Help me pick a stationary bike....

Fast351

• Baller

OK, I am shopping for a new piece of exercise gear. Just a little history:

I used to be a pretty active runner. I ran 3-5 times a week for 45 minutes at a time, outside during the summer, and inside during the winter on a pretty decent treadmill. Great cardio workout, allowed me to keep in pretty decent shape.

Fast forward to spring 2015, and my right knee started being painful enough to where it hurt to ascend stairs. I pushed myself too far when it was just uncomfortable pain, to the point where I did damage. Was diagnosed with IT Band Syndrome, which is really common for people that run a lot. Basically it's a tendon inflamation that is cause by rubbing across the end of the femur. I tried taking a month off and doing PT, and another month off, and another, and the pain returned almost immediately when I started running again (within a couple miles). Something had to change.

So I started biking, and I find I like that a lot. Great workout, more to see because you're covering more ground, and much easier on the body. Only problem, I live in Minnesota, so biking outdoors is pretty much out of the question 6 months a year, because the days are short and the ground is covered by snow. I have started doing very mild treadmill workouts, with no incline, and limited speed, to get some cardio in, but I can tell I'm headed back for problems.

So now I want to get something to ride bike indoors. I know there are several options out there, from a trainer that uses my road bike as a platform, to spinning, upright, and recumbant workout machines. There are so many options out there, I'm kind of trying to sort my way through it, but surely some of you guys must have gone through this and can give some advise. I'd like to keep it to stuff you have personal experience with.

So what have you used, and what works for you?

For fun and breaking up the monotony of indoor cycling check out Zwift (www.zwift.com).

There are smart trainers & dumb trainers. Smart ones can control the resistance so it seems like a real virtual ride (or use in erg mode for specific workouts). There are high end smart trainers where you take off your wheel (wahoo kickr, tacx neo), some where you hook up your tire (tacx vortex smart is what I have and a pretty good price-performance pick).

Dumb trainers won't be controlled and you can either use simulated power with a cadence/speed meter or real power if you have a power meter ($$). You could use zwift with rollers too if you have a power meter.

They recently released workout mode so you can either do a free ride on the island or one of the predefined workouts, or with the workout editor make up your own.

For fun and breaking up the monotony of indoor cycling check out Zwift (www.zwift.com).

There are smart trainers & dumb trainers. Smart ones can control the resistance so it seems like a real virtual ride (or use in erg mode for specific workouts). There are high end smart trainers where you take off your wheel (wahoo kickr, tacx neo), some where you hook up your tire (tacx vortex smart is what I have and a pretty good price-performance pick).

Dumb trainers won't be controlled and you can either use simulated power with a cadence/speed meter or real power if you have a power meter ($$). You could use zwift with rollers too if you have a power meter.

They recently released workout mode so you can either do a free ride on the island or one of the predefined workouts, or with the workout editor make up your own.

• Baller
I had a set about 10 years ago when I was still doing sprint triathalons, used a wall to hold myself up to get started the first few times but if you have decent balance I don't think it is very hard. Couldn't stand the mag trainer I had, didn't feel like biking.

• Baller
I had a set about 10 years ago when I was still doing sprint triathalons, used a wall to hold myself up to get started the first few times but if you have decent balance I don't think it is very hard. Couldn't stand the mag trainer I had, didn't feel like biking.

• Baller

$2K is a little more than I'm looking to spend.

I have not ruled out rowing machines either. I am a little leery because I haven't tried one to see how my ITBS would react to it. I know if I don't go nuts with a bike that I don't have issues, which is why I was looking at stationaries...

• Baller

$2K is a little more than I'm looking to spend.

I have not ruled out rowing machines either. I am a little leery because I haven't tried one to see how my ITBS would react to it. I know if I don't go nuts with a bike that I don't have issues, which is why I was looking at stationaries...

• Baller

In the same situation, few years ago after injury, my choice was spin-bike.

Using LeMond Revmaster Pro

http://www.lemondfitness.com/sites/lemond/upload/products/3-large-lg.jpg?1260493387

1Mil % reliable, needs nearly zero maintenance ( just few drops of oil to leather brake pad a week)

Minimum electronics, also could be used in 100% mechanical mode -all you need is heart beats monitor (smartwatch eliminate this issue :smile: ).

Before I got electronics block I used Mavic velo comp for cadence control.

Yes, I may by not cheap stuff, but u get absolutely immortal device that may by used for ages.

• Baller

In the same situation, few years ago after injury, my choice was spin-bike.

Using LeMond Revmaster Pro

http://www.lemondfitness.com/sites/lemond/upload/products/3-large-lg.jpg?1260493387

1Mil % reliable, needs nearly zero maintenance ( just few drops of oil to leather brake pad a week)

Minimum electronics, also could be used in 100% mechanical mode -all you need is heart beats monitor (smartwatch eliminate this issue :smile: ).

Before I got electronics block I used Mavic velo comp for cadence control.

Yes, I may by not cheap stuff, but u get absolutely immortal device that may by used for ages.

• Baller
@Fast351 I got IT Band years ago also, it was extremely difficult to get over, I ended up giving running away because of it and have recently started again with no problem. Shocking thing for a runner to be afflicted with, good luck with the cycling.

• Baller
@Fast351 I got IT Band years ago also, it was extremely difficult to get over, I ended up giving running away because of it and have recently started again with no problem. Shocking thing for a runner to be afflicted with, good luck with the cycling.

• Baller

I'll third the C2 rower!

