Camaro Blacktec 5.0

ajgear

Anyone have experience with the Camaro Blacktec 5.0 full wetsuit? I've seen nothing but rave reviews of the Blacktec 2.0, but not much on the 5.0. Is that just because the 2.0 is so warm that it obviates the need for the 5.0? I'm cycling out my ancient Henderson 3/5mm and even older, and severely haggard, O'Neil 3mm. We don't ski ice-out on our lake, because it's part of the Wisconsin River, and as soon as ice goes out, all of the chaff (branches, trees, stumps, etc) flows downstream to us, making skiing extremely hazardous for the first few weeks. But we will ski in 40-45 degree water early and late season. I am assuming that if the 2.0 is as warm as people say, the 5.0 would be overkill for anything but water that's on the verge of being solid. Just wondering if anyone has actually used a 5.0. Conversely, how cold has anyone taken the 2.0? Would it be livable for 45 degree water?

My wife and I have skied in our 2mm titanium Camaros down to 43 degree water a couple times. Its not terrible, but I was ready to get out after 5 or 6 passes. We have a hot tube about 30 feet from the lake, so that makes it more bearable too. We picked up a couple of the 3mm suits to try this winter. They advertise them as a semi dry suit and they seem really flexible......we'll see?

• Baller
I haven't tried the 5mm, but I've skied in my 2mm in water down to the low 50's. I was a bit chilled afterwards but not too bad. The bigger issue in my mind is hands,feet, and head. That would be the limiting factor for me in 45 deg water.

I bought a Camaro Blacktec 5.0 from REI for cheap and just tried it out yesterday for the first time. I was amazed.....very toasty....my dry suit is officially retired forever. Didn't find it to be restrictive at all and my body was very warm and mostly dry after my set. I live in Canada so it'll get some very cold water thrown at it in the coming weeks. I'm 6 ft 160 lbs....size medium works well.

• Baller
As @Marco used my 2 mm into low 40 water. Had to use duck hunting neoprene gloves and a neoprene beanie because they were the parts that were getting cold. I have RADAR boots and hence do not feel the cold on my feet to much. I have found that after the set getting out of the Camaro and putting on dry clothes is the key to not getting to cold between sets. Also using dry suit leg straps to keep water from going up the legs is essential.

• Baller

Old thread, but why not:

I tried the 5.0mm Blacktec recently. It seems to be made a bit differently than the 2.0mm, but is still a quality wetsuit.

While I did notice more initial water infiltration into the 5.0mm, I was overall slightly warmer in the 5.0mm than the 2.0mm in very similar water conditions. It was only in 59F water with the 5.0mm so I can't really say how it performs into low temperatures, but I felt like it would have handled low 50's very well.

Still, I chose to stick with my 2.0mm wetsuit. The 5.0mm was a little bit more restrictive than the 2.0mm (obviously), but it wasn't enough to affect my performance. In fact, I actually skied unusually good that day. The deal breaker for me was that I felt the collar was too tight. While I was getting ready to ski, I actually started to get light-headed and my ski partner commented that my face had actually turned very, very red. It loosened up once I got wet, but I never really felt as comfortable in the 5.0mm as I do in the 2.0mm due to the neck.

It is worth noting, that I have a rather slender body-type but my neck is relatively thick. So my experience with the neck tightness may not universally apply to other people. In fact, I would not be surprised at all if I'm one of very few people with neck tightness issues. In summary, Camaro makes a quality product and I think that most people would be very happy with the 5.0mm. I just like my 2.0mm better. :-)

• Baller
Skied a short set yesterday. Air 47 degrees (F) and water 34 degrees (F). 2.0 Camaro full with neoprene beanie and neoprene gloves. In general I was warm enough but my gloves had some leaks and a few fingers started to hurt. Only did 4 passes mostly due to not skiing for a few weeks and trying to hard versus the cold. Baller index was -31.67.