it will be/stay closer to "tolerance" then this is not a valued benefit to someone at my level. I can buy a $50 rope/handle combo and support BOS advertisers (HO and Radar), so that is not really an issue.

I don't think anyone on this forum would advise me to purchase a high-end ski at my level when an intermediate-level ski would work just fine for my needs. My original question was to get guidance regarding if this type of advice is also relevant with ropes/handles or if there is some relevant benefit from a high-end rope/handle set that I would not get from a $50 set.

If the $200 set will last substantially longer, help me ski better or be significantly safer, then those are benefits I can appreciate. If I would not get any significant benefit from a high-end rope/handle then I would consider it prudent (as opposed to "cheap") to pay substantially less for a lower-end product (from a BOS advertiser, of course) that would meet my current needs.

• Baller

@Jody_Seal My bad, I should not have mentioned Overton's I guess. Please disregard that reference and note that Performance has $50 handle/rope combos from HO, Radar and Accurate along with some less costly sets from Masterline.

I'm not looking for a less costly rope/handle as much as I am trying to understand if I would get any value out of a high-end rope/handle.

• Baller
Cheaper rope will stretch more making it tougher to ski. Cheaper rubber handle will make it harder to hold on and wear more quickly. If you invest let's say 25k into a boat, 1-2k into a ski, vest and gloves and save $25/year on a cheaper rope and ski like crap all year with a rubber band and a slippery handle just doesn't make sense.

• Baller

Straightline donated a few ropes a couples years ago for our nationals, couple guys were skiing on them the week before to "stretch them" and were killing it in the course, so pumped about their skiing...then they were measured, not one was in tolerance, all were out by a LARGE margin...

Masterline ropes were used and nothing else since...

As @drew said, Russell/Masterline has created a highly crafted unbeatable quality product and is always innovating...how many other rope companies send out "prototype" ropes for testing, messing with weaves, strands and everything else in between to give the best feel, quality and safety to skiers...a rope isn't just a rope and Masterline by far is the most innovative and highest quality rope company (and Quantum trick skis, gloves, bags etc...) with incredible customer service to top it off. If they don't have it made, usually they will make it on the spot or worst by next day and genuinely truly feel bad because they can't accommodate you instantly...and pretty sure all current WR's are with Masterline products in Slalom, Trick and Jump including Freddy's monster ski fly jump

• Baller
I buy 99.9% of my ski stuff from Performance (they don't carry my palm liners). Good company, great people, local. I'm at the same level as you, same ski. I did buy a quality Masterline handle bc they had the size I wanted. But I opted for 2 sets of Performance store branded ropes. I'm sorry y'all, and Bill, but those ropes are terrible. I mean they get the job done but the memory in it drives me insane and coils up like crap. My buddy's Masterline doesn't do that.

• Baller
I've been using a US gear radius 13" radius bent handle. Unfortunately don't think I can get another one. I'll be buying a ML radius handle. Whatever it cost I'll pay it because I haven't had a blister on the side of my finger since. Just for that its worth every penny. As far as ropes its just not worth taking a chances of getting hurt. I have a straight line I take out to the public lakes it seems ok. I take my own ML rope everywhere I ski, I got hurt once from someone else old cheap rope. Not going to let it happen again.

• Baller

I am a light guy and only ski 1-3 times a week and I never noticed any ware on my cheap AirHead handle that I was using for 10 years prior to this season.

I did get a Masterline rope once I got into the course 7 years ago. I now have a Masterline rope and handle. I have used the same Masterline rope for 5 years and it still measures within tolerances.

Personally, unless you are hard on your gear or running lots of passes I think your money is better spent else ware. With that said, if your gear does need replacing I would get a Masterline handle and rope. Otherwise keep using what you have until it warrants replacing.

• Baller

Just my opinion... When I was barely skiing into 28off, I couldn't tell a difference between a high quality rope and a cheap $25 rope. As I run 32off more frequently and start getting deeper into 35off, I do notice that the rope plays a bigger role and I can definitely tell the difference.

Bottom line for me...below 28off, I think the extra $175 in ropes is better spent on lessons and maybe upgraded ski/bindings if they're more than a few years old. Everyone agrees handles are personal preference. Some expensive ones don't even last a season and some cheap ones seem to last forever but, in general, more expensive handles do have nicer rubber that is much more grippy and makes life on the water more enjoyable.

• Baller
With regards to slalom course skiing, the difference is $150.00 and a much greater possibility of injury with the $50.00 rope/handle. $150.00 is cheap insurance from my point of view. The $50.00 items should be ok for low energy recreational skiing.