Great training machine!

Picked up mine right at the factory in Vermont.They sometimes have deals on rowers that were used once or twice in group competitions...

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

I'll third the C2 rower!

Great training machine!

Picked up mine right at the factory in Vermont.They sometimes have deals on rowers that were used once or twice in group competitions...

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

My wife has a spin bike and I go back and forth between a mag trainer (dumb version with set resistance) and rollers. Time required to get comfortable on rollers will depend on you. I know some people that never got comfortable and others who took a few minutes. If you have good bike handling skills it shouldn't be bad. My wife loves the spin bike. I can't stand the spin bike. If I was the sole user and had it dialed I might like it, but being that I have to adjust it every time I get on it I struggle with it.

I like rollers for base miles, just spin for however long you can. The mag trainer is a little safer to hammer on.

I picked up a spare rear wheel that I put a cheap tire on for the trainer. They will eat tires. The one I am using has shot bearings, but it spins and was free. It makes it a little easier in the fall/spring when you might get out on the road one day and be stuck inside the next.

• Baller

My wife has a spin bike and I go back and forth between a mag trainer (dumb version with set resistance) and rollers. Time required to get comfortable on rollers will depend on you. I know some people that never got comfortable and others who took a few minutes. If you have good bike handling skills it shouldn't be bad. My wife loves the spin bike. I can't stand the spin bike. If I was the sole user and had it dialed I might like it, but being that I have to adjust it every time I get on it I struggle with it.

I like rollers for base miles, just spin for however long you can. The mag trainer is a little safer to hammer on.

I picked up a spare rear wheel that I put a cheap tire on for the trainer. They will eat tires. The one I am using has shot bearings, but it spins and was free. It makes it a little easier in the fall/spring when you might get out on the road one day and be stuck inside the next.

• Baller

I used to have a set of rollers and didn't find them that hard to get used to. If you hold a good line when you ride already it isn't that difficult. I set a chair up next to me to hold on when I started. You do need to make sure that you pay attention on the rollers though it isn't totally mindless.

I would love that Peloton bike with the online spinning classes but I am not ready to spend 2K.

• Baller

I used to have a set of rollers and didn't find them that hard to get used to. If you hold a good line when you ride already it isn't that difficult. I set a chair up next to me to hold on when I started. You do need to make sure that you pay attention on the rollers though it isn't totally mindless.

I would love that Peloton bike with the online spinning classes but I am not ready to spend 2K.

+1 for rollers. Great for balance and spin, especially if you have a fixed gear bike.

I have some IT band issues as well. Skiing is not the best for it. With both feet in line the Q factor is severe. Not much you can do about it when skiing, but there are a few things that can help on a bike.

I have moved my cleats all the way to the inside of the shoe so my feet are wider. You can also put spacers in on the pedal spindles to move those further to the outside.

They also make snow bikes if you can't tolerate being inside. Specialized fatboy

+1 for rollers. Great for balance and spin, especially if you have a fixed gear bike.

I have some IT band issues as well. Skiing is not the best for it. With both feet in line the Q factor is severe. Not much you can do about it when skiing, but there are a few things that can help on a bike.

I have moved my cleats all the way to the inside of the shoe so my feet are wider. You can also put spacers in on the pedal spindles to move those further to the outside.

They also make snow bikes if you can't tolerate being inside. Specialized fatboy

• Baller

I ended up ordering the Concept 2 Model D today. I can't wait to get it, it really looks like the bad boy of indoor exercising as far as whole-body cardio workouts go.

I might wind up with a trainer yet for my bike. The CycleOps Fluid2 seems to be the right balance between price and performance.

As far as IT band with skiing, I may not be doing enough sets to notice, but I haven't really had any issues with it. Hopefully that trend continues.

• Baller

I ended up ordering the Concept 2 Model D today. I can't wait to get it, it really looks like the bad boy of indoor exercising as far as whole-body cardio workouts go.

I might wind up with a trainer yet for my bike. The CycleOps Fluid2 seems to be the right balance between price and performance.

As far as IT band with skiing, I may not be doing enough sets to notice, but I haven't really had any issues with it. Hopefully that trend continues.

• Baller

As a relevant aside, I rode an Airdyne for the first time today. Unbelievable device of ultimate torture. This thing is straight from hell.

So this week is testing week at CrossFit, and today the test was deadlift (pulled 305) and a 1 minute ride for max cals on the Airdyne fan bike, AKA "satan's tricycle". I'm going to talk about the second part. I have never ridden one of these old things but I remember them being very common in the 80's as a kid, in lots of living rooms out there.

How bad could it be, right? I mean 60 seconds, big deal. I went all out and within 10 seconds I was totally gassed. Tried to keep up the pace through 30 seconds then really tapered off in an act of survival for the final 30 seconds. TIME HAS NEVER MOVED MORE SLOWLY. It took me probably 5-10 minutes to recover afterward from 1 minute on that machine of death. Keep in mind I've been doing completely insane high-intensity workouts for 3 years now and I'm more "conditioned" than the average bear but this machine brought me to my knees. Apparently it is because it forces the heart to pump to both arms and legs simultaneously and NEVER lets up so there is NO chance for the body to recover on the device. I pulled a mere 31 cals in 60 seconds, but that is 1 cal every 2 SECONDS! The machine is capable of forcing over 1 cal per second worth of energy out of you.

Anyway, I'm amazed that this old dust-collecting relic from 30 years ago is still relevant and is now actually showing up in gyms.