how does the ski manufactures set the min and max weight on the ski length?

Fehlindra

• Baller
I'm on the pink Vapor 66 i think its little softer flex and I'm 170 ibs and the ski is this range 125-180 i experience that the ski i so slow and drag to much for me i don't get any speed on it i think that the 180 ibs max range is meant to be for 36 mph I'm an 34 and not into deep shortline , i think D3 have different max and min weight for different speeds! all of you talk so much good about the new 16 Vapor so i cant resist to not buy one but now to the thingy i don't like the the mens ski graphics (black/red) i found it very dull and looks like it have the same lacklustre paint job as the T2 i know its intendedly the women's is quite nice not as nice as my 15 whitney. i need an 67 but don't know if there are any 16 women's ski in 67 ? and don't know anything about it how much or if it differ from the males in flex or other things if there are softer flex maybe it slows the ski down and drag pls help me out wuygy29bl523.jpg

• Supporting Member

Well, I have some insight into how Denali is determining the recommended ranges:

Get some skiers of various weights and ability levels.

Have them try different lengths and/or flexes.

Write down which ones they liked.

As far as your Vapor feeling doggy, my first guess would be binding position and/or fin adjustment should be able to cure that. I've never skied a Vapor, but an awful lot of people are in love with the '16, so I doubt it can be inherently sluggish!

• Baller
Not to sound silly...... but are you buying a ski cause it skis well or looks well? I get it that looks are important, but could you look past the appearance if the ski skied well? I know I would ski on a baby poop colored anything if it ran me deeper down my hardiest pass!

• Baller
I bought it new, and yes it might been an wrong decision to select ski after its appearance but i rly liked it and every time when i remove the ski from the ski-case i almost smile a bit. Ofc i wanna progress so i cant buy another ski that doesn't fit me! i have tested bindings pos and a lot of fin and even removed wing but its rly "draggy" maybe if i was skiing 36mph at short line length not my 22off 34

• Baller
I'm 170lb right now the heaviest I usually get is 185. I'm on a 15 67" blue Vapor. I'm 6'2" though. Ski seems about right for me. The original factory setting I had had the bindings more forward. It was skiing good until the water became hot and it seemed like I was really working hard to get width. When I looked at the newer factory settings the bindings position was about a 1/2 further back. Move my bindings back and the ski cast out much better. Width became easy.

• Baller
Radar makes the Anodized Orchid graphic in a 67 inch for ladies in 2015. So my assumption is that they'll have ladies 67 for 2016, also. I do know they're popping out runs of skis as fast as possible so it may be that ladies 67s haven't made it to distribution yet. If they don't, you might talk to Chris Sullivan or Eddie Roberts. Sully has built me a ski with a different graphic before because I didn't like the graphic that Radar had for that particular model.

• Baller

2014 66" on the pink ski meant for women had a max weight of 170lbs. 66" for the men had a max weight of 180lbs. Could be that one is meant for 34mph and the other is meant for 36mph but either way, if you're on the upper limit of the weight, the ski won't be ideal. You've got double boots and if you wear a heavy lifejacket, you're probably even over the ideal weight.

http://www.rideradarronix.com/2014_radar_brochure/

To help counter your weight, you can try moving the bindings back a little but either way, you should verify the fin settings. I seriously doubt the previous owner/owners beat the life out of the ski. It's either a weight issue, fin/binding issue, or you've altered your technique in such a way for a previous ski that doesn't work on the newer ski's.