Florida Ski Schools... your opinions

PhilSymo

I am heading over to Saudi Arabia for some work... and when I get back I want to treat myself to a 5 day Waterski School around May time...

Has any one got any ideas of where in Florida to go? any reconsiderations?

I ski down to 4@13M (32 off) 55Kph.

will be obviously flying a hell of a long way so want to get as many opinions and thoughts as possible so I can get the booking made and have something to look forward to when I am there!

• Baller
I personally like Matt Rini and Chet Raley for coaching, but in fairness, there are great ski schools all over Florida. Matt is in the Orlando area if you're interested in doing other activities (like theme parks). There are many others in that area like Jodi Fisher, Drew Ross, the Brooks brothers, etc. Chet is in the West Palm Beach area. I'm sure you will be able to find one that meets your needs as other people chime in here.

• Baller

I have skied at Travers which was a great experience for me. I got some great coaching and really enjoyed it. I have also skied a few sets with Lucky which was great as well.

If you do more than slalom it may change where you want to go. There are a ton of great sites in FL depending on what you are looking for.

• Baller
I've been to Matt rini twice and 2 or 3 times to Jodi Fishers. I've never met Jodi, I've always been coached by Logan at Jodis. I feel I've gotten much better feedback at Jodi's rather Matt Rinis. Not to discredit Matt Rini, I was happy there but at my beginner level in the course, jodi's was more informative. If you have access to a Go Pro, bring it along.

• Baller
There are many good ski schools in the Orlando area. Like someone said, it may depend on your personality. I've had much experience with Jack's, Brooks Wilson and Drew Ross. All are excellent for different reasons and offer great coaching. Jack's offers a camp experience, housing/boarding great food, excellent coaching by Jon, Chris, Jack and Natalia and a very good site. The Wilson's are also excellent coaches and super nice guys. If you don't need housing or transportation, I find it hard to beat the experience of skiing at Drew's. Excellent slalom and trick coach (most don't realize how good a trick coach he is) and the nicest ski site in Florida and great location.

• Baller
Try and choose a ski school where you are going to get consistent coaching, I went to one place and it really worked well same coaching all the time, went back a second time , dofferent boat driver, different coach, different lake on most days, now that didn,t work so well, so I ended up bailong out and skiing with someone else, it,s a shame I didn,t choose them to start with.

• Baller
I'll chime in, this past spring we rented a large vacation house right on the lake at swiss waterski resort. Being able to sit in our hot tub to and see people skiing all day was really cool to that site. Coaching was great and I think it's one of the more reasonably priced schools per set. Kind of in the middle of nowhere, but a 45 minute jaunt down to downtown disney kept the wives happy :) .

AMAZING comments Guys thanks so much,

LOVE the comments on personality, but it would be VERY hard to gauge that without meeting them first, wouldn't it?

We have recently had Jodi over to Cyprus for some coaching and he was great, and I know a very good watersking friend goes there (recently ran 3@41 in Tourny ;) )

Slalom Only I am afraid, I can only do a few tricks and have not jumped in almost 3 years!

Also if Accom and food an option that would help, but not a deal breaker.

Also I am Ex-armed Forces (RAF) and wondered if any did Veteran Discounts?

Thanks EVERYONE again!!

Phil

• Baller
Hey Phil/All, People often ask us in the shop about "what ski school do you recommend...and I'll suggest what I tell them. Do you homework....pick up the phone and call the school who you are wanting to ski with. Ask who will be coaching you and ideally speak to them directly. Where you are at, what type of skiing / instruction you are looking for, what you'd like to accomplish and what they can offer you....and then what they have to offer you facility wise. There are so many amazing coaches here in the Orlando area, but also there are alot of great things to do. Ultimately its about your ability to relate to the coach you choose and comfort at the facility they have to work with you, the boats they use and your equipment. There is good advice here...but do you own homework....it will be worth it. And great thing this time of year, you don't have to lock yourself down with one school / coach. You can ski with more than one...or settle in with one you like. You have lots of options. Matt Rini, Jack Travers, The Wilson Brothers, Drew Ross, Jodi Fisher, Franz Oberleitner, Kris Lapoint, Rhoni Barton, Wade Cox, Lucky Lowe, Franck Desboyaux, Swiss Ski School, Phil Hughes, and more that I'm surely forgetting with my first cup of coffee. Its like us "Floridians" planning a snow ski trip...talk to friends, call yourself, and find what works best for you. Equipment wise, demo wise....we are here to help as needed. Good luck with your search and we hope to see you soon. Bill & the crew at Performance!

• Baller

I usually ski with Matt Rini who is great. I tried out Brooks Wilson at the boarding school once last winter to try the new Prostar and he was also amazing. Matt is probably more technical as a coach while Brooks seemed to be able relate to his skiers in a more basic way without getting as technical but still getting great results. Both are super nice guys and I am sure you would be happy with either.

Matts lake is really close to Disney and the airport. The boarding school is a bit more of a drive but the conditions are super.

Have fun!

• Baller
Or three lakes , one driver , one coach. I also recomend Brooks Wilson and The Boarding School. Awesome coach and very nice set up. Share a large house , or get the private apartment. Halfway between Orlando and Kennedy Space Center , and right next to the Orlando Wetlands Park if you're into nature. I spent a few months nearby for work , and @brooks always made time for sets around my wacky work schedule. Glad people on this sight recommended this place to me. Thanks !

I'm fortunate enough to live in the Orlando area and have been able to ski with Matt Rini on several occasions over the past year. His style of coaching resonates with me because he is able to simplify things so well. There are many great options, I'm a fan of picking 1 coach so you get consistent feedback.

• Baller
I think you're better off every once and a while to try and see what multiple coaches have to say. If they all seem to be hitting on the same thing then it could be huge. I wouldn't want to go to a one coach and get the tip of the week that they are telling every skier that comes off the dock. I've seen that happen.

• Baller

Although I have never been in a school in Florida nobody mentioned the most important (in my opinion) aspect in getting a good coaching. Is the "coach" also the driver and watches you through the mirror or by turning his head while driving or sits next to the driver and has the full view and understanding of your skiing.

• Baller
My suggestion is Orlando in general. Jodi Fishers is a pretty protected place for the spring, when most places are blown out, Jodis will be calm. He is great a setting you with a solid foundation that will allow you to build upon it all season. And since you were RAF, I know he always like seeing fellow Brits. If you do decide on him, let him know I steered you in that direction. Good luck in the decision and have fun in the desert over the winter.

@Triplett thanks buddy, Jodi was over here(Cyprus) recently... so yea, it would work... still deciding had a great Chat with @brooks and Natalia Berdnikava about their respective places. So its all coming together slowly, and I will have to Finish my Week of with a "tribute" ski at the Mapple site, I would feel like I was cheating myself if I was in that area of the world and didn't pay my respects in some way.

Thanks to EVERYBODY who has chipped in on this. REALLY appropriated from the other side of the Globe!