For Those Who Are Tired of Long Drives to the Lake

Mateo_Vargas

• Baller

@Commuterfisher We flew Gordon from one site of mine to another in a floatplane. So he did have the benefit of landing on the water to ski. Flip side was that he hit rollers from the plane and didn't run one of the passes. The floatplane was from a flight school that parked their plane on my lake. Ski lakes are great floatplane runways.

@Horton carries lots of unreasonable fear fetishes. Commercial flying is 10 times safer than driving. Driving is 10 times safer than private flying. Private flying is 10 times safer than riding a motorcycle. Riding a motorcycle is 10 times safer than bicycling. Manage risks but get out on that bicycle to avoid dying of obesity.

@rodltg2 My old 182 cost 13,000, burned cargas and got better mileage than my truck. I was pretty poor when I got that plane but it certainly did not bleed me. On the contrary, it opened up lots of opportunities. My current 210 is a bit more expensive - but still lots cheaper than what I spend on waterskiing.

@Bill22 My 210 autopilot is so good that I shouldn't be able to log the hours from some flights.

@oldjeep Float flying is pure fun. Try it when you get a chance. I picked up a bit of dual in Tavares FL. Great fun.

@"Mateo Vargas" Thanks for the awesome pictures. Fly up to Stan's and take us for a ride! My plane will be parked on his levee so you'll have to splash in.

Eric

• Baller

@eleeski My 172 cost 43k. That was not the big expense. It was the annuals that never were under $1000 like estimated more like $3000-$4000. The audio panel

That failed. The radios that failed both at separate times , The gyro that failed. The hit and run that some sleeze ball pilot nailed the tail of my plane. The winter storm with high winds that damaged the plane. The early TBO Had to replace engine. then I lease back to a flight school that lost my wheel pants and log books. Plus to keep that dam thing at the airport. No thanks I was done.

• Baller

OMG, if you think Ski Boats are expensive, Planes have gone out of sight. Just the engine in my Jet cost 3 times what my SN 200 6L cost. Fuel burn of a gallon a minute. Plus it would only land on water ONE time. I would go with a nice Luxury Motor Home with a "STOCKED" fridge.

• Baller
Three years ago at the Indiana State Championships hosted by the Angola Ski Club, Chuck Walker, landed his seaplane right in the middle of the tournament. Chuck is a club member and lake owner. It was only the "warm up!" Later in the day Chuck entertained the audience with acrobatics in his other stunt plane. It was a great "embellishment" to the tournament.

• Baller

I've always thought skiing and float planes belong together, we've got all these great runways everywhere! This is one of the planes I designed specifically for that purpose (hobby, I am not an aeronautical engineer). @eleeski can I get you to build this for me? I don't have the time.

2ewj962aqrbc.jpg

• Baller

@AdamCord Looks interesting. I'll jump right on it - as soon as I'm done with my twin engine high wing tractor mount. (Never got to the shaping foam stage but I spent a LOT of time dreaming about it.) Kudos to Icon for actually getting it done.

@rodltg2 Bummer about your bad luck. It's not always that tough. Expensive, maybe but worth it.

I bet a large percentage of those following this thread are pilots. Cool! For those who aren't, getting a pilot's license is a very fun and challenging activity. While not cheap, it is more affordable than you expect. Check out a discovery introduction flight lesson.

Eric

• Baller

Yes very challenging especially when I am scared of heights ! Now only bothered by being high up on things attached to the ground . Waterskiing keeps me as close to earth. So no worries there. Snow skiing tho , still can't stand chairlifts. I'm pretty good snow skier but can't handle the chair. Avoid the long and high lifts.

If I ever hit the lotto I'll be buying another. But will hire a pilot to fly it. I'll just do the take off and landings. As long as they are VFR !

• Baller

@"Mateo Vargas" I agree with @mmosley899 . I'm a pilot, too. A few weeks ago someone flying low over the Mississippi thinking it was cool struck power lines that cross the river.

Almost ALWAYS it is pilot error in small planes...often multiple errors in a chain leading toward disaster. There are mechanical problems here and there for sure but that is the rarity.

I might be described as a risky guy in some areas of my life on the ground (automobiles) but I'm conservative as hell in the air--last I checked I'm not a professional pilot I have a different profession so I fly accordingly when the weather is nice, we can fly high, the plane is well maintained and the tanks are full.

My Dad was a pilot, too...much more experienced and better than I. He always said there were old pilots and bold pilots but no old bold pilots.

• Baller

@6balls Pilot error, perhaps. Risky and reckless flying is less common (although over represented in the accident statistics). Sometimes sh!t happens.

I've had 4 engine failures. Did everything right each time after it went quiet. Did enough right before to leave me options. A couple of them had no pilot error factor at all - unless you count getting into an old 150 an error.

The Icon accident at Lake Berryessa was from the pilot (who was very familiar with the area) taking a wrong turn into a box canyon. Too easy a mistake to make - all those shorelines look the same. Always cross check to maintain your situational awareness. Pilot error for sure but not absurdly risky behavior.

Eric

• Baller
@eleeski I did not finish my flight school, maybe pick it up again after my upcoming retirement? I belonged to a club that owned two 1960 vintage Cessna 150s in West Virginia. But, my instructor let me take my first lesson in his 182 Skylane with variable pitch prop and retractable gear. Flew over the mountains of West Virginia, the New River Gorge and on to Myrtle Beach. Sweet. My next flight, in a 150 I experienced a radio issue like @rodltg2 and @LoopSki mentioned. Could receive, not transmit. But, no big deal, tower figured it out and instructed me in. Fun!

• Baller
Oh, and the second flight in one of the old 150s the engine quit just as I touched down. Quick restart and we taxied on in. So, @eleeski guess you might be right, pilot error getting in those old 150s. :smile:

• Baller

@Zman Definitely finish your license. Even if you go in a 150. Visceral pleasure.

@C5Quest Flying shares many traits with water skiing. Both take focus and dedication. Both take money. Both are physically and mentally challenging. Both are fun. There are a lot of pilot waterskiers. Cool!

Get the Icon, fly to my lake, land on the water and take me for a ride. I'll give you a ski ride.

Eric

• Baller

@eleeski. That’s why I asked. I’m a career military pilot and airline pilot. I’ve grown up around pilots and we all gravitate toward things like waterskiing, motorcycles, and guns. Not sure I can afford an A5 right now but looking at other options. Where’s Your Lake? I’ll still ski

• Baller

@C5Quest Near MOMAR intersection on the north east side of the Salton sea in southern California. Water's still 70f and I had a good ride today. I also bum rides in San Diego and might be able to hook you up there.

My 210 is in the radio shop so no flying until it's fixed. But that's the easy way to my lake!

Eric

• Baller

VFR into IFR, get home-itis, fuel management, plane loaded over-weight or out of weight and balance, pressing on into deteriorating conditions, flight into known icing, low altitude maneuvering problems, attempting to land below weather minimums, crash during a go-around for failed approach in IMC...most of this stuff is pilot error.

These errors are far more common stuff in the accident statistics (particularly fatal accidents) than engine failure (for failures sake not running out of fuel--a pilot error), auto pilot failure, failure of primary flight controls.

If my engine quits at a reasonable altitude to give me some options, and I'm not over the mountains or endless water (two places I don't go)...most likely I'll be ok. For me fly high in good weather. I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here.

• Baller

I’ve been out of general aviation for 20 years but as @6balls said the stories are all the same for GA accidents/incidents. Most all can be avoided with risk management and not having egos bigger than your flying skills. I guess on the water we can get away with it and live. Honestly after flying heavies for so long the GA thing makes me nervous but I’d love to get back into it again.