Skiing Technique Questions

lcgordon

• Baller

Ok guys I have been on here alot reading and watching a ton of video. Between watching other skiers that are at my ski level to all the pros videos at 1/4 speed. So here are my questions. I get that I need to get my hips up and my shoulders back. Also that I need to especially on my offside get more on edge through the wake. My problem is with my current form if I really lean through the wakes I feel like or will go out the front because of my improper form. Every time I try to ski with better form I ski worse and dont do it right at all. I also feel that I have alot of problems and it is usually best to pick one thing to think about when skiing but I feel like I kind of have to do alot of things differently to make the change and it all has to happen at once. I am wondering if there is one thing that I could thing about and try to do that would kind of fix the other problems along with it? Also what is the best drills to help learn. I have read about 28@28 idea and think it would be good to try. You are going slower and the wake is smaller so it would be less scary to try something completely new and out of my comfort zone. I apologize about my post because so many of us 15off guys post essentially the same thing but I have read almost all of them and practiced alot and still having the same troubles.

Sorry about the video quality and being vertical its what I have.

• Baller
Another "one thing" - patient at the end of the turn. This will take a little getting used to, but try not to grab and go - don't grab the handle with the free hand until after the ski and hip has come back around under the handle. The idea behind this is that once you load on the handle, your position is sort of locked in. If you wait until the ski and hips have come around and under the handle before you grab and load, then you will likely be more stacked during the subsequent wake crossing. More stacked means less feeling at risk of out the front.

• Baller

@ToddL Ha, Just got off the water a few minutes ago and that is verbatim last thing my ski buddy told me, guess I'm guilty of grabbing and going too.

In the past two weeks something has changed in my poor form and Im getting that very same going out the front at the second wake.

my thoughts are that you are feeling an otf because the boat is pulling you flat as you travel over the wakes. Think about going into 1 ball early and wide, keeping two hands on the handle and keep it close, while in the preturn try bring your inside hip forward as you start letting the handle out with two hands, keep you front knee bent as you do this, let go of the handle at the buoy line and let the ski come around, only grab the handle when it gets back to your hips, now you should be close to the wash and you can lean. Essentially this is a breakdown of not taking the handle early. Ski setup made a huge difference for me too at -15@34

• Baller
I skied this weekend and some of my passes went pretty well. I just was working having straighter arms and pulling through the wakes. I kinda forgot everything that was said on this thread. I was trying to remember but I should have read over it in the morning before I left to go to the lake to refresh. I really like some of the explanations on here so I will be sure to try them next weekend. I was really tired too I learned long line barefoot which kind of took it out of me.

• Baller

I would really like to see your gate setup as well, as we can't see how wide you are and how you rotate into your turn. My guess is that you were too narrow and didn't get in a good leverage position to hold through the gates, as you look narrow into one ball.

I second what Todd says above, but being patient is hard to do, so what I say is to have your off hand at your waist (you are reaching over the top too early at 1,3,5), so focus on keeping that hand on your waist and ski your hip around to the handle and use minimal reach across your body. When you reach across, it helps overload the tip and the ski gets stuck behind you and the tip dives into the water more, thus, yard sale out the front is flashed before your eyes, so you back off into the first wake, when you should be attacking it in strong position.

• Baller

Shoulders open to the boat & head up/shoulders level

You look like you are suffering your away shoulder down and away creating a lot of load and that is causing you to break at the waist. Think about pulling across not away and you'll generate more speed with less load and it will be easier to hold form.

• Baller
Thanks guys for all the comments. I think it will help alot. There are alot of things to work on and take into next season. @A_B I have a better video that I need to get from a buddy that is more recent. Everything that I have is kinda old and I feel that I have progressed some since taken. I think that I am usually pretty wide for the gates I am lined up at the bouy line. But I probably drift in some before I actually cut. I will think about that this weekend when I ski. Saturday is the last day our lake is in.

• Baller
When a skier rounds 2-ball, he or she is already on angle and initiating a lean somewhat. In the gate shot, the skier wants to hit this same angle and lean at about the same point. The only way to do this when starting from an upright gliding position is to be a good bit wider than the buoys during the glide. Imagine if you were to skip 1-ball and start the course just as you pass 2-ball. You will definitely want to be wider than the buoys and you will want to initiate your lean from that width so that you backside 2-ball in your initial lean. Same approach should apply for gates.

• Baller
@ToddL I like that explanation I have not thought about that. At my gates I have trouble sometimes starting the turn. Its like the ski wont turn. Maybe thats because i slow down too much? I know when I round 2 ball im going about 4 times faster than when I start my turn at the gates.

• Baller
Yes. If you are slow to the point of being pulled by the boat before you are turning, than that is too late. Ideally you want to start your turn in just at the moment when your glide is about to match the boat's speed. No load turn in. The means you may have to adjust when, how hard, how long you pull out prior to the gates.

• Baller

I was fortunate to take a set recently with a well know pro. We worked on gates gates gates.

I was loading too hard in my pull out which thus loads ZO, and then I was loading too hard out of my glide as a reaction to the extra pull from ZO.

When I was loading too hard it would stand me up prematurely also causing me to have to go early for the gate and narrow.

Be smooth & progressive from your initial move out from the wake. Go earlier as Todd says.

• Baller
This last weekend was the last day our lake is open. So the course it out until April 1st. It was sad but I skied pretty well. Ive got alot to work on but I skied some of my best 34mph passes and at the end started at 32mph and went up to 3@36 which is not too bad.

I would suggest watching Gordon Rathbun's 12 Slalom Drills. I go back to lesson 7 (Lucky's Drill) and Handle Control lesson Every time I get stuck or start making mistakes You look like you have the talent and the skills, just need to learn the right way to stack and hold that load thru the wakes then edge change with handle control. Good luck and keep at it.