End of Season Ski Care

Nando

• Baller

There's been some discussion of winterizing boats and as I was putting my ski stuff away for the season, I realized I must be much more anal retentive than normal skiers. Before I put my skis away for the winter, I:

Measure and remove the fin.

Remove the bindings.

Clean the ski bottom.Wax the top sheet (I know, I know, but it takes about 30 seconds), fix any dings, check inserts.

Clean and lubricate fin screws.

Replace and re-measure the fin.

Replace bindings and replace any bad binding screws.

Other equipment gets a kind of going-over so it's ready when spring comes. What do others do?

Oops- this was my first attempt at a poll and I left off some of the options, including "what's winter?"

• Baller

You need to ski more. No winterizing. Just shake the spiders and scorpions out of the boots and vest in the spring. (Yes, the scorpion in my vest did sting me - but it didn't cure any diseases or make me ski better so now I check).

Eric

PS never wax a waterski.

• Members

@eleeski When @AdamCord was still dialing in the art of resin transfer molding for the O'Brien Elite, he sent me a prototype that hadn't fully "wet out" so there was exposed carbon on the bottom of the ski that would expand when wet. Andy Mapple told me to just wax it. I rubbed some snow ski wax on and voila; it didn't absorb water anymore and didn't affect the way the ski rode either! Now, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't ever wax a normal ski bottom, or top(dings/scratches/fade give it character), but I don't think the surface of a ski has much effect on performance. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm way off base here.

To stay on topic though....tried and true back up skis go in the basement for longevity. Current ski stays in the below freezing garage to earn its right to be used the next season. If it absorbed any water leading to delamination issues when said absorbed water expands then I don't want to be using it anyway...

• Baller

@CaleBurdick I've skied a couple skis with mold release on them and cleaned skis with a waxy cleaner (why do I clean things?). These skis have felt terrible. A quick scrubbing with Comet or Ajax noticeably changed the feel. Also, every mod that I've tried with a quickie paraffin shaping has not worked. However, it is good to hear of a successful use of wax - I can be a bit more open minded.

What is this freezing thing you guys are talking about?

Eric