Boat cover

fu_man

• Baller
I need a new boat cover. The one I had was cheap and didn't breath and I had some mildew growth on the bottom side of it. I added some vents and that seemed to help. I intend on getting a Sunbrella cover which is supposed to breath and thus prevent mold. I am wondering if I should add vents with the Sunbrella fabric when I order it or if the breathable fabric is enough on its own. When I search "Sunbrella & mold" there are discussions out there about cleaning mildew off of Sunbrella fabric. This may be an indication Sunbrella is good at mildew prevention but not perfect. Anyone with any experience with this?

• Baller

Have owned 4 covers over the years and dealt with several others on boats I've used. If the cover fits really tight, the condensation gets trapped and mildew happens. If you have big enough vents, even a vinyl cover will be fine. For reference, a vent the size of your fist on each side are not big enough IMO.

If the cover fits too tight and you can't get vents big enough, have a small fan on a timer under your cover to circulate the air enough to get it out through the smaller vents.

The last cover I bought was from boatcoversdirect.com. They have a lot of options on closeout covers for pretty cheap and one may work perfectly for you.

• Baller
Agree with @LZywicki1 on skiboatcovers.com. I've had a waterline sunbrella cover on my boat for 8+ years and it sits on the lift year round. Just noticed some thread starting to come loose at one of the high stress seams. Otherwise it's still in great shape. No problem with mildew.

• Supporting Member

Also loved skiboatcovers.com work.

Get the vents for sure -- they made a big difference. But if your spot is wet and shaded enough, like mine, then nothing will completely stop mildew from forming.

But one or two times a year spraying with Tilex wipes it out. I've heard some claim that bleach ultimately erodes either their fabric or their stitching, but my ski partner cleans fabrics for a living and he says it's fine because it's all synthetic materials. I personally have never suffered any damage. And also no color issues, even for black fabric. Tried on Nautique '05 and Nautique '07 fwiw.

• Supporting Member

Also loved skiboatcovers.com work.

Get the vents for sure -- they made a big difference. But if your spot is wet and shaded enough, like mine, then nothing will completely stop mildew from forming.

But one or two times a year spraying with Tilex wipes it out. I've heard some claim that bleach ultimately erodes either their fabric or their stitching, but my ski partner cleans fabrics for a living and he says it's fine because it's all synthetic materials. I personally have never suffered any damage. And also no color issues, even for black fabric. Tried on Nautique '05 and Nautique '07 fwiw.

• Baller
If mildew is a big problem. I have found some damp rid stuff at dollar general. It works great to dry things out. At a dollar a bucket it is an inexpensive solution. Just set it in next to the engine cover and then cover the boat. I do like one brand over the other as it has a breathable fabric that keeps the desiccant in. The other is just an open bucket.

• Baller
If mildew is a big problem. I have found some damp rid stuff at dollar general. It works great to dry things out. At a dollar a bucket it is an inexpensive solution. Just set it in next to the engine cover and then cover the boat. I do like one brand over the other as it has a breathable fabric that keeps the desiccant in. The other is just an open bucket.

• Baller

I got my boat cover from baldmikes.com on the suggestion of the Malibu crew forum. I got the Westlund cover for my 1999 Malibu Response LX. It has 2 vents behind the the windshield. Sunbrella 9 1/4 oz. Mike sent me extra material to alter the cover to fit around my wakeboard tower with Velcro tabs. There are reinforced padded areas at all wear points, windshield, ski pole etc. It covers the swim step and tightens down tight. I had a local upholsterer do the alterations for the wakeboard tower. Looks great and works great. The upholsterer said he couldn't buy the Sunbrella material for what I paid for the cover. Not sure if this is true.

Goldenrod dehumidifier or Eva Dry controls mildew.

http://www.amazon.com/GoldenRod-inch-Saver-Dehumidifier-GS-18/dp/B005FRGQUG#customerReviews