Which ZO Settings Are Actually Used (I don't use Plus)?

ToddL

• Baller
If you use ZO and do not use a Plus setting, please select below. If you use a Plus setting see the other survey. The poll solution on BOS only allows for 10 answer choices, ZO provides 18 options with plus.

• Baller_
I would caution reading anything into this poll other then..well that's interesting. When ZO came out I was told many times that I needed to ski ______ setting because _____. I ended up choosing a setting that made my skiing feel the best. I went through all the settings and landed on one that was not suggested by anyone. Now this may change with the ski I am on as its very different from the previous. But most likely will try them all again till I get that Ah-Ha moment and not go with the suggestion of others or which seems to be the flavor of the month.. But I am interested to see which lands on top.

• Baller
This looks like B2 because no one has time to test them all. Personally settled on C before the 1,2,3 then was C2 because it was the middle. Last year went down to C1 because it felt better. Just as an aside, there are a good number of people who change setting by boat.

• Baller

I went to C1 several years ago to force me to break my bad habit of pulling off the ball. The C settings would really punish you for doing so. It worked, and I don't pull off the ball so much anymore. I stayed at C1 because I like the early acceleration which helps lead to an early edge change.

• Baller

The "PLUS" setting survey is up now.

Here's my thought... If after these surveys have been up for a while, we see that there are some clear laggard settings that are not being used - what can we surmise from that? Do those settings have anything in common, etc. ? We won't really know until we get some results.

Yes - I know many people choose a different setting by boat. I wish the Poll feature allowed users to check multiple values. Maybe this is a survey better built on Survey Monkey - all 18 settings listed and each respondent can check any that they use on a regular basis.

My curiosity is if there is any opportunity to simply ZO settings. Kind of the opposite of the direction of the asymmetrical ZO thread.

• Baller_
I skied C3 for several years, then switched to B3. I found with the B setting I could build more angle before getting the power of the boat. When I got my Connelly GT this season, it took so much angle that I had to switch to B1 to be able to hold on.

Lpskier

• Baller
@LeonL - not sure about other boats, but my 2009 SN Limited will default to B3 if I shut the master power off (which I do because the Limited version of the boat slowly drains power if you leave the master switch on for a few days between use). I don't know if the LINC boats do this or not but I'll ask Becky tonight when we ski.

• Baller

For all the B2 skiers there should be another poll

I ski B2 because:

1. I've tried all the settings and this is the one I like the best.

2. I've never asked for a different setting and this is the one the driver gives me.

3. I tried it first and it feels OK so I haven't tried any other settings.

4. Its the default and I don't have time/desire to experiment.

• Baller
Honestly the first year anyone has consistent access to ZO they should never use a 1/3 setting and should simply try and find the letter they like. Once you have that you can pick a number but the letter is more important I think. I know immediately at a tournament if I forgot to give the driver my setting because it's usually on a B setting and I've skied various C settings for years.

• Supporting Member

More related to the reason behind this poll than the poll itself:

If it came down to my vote as to whether to force every skier to use (for example) C3, I would vote for that even though I use B1 and I hate C3. I feel that strongly about completely getting rid of these parameters. Eventually, I'd learn how to ski with whatever the control system's behavior was.

Of course, I think a much more sane proposal would be to get rid of the parameters and make it always be B2, because then nobody would be moving more than 1 letter and/or 1 number from their current setting.

• Baller

654lnmgkpapj.png

ikuqew4i87wx.png

117 votes across both polls so far.

The least voted settings are:

B1+ 0 votes

C1+ 0 votes

A1+ 1 vote

A2+ 1 vote

A3+ 1 vote

B3+ 1 vote

C3+ 1 vote

The Top voted settings are:

B2 33 votes

C1 24 votes

C2 13 votes

A2 10 votes

B1 9 votes

• Baller

Earlier this season I tried several different settings, same day, same conditions, same rope length (-28). Interesting; I normally ski B1, told driver go to A1. During the pass I thought "Oh ya, I can tell it's coming on a bit later, feels good, maybe I'll change to A and it will make me more patient". Got to the end of the lake and driver (my smart-ass kid) told me "that was C1"... Hmmm. Then I skied a bunch more passes with random settings, and tried to guess what they were after the pass. I never got it right. Just sayin'.

Maybe more noticeable with less rope? Heading to AZ this weekend will try some different settings at -35 and report back.

• Baller
@AKShortline You may not have been able to tell which it was, but could you tell there was a change? That they felt different? Wouldn't put it past Carter to leave it on C1 the whole time and just tell you he was changing it.