skiing with fusions?

19skier

• Baller

Not clear on "L6-3 pars defect repair" @l9skier. Having said that, I suspect you will be able to ski again at some point. Were you my patient, I would recommend taking at least one season off to allow adequate fusion.

Importantly though you must understand that doing so may place you at higher risk of requiring adjacent segment surgery in the future. A c3-7 is a long construct ....this then places substantial load onto C2/3 and C7/T1 and so those levels are subject to future failure...repeated neck hyperflexion/extension from slalom falls may increase that risk. If I were in your shoes, I would find that risk worth taking to continue skiing...but that's me.

Maybe @6balls and others can weigh in as well ... several have had fusions/spine surgery.

• Baller
@Booze...disc replacement isn't a bad option for pure cervical disc herniation and arguably can prevent adjacent segment failure. However, it is only indicated for one or two levels in patients with disc herniations but minimal osteophytes (bone spurs). I would bet that most hard core skiers have significant osteophytes due to repeated minor neck trauma and therefore would not be candidates for replacement.

• Baller

I had an L4-L5 laminectomy with fusion in October of 2014, and was cleared to ski in the spring of 2015. I took it easy at first but ended up shortening the line as the season went on. I can definitely feel the stress on my adjacent joints, so I take care not to over do things like I used to.

Not sure if a cervical fusion has different healing times than lumbar fusions, but I was cleared for full activity after 6 months.

• Baller

@booze - to clarify, small foraminal osteophytes can still be addressed with replacement. However, substantial osteophytes or arthritis of the joints in the back of the spine (facets) cannot. All of the manufacturers and and most insurers include these as contraindications. Some of that may be due to how the studies were set up to gain FDA approval - i.e. eliminate those likely to fail and cherry pick those likely to succeed. I suspect the rationale is as follows:

Osteophytes - with substantial osteophytes a significant portion of bone must be removed and the structural integrity of the disc space is violated and therefore the space into which the artificial disc is inserted has fewer surfaces upon which to anchor

Facets/osteophytes - in both cases, you are dealing with a degenerated segment which likely not only creates pain due to nerve compression but also from movement of the joints themselves. Obviously if the goal is to eliminate pain, motion needs to be eliminated.

A bit technical but hope that helps.

• Baller
I had C5-6, C6-7 fused in 1996 and I'm still skiing and competing with no apparent issues. My surgeon said that once the fusion was complete, I could do anything I did before except for some loss of range of movement. For me, the most loss is looking up while side to side and down seem to be relatively unaffected.