Radars version of the R-style ?

Fehlindra

I wouldn't use anything bindings with laces. Getting the same tension in your boots is critical to consistency. Laces will never be in the same place each set. Also, laces break at the worst time and I've never had a buckle break.

• Baller

I think you could say a standard RTP is geared to recreation AND tournament markets, no?

This would be a step up from the RTP, and if it keeps my heel from sliding sideways, I am interested! Could make deepwater starts easier if I can drag, then lock my heel in. I like up and down, but not sideways movement of my rear heel.

• Baller

@A_B the RTPs designed for the recreational market are quite different from the RTPs geared to the tournament market..

this hybrid boot is designed around the vector feather frame boot, so not a tournament binding. Still a good idea none the less that many skiers can benefit from.

• Baller
I have a higher-end Radar RTP, that I didn't get around to trying this summer, and my friend has the lace up style, which might be what you call the recreational version. He has tied it up and locked in place, and uses without any issues. It has held up considerably longer than the Goode RTP (which is also an Obrien I think). He use to go through at least one every season.

• Baller
Skied the new HRT rear boot yesterday like the ankle flex but being in a reflex front and a willey 3/4 boot for years the lateral stiffness was to much I could not even run my opener. This rear boot would be great for someone coming out of and hybrid or rear hard shell. I will play with it some more in the spring.

• Baller

Its funny how a change in bindings can cause such drastic results on skiing.

I experienced a similar challenge when going from my Strada front to a new Vapor front. Can only imagine if I switched the back one as well.

Only emphasizes that you should use your familiar bindings on a new ski to see what is happening just from the ski.

• Baller
Do you think this would be a good option to go for if i wanted to go from a double strada set up to the new Supershell? I am not convinced that i can get the rear strada boot close enough to the front supershell because of the release mechanism...

• Baller
Might be but if you are a double boot person already a rear Wiley might be better. You should be able to get that close and would provide more support than it looks like this would. I think the Reflex R Style has the toe cut off also to allow it to get close.

• Baller

This might be a good option for me. The R style shell cut into my oddly placed ankle bone so I finally got tired of jacking with it and went back to a rubber rear.

The description shows that gawdawful color, as well as black/silver. But when I went to order, they didn't give a color choice. So I'll have to call them. I don't care how good it might be, that neon color isn't going on my ski.

• Baller
@gregy - yes, I skied 2 sets with it last weekend. I like to drag a foot on the deep water start and then kick in, which is the main reason I am interested in this system. Worked great! First set I had the laces a little tight and it did take a little effort to get in, but after I loosened them up a bit, no problem kicking in. I am a size 11 and it fit great. I don't think you would have any problem with a 13, as the laces are completely adjustable and it has plenty of footbed to accommodate a 13. I am coming off a double hard shell system. Have spent a little time using the R-style. This is definitely a hybrid between a rear toe and a rear boot. Great support side to side and frees you up completely front to back. In fact, my biggest problem was mentally pushing my hips forward far enough to weight the front of the ski on my offside turn. It is amazing how much levrage a rear boot provides, but also restricts that center of mass movement. Just going to take some time to get used to. Going to give it another try this weekend. Still early here in Utah, so we are taking it slow.

• Baller

I tried the HRT today, comfortable for my size 10.5 foot. Moving away from double hard shell boots will take some getting use to! But deep water starts were easier on my aging back with both feet in, though I had a hard time trying to kick in after one foot in starts. Ran some passes though and will give it at least a few more sets to get accustomed to it.

yutd7tznzvn6.jpeg

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller
@Chef23 I found it difficult to kick in after getting up with one foot in, but not impossible. What I did find is that I could get up with both feet in without the strain I was having with double hard shell boots. Seems that the HRT boot allows my heel to come up and I have less lateral interference on the pull up.

Mike's Overall Binding

Interesting. I just ordered a graphite senate with front vector and HRT for my girlfriend. Hopefully she will ski on it this weekend. Her old setup is a P-6 with Prime front and a standard RTP. Since she is so new it will be interesting to see how she adjusts.

I recently purchased the HRT. Was using a D3 T-factor with Wiley rear. Double boot user since 8th grade, and I am 44 now. Was looking to try something with a the ability to move/lift heel a bit, especially with my limited back-ankle flexibility (2 breaks, unrelated to skiing) and hopefully allowing me to be more balanced over the ski, as I can be notorious for settling in on the back of my ski as I move through the course. Still have the front D3. A few points...

1. Was a much easier of a transition than expected, as it took only a few sets to get used to.

2. I ended up having to remove the HRT from the actual plate and move it up a set of holes to get closer to the back binding, so the binding pad actually presses against the front boot now, but there is still a gap between the front boot and my toes. I am a size 9.5 shoe.

3. I cannot comment on the kicking in, as I still get up with both feet in.

4. I like the configuration, as I feel I am able to get a better stance (taller) at the start of the pass, and also I seem to transition to a better stance with better weight distribution during the pass (but I have to remember to do this).

5. I am keeping this set up, or said another way, I really like it.

6. One thing to note, I have not crashed yet using this set up, so I cannot comment on the release.

• Baller
@StevePops I agree with everything @jp said, but I found it difficult to kick in easily, so I went to a cut down half hardshell rear. But the HRT remains as a backup and to test skis.

Mike's Overall Binding

• Baller
Thanks for the input @mmosley899 and @jp. I use RTP, and have done so the last 30 years. Get the feeling sometimes that the foot is going to slip out of the RTP when in the course. That feeling is a consequence of not getting the foot deep enough in to the RTP. Thought that a HRT maybe could solve both problems.