Which Spray Leg to Purchase?

DefectiveDave

• Baller

Hey ballers,

I damaged my Camaro Blacktec two weeks ago when my shin hit my reflex boot during a fall. It was just a nick at first, but I didn't realize it until it was too late and it ended up getting much worse during my next deep water start.

Anyway, it doesn't look possible at this point to repair the neoprene so I've started wearing a spray leg over it. This works very well and there's the added benefit that it prevents any water from going up my rear leg while skiing. However, the spray leg I have is very rigid and a bit too small. I'm going to order a larger one and I seem to have a few options from radar, eagle, straightline, and body guard.

Does anyone have an idea of which one of these (or maybe one I haven't mentioned) might be the best option? It doesn't need to be very thick. I actually prefer it to be thin and flexible to make it easier to fit over the wetsuit. Thanks!

• Baller

Perhaps gluing a thin wetsuit material patch to the outside of the torn neoprene would work. Plus it might offer a bit of protection from the Reflex.

Of course if you get a good spray leg, you can use it year around. If a spray leg makes you ski better (or at least with less pain) go for it!

I've always just cut the leg off an old wetsuit (sometimes an arm if I want a tight fit) for my spray legs. My high Intuition rear liner works as a great spray leg. But I want to try a toe kicker and might need a good spray leg for that.

Eric

• Baller

@DefectiveDave beside tha choice of spray leg if you also want to repair your Camaro which is fairly easy use contact adhesive on the patch and the suit.

Contact Adhesive works great with Camaro suits. Neoprene glue works for any other neoprene suit but does not bond well with Camaro material.

• Baller

@wtrskior and @rodltg2 ,

I would gladly wear a pink spray leg if it was functional, haha.

I'm going to check out the suggestions of @gsm_peter and @oldjeep. The spray leg I currently have is great in the spring, but maybe the design considerations for my current use case are a little different. Plus, there is the added benefit of being able to try it on in the store. Thanks!

@skialex and @eleeski ,

I'll post a picture this evening when I get home. There's actually a small patch about 1 inch in diameter that has come loose. It is still hanging on by a bit of material though. Perhaps it's more repairable than I thought.

• Baller
I am using a Radar spray leg and really like it, makes skiing pain free. I would suggest that it fits you snugly as I have found after 2 seasons it sometimes slips down when starting, making concentration on what you are doing difficult. And skiing painful.

• Baller

@DefectiveDave I've repaired worse damage than that. Hasn't lasted forever though. I'd repair the tear and glue the fabric back on (it might get messy with wetsuit glue). A thin layer of wetsuit material glued on the outside as a pad will help it last a bit better. It won't look great though...

Do follow the wetsuit glue directions carefully. Apply, let dry, reapply, wait to minutes and join the pieces. Good luck, Eric

• Baller

Turn the leg inside out and glue a neopreme patch on it. Use wetsuit glue and neopreme because it is flexible. A piece of neopreme can usually be found in sewing stores if you haven't kept old suits for scrap. Camaro stuff is pretty stretchy and I wonder if they would send you a piece of scrap material to match flex property. If the patch is stiffer, it would take more stress and not last as long.

If that doesn't work, you could 1. Send back to mfg for repair 2. Cut the leg off shorter and apply wetsuit glue on the new end. 3. Keep it for scrap pieces.

• Baller

@DefectiveDave it is repairable, I have repaired worst than this, I too used neoprene glue in most of my repairs which works with great results in all other suits such as O'neill's and scuba suits but I have found that contact adhesive works better in Camaro's and the repair can outlast the suit itself.

Alex,

• Baller

@DefectiveDave did you know that Camaro's come with guarantee of replacing the suit no questions asked?

They will replace your suit with the new one if you send it to them even if it was your fault. This guarantee applies in Europe and I believe it should apply in the US too.

• Baller_
Buy one size smaller than your ego says you need. Struggling to get a size small on and off but having it stay in place when skiing is worth the extra effort. As with anything that gets wet, if it fits well in the store, it's too big. If it's too big, it will catch water and ride up your leg.

Lpskier

• Baller

@skialex and @A_B,

Interesting, I wasn't aware of the repair guarantee with Camaro. It looks like it should apply in the states:

http://www.camaro.at/en/company/drei_jahres_service.php

I'll call them on Monday and report back. This might be the best option as I have some tape coming loose on the inside as well. I've tried repairing it with urethane adhesive but it hasn't been very effective for that purpose (consistent with @skialex 's observations as well).

• Baller

@skialex ,

It seems as though the 3-year warranty mentioned on this website does not apply in the USA:

http://www.camaro.at/en/company/drei_jahres_service.php

Apparently that policy is only a 1-year manufacturer defect warranty. I called the number listed on the website. I just realized you are based in Greece so apparently the policy is different in the EU. Thanks!

I'm going to try messaging @waterskigirl per @MattP suggestion to see if there is another approach to fixing it.

• Baller

@DefectiveDave I'm sory to hear that but although Camaro's are fragile they offer great fit and DIY repairs are not that difficult.

I suggest not to use a pach, cover the surround area with masking tape (and the top of the loose piece and spread contact adhesive (or neoprene glue) on both the blue and the neoprene sides, wait for about 10-15 min and then bond them and use some more masking tape to hold them in place.

It takes some patience but the end result could be quite good with only a small seam to remind you the cut.

Good luck,

Alex,