Early 90's Boat Advice

BCM

• Baller

I'm looking at getting my first boat. I have access to a great 3-event site and am looking for a 3-event practice boat. I'm a M2 skier (-35, 110ft, 2000pt) on a budget. A pretty tight budget. I am looking at less than $9k for a skiable boat. I know a ZO boat would be ideal, but isn't going to happen at my price range. With slalom I rarely notice much of a wake difference between boats. I notice a difference with trick and jump but not enough to be too worried about. My biggest concern is the way the boat drives. With our club setup, my ski partners will drive the boat way more than I will and I want them to be happy driving my boat. I am factoring in a PPSG install (mabye Z-Box?) in my budget.

I have spent some time with a wrench in my hand and am not worried about carb issues/rebuilds or even motor rebuilds when necessary. I know a carb is not as friendly when cold, but I am fully able to deal with those types of issues.

I have found a few boats in my price range. Basically 88-94 MC and 90+ Nautique. I would love to find a 94 MC with the GM motor, but those are pretty hard to come by. Within those ranges, what issues should I look out for? I plan to go over the boats with a fine tooth comb, including rudder play and evidence of damage, prop and shaft, tracking fins and motor.

I know the 91-94 MC pretty well (I was the team mechanic in college and we had a '92, I know the boat well), my only question there would be if a 190 with T-top can have the T-top removed without leaving holes and/or mounting brackets.

Any thoughts on the pre '91 MCs?

My other option is the post '91 Nautique (likely pre TSC). I have a few that I have found in the '91 range with the GT40 motor and "No Wake Zone" hull. I have skied this boat and been relatively happy.

I did find a '91 CC that is pretty clean. The pictures actually make it look REALLY clean. It has a closed cooling system. Any thoughts? I often ski in the winter with freezing temps at night or after a few days (lows can range from 45 to 20 during any given winter week). Would the closed cooling system be good or bad? The boat will not be stored in a climate controlled building.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what to look for and what to avoid in the 88-94 MC or post '91 CC would be great.

Thank you.

• Baller

The obvious choices would be to try and find the early 90s Mastercraft or ski Nautique. May be hard to find one for 9000 either equipped or less than that so you have enough left over to install stargazer. As long as the engine is strong cosmetic issues can always be taking care of later. Another boat to consider on a budget may be the ski Brendella you can probably find those anywhere between four and $6000 just have some wood issues that you may have to check out

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/5283029164.html

• Baller

DO NOT BUY a boat with any wood in the stringers. You can count on about $1200-$1400 to add SG with ZBOX. If you slalom, you will want the ZBox for sure.

I would grab as new of a nautique as you can afford. Get the GT-40 if you can. WORKS REALLY well with the SG ZBox. Strong and firm pull.

• Baller
The closed cooling would indicate saltwater use. I love my 93 Ski Nautique, tracks and handles great IMO. Good wake too just not as good as the TSC. Too bad you're a ways from Orlando, theres a not perfect but very high potential appropriate price TSC1 with GT40, PP and '04 trailer for $7900.

• Baller

@ALPjr - That is some useful information, thank you.

@rodltg2 - The MC is a little easier to find in that price range, the Nautique a little harder. I will keep an eye out for the Brendella. I plan on spending some time working on whatever I get... frankly, I have more time than money...

I may have a lead on a pristine 85 MC. Single owner, garage kept, less than 200 hours. Any thoughts on the old Stars and Stripes MC. I know they are all glass, have spray issues, and are small... I think the red and white stars and stripes is one of the best looking boats ever made.

• Baller
@GOODESkier - I'm very scared of wood stringers, I plan to avoid them like the plague. I see SG as a must and Z-box as a bonus. I've skiing behind SG for the past year and really don't notice a huge difference when I ski behind ZO... but I'm not normal, or at least thats what my wife says.

• Baller

@ALPJr - how did that MC drive? I'm a little worried that it may be a trick to keep straight due to how small they are, especially with jump?

Thanks for all of the info. As I move forward I will keep people posted.

• Baller

@BCM a thought.....

If you are on a "private" site. What about doing a club/share boat with another guy or two. $27,000 gets you a pretty darn nice (Even maybe a 196 with ZO....).

I have 1 club boat I buy into, my other two sites I use my own boat. Honestly, I wish I could convince a buddy or two to club boat with me on my other two sites. I have found that to be a GREAT way of skiing for less money!

• Baller

@GOODESkier - There has been some discussion on that front but I think it is still a few years out. I would love to go that route eventually and keep an older "Hot Rod" ski boat for cruising the local reservoirs. I'm working on it, but with Nationals within driving distance this year I want to get something lined up by mid January.

I haven't seen many American Skiers for sale, but I skied behind some late '80s American Skiers as a kid. They were nice boats.

@Mastercraft81SnS - I'll be in touch as I learn more. The boat is owned by a friend of my parents, they are going to get in touch in a week or so.

• Baller
I owned a beautiful '93 Stars&Stripes with SG - 285HO. It was awesome and I never had a problem going from a TXi to my boat. In fact the MC had a better wake. I sold it because I belong to a club and only used it about 5 times a year. I know I could have fun behind anything from '91 MC and beyond. '93 and beyond for Nautique. Any speed control will do... for me!

• Baller

@GOODESkier - I am working on a future deal. Currently the only way I get funding from the wife is if we get a boat we can take to the local reservoirs as well. Not something I really feel comfortable doing with a boat I buy into. I was doing a boat share thing last year and logistics were a pain.

My 5 year goal is a fun little ski boat (e.g. 85 MC) to take camping and to the local lakes and a partnership deal at the private site. I grew up on open water and with kids likely in the somewhat near future, I want to be sure I can provide that experience.

@gregy - Thanks, I am looking across the west, mostly down the I-5 Corridor, but a little into ID, MT and NV.

• Baller

I have a1990 sn with 700 hrs it runs great pp 6.5 and has a sweet wake and most import it drives like its on rails. @GOODESkier has ran many -38 behind the boot. it never stays in the water more than a few hrs then back to storage unit. its worth around 9,000 is my guess. Im not selling it for awhile, A new boat wont help me ski any better. Sn with wood stringers in not a problem they have a metal mount brackets they are not just screwed into the wood stringers like a lot of older woood stringer boats. I would look at 90-96sn

good luck have fun

Deano

• Baller

@Deanoski has a GREAT older Nautique! I keep trying to convince him to sell his 1990 SN and buy into my boat. Then I would leave that boat at our swamp, I mean private ski lake........ Then I would take the cash he gives me and I would buy a new ZO boat for my home site. Just need a partner or two on my home site..........

@BCM if you have the right partner(s) you just set it up on a rotation for the weekends, maybe work out something for the other partner to ski on at Mint on those weekends?