Focus on makeable passes or hardest pass?

TallSkinnyGuy

• Baller

I just started skiing a course regularly a couple months ago. I struggled to make -15/28mph at first but now make the majority of my -15/30mph passes. I have successfully run -15/32mph (last week) and yesterday just missed 6 ball by a couple feet a number of times. My question is regarding where I should focus my passes.

I feel like when I am trying to run my 32mph passes I am struggling with the pass so much that I have trouble thinking about proper technique. The 30mph passes are easy enough for me that I can really think about technique as I am going through the pass. I am thinking this means I should spend most of my time at 30mph and getting the technique more dialed so that the pass is super easy for me, then maybe try just one 32mph pass each set. Is this a good thing to do?

• Baller
Okay, that definitely makes sense to me. Yesterday I kept trying to get my hardest pass and started feeling like I wasn't making progress but rather just constantly struggling to make it to the next ball without the time to think about the technique I am trying to develop. I also had one of my harder falls and started thinking, "this is probably not the best way to go about developing my skills."

• Baller

I first read @Horton thread on Volume vs Intensity last year. It was always in my head, but seemed like all my buddies that I skied with on the river wanted me to shorten every time. I decided to actually follow my desire to run VOLUME this summer and avoid the peer preasure to run a PB every set.

My suggestion is to run a TON of buoys at line lengths and speeds that are achievable every time with GREAT TECHNIQUE. It does no good to bang your head against the wall trying to run your almost or true hardest passes. In your case, if you can comfortably start at 28 MPH, I would run 2 passes at 28 MPH and then 4 passes at 30 MPH. If you can ski every day, I would do that 2 sets a day for 4 days in a row. On Day 5, run down the speeds to failure and go 28 MPH, 30 MPH, 32 MPH (if you run it go to 34 MPH, if not drop back to 32 MPH) and finish out the set with your last successful rope length (likely 30 MPH?) and run MORE buoys. On Day 6, I would ski 2 sets of 2 passes at 28 MPH, and 4 Passes at 30 MPH. On Day 7, I would NOT SKI AT ALL! REST!

This summer I spent about 90% of my practice time at 32' Off working on finishing my offside turn. I really only ran 35' Off in tournaments (And a few days where I ran it 28, 32, and four 35's). I think I ran 38 in practice about 4 times and tried it about 8 times total. VOLUME netted me running 38' Off in 3 different tournaments this season, way more buoys at 38 than last season, and a new PB of 2@39.5' Off. I am a firm believer in practicing a line length that is achievable with GREAT Technique. Next thing you know, that achievable pass moves up to the next line length or speed.

Stick with VOLUME and it will net higher buoy counts. Use intensity infrequently.

• Baller
@GOODESkier if I could ski six days in a row I would definitely use the God method and rest on the seventh day, but I only get to use that method for work. However, I appreciate your specific prescription and just need to adapt it to my frequency of skiing (once or twice a week free skiing and once or twice a week in the course). I'm glad the volume method worked well for you -- I suspect it will for me, too, so I appreciate the encouragement.

• Baller

@TallSkinnyGuy I am like you because I started slalom last year and I ski on open lake and I cannot have a regular ski set because of conditions (wind, boats etc...). So this year I focus only to volume at 30mph. One pass at 28mph and the rest at 30mph and if I could ski 2x in one week I would finish a set with only one pass at 32mph just to get the feeling for the gate and then the rest.

I went to a tournement (my first one) and I ran 6 at 32mph and I just got 1 at 34mph and I discover that skiing on a hand made lake is easyer too. What I want to say is when you can ski with not too much pressure and really focus on your technique and feelin GOOD about yourself, that is how it works for me and I insist feeling good about your skiing and not geting depressed because slalom is a long process.

Good luck to you my friend