• Baller_
The big expense for a superior handle is partially offset by its durability. When the rope wears out, you can always get it restrung. Masterline charges something ridiculous like $20 to restring a handle. If you use a straight handle (I use a radius) you can turn the handle over when the wear gets too great on one side. A good straight handle could be restrung annually and hold up well for four years or more. I use In Tow handles with spectra and I use Kevlar gloves. I easily get two long seasons out of a handle.

Lpskier

• Baller

Masterline ropes and handles last longer, by a considerable margin. Their white 8 loop rope can be had for under $60. I learned the hard way, never again!

Straight line accurate proline, radar, etc are all way sub quality to masterline. I've used them all. Never intow, which would be the only other I'd look at based on comments here.

• Baller

@TallSkinnyGuy

I ski close to your ski level (30, 32 and 34 @15 off. Do only shorten occasionally just for fun)

Have a cheep handle and a ML Team Monster handle (type when 70 USD on sale).

The main difference seems to be better grip thanks to thicker rubber (that requires stronger AL pipe).

The main advantage with a ML rope compared to cheap ropes is that it is easier to handle when not skiing.

I would assume one can order a Intow/ML with only one/two shortenings (all one will need for quite some time)

So my recommendation would be to go for a decent handle and a cheaper rope.

• Baller

Cheap stuff wears faster.

If you buy 150$ handle, in one year you will have 100$ worth quality handle.

If you buy 50$ (i mean recomended retail price, not sale price) handle you will have 10$ worth handle in few weeks.

Besides many amateurs buy quality equipment not because they are going to get all 100% of its capacity, but simply because hi-end equipment pushes us further to our persomal limits.

by the way my pic. is result of brocken handle ))

• Baller

I broke a fairly new straight line handle once (I'm about 160 so don't think it can't happen because you are light). Not pleasant (they did replace, so I'll give them that). Breaking a cheap rope or handle will ruin your day.

In tow lasts longer and doesn't break. We wear the rubber off the handle before the rope on the handle wears out. If you are skiing much, you will wear out a cheap handle much faster. If you start replacing the cheap handle 3x as often, your economy goes out the window pretty fast.

In addition, custom sizing is great.

• Supporting Member

I'm gonna be against the tide here. I can't advise a 15 off skier to buy a high end rope. You want to buy a quality rope, like the brand names you've mentioned. But you simply don't need the increased quality, durability, and accuracy of a high end rope.

Some day you will!!

@Waternut nailed it: Spend the difference on coaching.

• Baller
Kinda off the subject, but to confirm what others said.....StraightLine quality is nowhere what it was 20 years ago. I won't buy anything with their name on it. I sure wish someone would make the original Straight Line Ultra Vest though. I've still got a couple of them that are 12-13 years old. Getting a little ragged looking, but still usable. I did say 12-13 years!

• Baller

@Than_Bogan yes, Quality Equipment is more correct definition than hi end equipment.

But higher quality often means higher price, isn't it?

Im an amateur skier, but once had a nasty fall because of broken handle, that was visibly okay.

After that I bought a quality handle and closed this question for me.

Using cheap stuff your safety is always under a sword of Damocles.

• Baller

Short answer Made in USA, quality materials, handmade, liability insurance and tournament supporter. Just listen to SL's own words in video posted by @Mastercraft81SnS: http://www.slsports.com/ski-lecombo.html and specifically at :25 where he says "instead of cutting and measuring and stretching again, it's just constructed so it's not tournament rated." Wow, I can't imagine making any product without measuring. The size of this rope also measures out to the size rope of our Junior Mid Rope. We don't guess at the line lengths when making our ropes. I'll give more detail on our construction later. Review @jayski review of their supposed top end tournament ropes that are supposedly measured and stretched which were all out of tolerance by a large margin.

@TallSkinnyGuy we make all price points of ropes and handles. Give us a call at 1-800-889-9883 and we can help you find the right rope and handle for you at your price point and it will even be measured.

• Baller

Like @Kelvin and @mlusa said, ML makes less expensive models at still extreme high quality. You and I don't need an 11 section rope, but its an absolute that you need a safe one. When i was skiing -15 @ 30 i was skiing very heavy on the handle. I actually think im lighter on it now at 34 than i was. You aren't saving money when your rope/handle fails and you're in the ER (my Saturday morning handle break).

If it looks worn, don't use it.

I agree with @aupatking, you can still buy ML without spending $200. We're not shoreline skiers, but still ski 3-5 times a week. I think we have an 8 section line made with the same materials as the 11 section. I've also had the most expensive ML handle, it has lasted 6 seasons. The grip is getting pretty worn, so I'll get a new one for next season. Prior to this I was going though a Straightline or Accurate handle each year.