Deadlift weight??

Rivvy

• Baller
I'm taking some advice from the group and adding deadlifts into my workout routine. I always suffer every spring from low back pain so I'm starting now. The question I have is suggested weight and reps? I'm currently incorporating 3 sets of 8 twice a week and have worked up to 200 lbs. Im a smaller guy at 5'9" 175. I don't want to overdue it.

• Baller
I like going heavy, working up to a single at about 95%. From there I go back down ending around a weight I can do for 5 or 6 reps. You may want to start out doing 5x5, increasing weight steadily and slowly every workout. Start at a weight you can fairly easily handle so you can progress steadily. Make sure you get your form down before you start lifting heavier. Glad to see someone lifting some weights instead of that functional training medicine ball crap that supposedly "translated to waterskiing"! Get strong!

• Baller

Before you ramp up the weight I would have someone check your form to make sure it is solid. Generally I only deadlift one day a week. I make sure to do a good warm up of 3-5 sets starting at about 50% of my target for the day and increasing in about 20 lb increments until I get just below my target.

Usually I work a pyramid of 3-4 week chunks. I will do 5 reps the first week for 3 sets then increase the weight next week by 10-20 lbs depending on how I feel and do 3 reps then increase again and do 1 rep. The following week I go back to the middle week weight and do 5 reps and repeat the cycle with increasing weight.

It is a great exercise.

• Baller
Thanks for tips! Razorross3 is right. Skiing is about done in our neck of the woods. Ice will be here in the next couple of weeks. I will find a trainer to check my form. So far it feels great. I have very slowly worked up to where I am today. I will add a few sets and continue to add weight. I hope I can stick with it and that it translates in the spring.

• Baller

The hex bar protects you from hitting yourself but it allows form breaks. Better end results with good form on the straight bar in my opinion.

Number 1 way to hurt yourself with the lift is if you allow your hips to rise faster than your shoulders. Now your legs are extended but you're still bent at the waist and have to finish the lift with all of the load on your back.

My checklist for the lift

1) 100% of your weight and drive through your heels, never toes

2) shoulders are always over top of your knees from the bottom to the top of the lift, if this is ever not true then you are bent over forward and straining your back or bent over bavkwards and likely falling over.

3) you want to drive your hips up and forwards. At the top of the rep I have a slight backwards curve to my body

4) to help keep your shoulders in place and help reduce/eliminate shin scrapes I flex my lats in order to pull my shoulder blades down.

• Baller
Stay lighter and focus on form for a while. then increase the weight slowly. between 8 and 10 reps 3 sets is what I do combined with with squats and barbell rows. Its enough for me. You dont want to get injured lifting too much weight and scap your season.

• Baller

I'd listen to the Ross advice.

It has been years since I lifted any weight but when I did the deadlift was one of my favorite. Only advice I have/that I got that really helped, was that the bar should practically drag my shins until my knees...I see @RasorRoss3 gave advice to avoid shin scrapes though.

I mainly did 5x5s and 10-8-6-4-2s. Each for I think 6 weeks. For what it is worth at the time I weighed 145 and when we did a max push I hit 330 on the lift. But I had a belt, lots of time working form and I cheated and used the wrist wraps around the bar.

Now I just heat with wood for my off season workouts!